CrazyBoards.org

My Prof, consultant and GP have allowed me to take Xanax recreationally

I was put in hospital for a while and tested for withdrwal symptoms. THe docs came to the conclusion that I am virtually immune to benzo withdrawal, and can take high amounts instead of alcohol.

Mind you, the prof said that it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of strong lagers with the Xanax.

I can take up to 50mg of Xanax 5 times a week.

It really helps.

By the way, the doc who at first advised it, is one of the most knowledgeable about benzos in Europe.

50 mgs of xanax??? you sure that is the right dosage you meant?? 50 mgs would put me in a coffin...

2-3 mgs is what i'm allowed daily and i barely ever reach that......

Yes I am sure. And it is mild for me at that.

We have talked about going up to 100mg.

Have you seen the Prescribing Information sheet put out bu the manufacturer of Xanax?

http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_xanax.pdf

The largest dosage the pill comes in is 2mg. Are you taking 25 of these at once? According to the manufacturer the maximum reccomended dosage for humans is 10mg per day. I would seriously consider consulting another doctor if your is okaing more than this.

I was put in hospital for a while and tested for withdrwal symptoms. THe docs came to the conclusion that I am virtually immune to benzo withdrawal, and can take high amounts instead of alcohol.

Mind you, the prof said that it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of strong lagers with the Xanax.

I can take up to 50mg of Xanax 5 times a week.

It really helps.

By the way, the doc who at first advised it, is one of the most knowledgeable about benzos in Europe.

UN -

From the PI sheet for Xanax: In addition, fatalities have been reported in patients who have overdosed with a combination of a single benzodiazepine, including alprazolam [Xanax], and alcohol.

My friend, I don't care if this pdoc is one of the most knowledgeable in Europe. This is reckless, and I suspect his peers would react with sharp concern over the ethicality of your treatment.

Immune to withdrawal you may be, but that does not necessarily mean you are immune to the potential life-threatening effects of high doses, and you're talking about possibly upping your dose by an order of magnitude above the maximum safe dose. You're young, my friend, but you're not immortal. And you know, what if you're not as immune as he thinks? My dad is very resistant to poison ivy. So much so, in fact, that he once rubbed the leaves vigorously on his arms to demonstrate. It ate him alive.

It sounds like you're saying that you're immune to addiction. That would be remarkable if true, but whether or not you are at risk for addiction doesn't mean you're not at risk for other serious health effects like, say, cardiopulmonary collapse.

Also, and note this, you've recently been taking as much as 100mg of Prozac(fluoxetine). This too is from the Xanax PI sheet: Coadministration of fluoxetine with alprazolam increased the maximum plasma concentration of alprazolam by 46%, decreased clearance by 21%, increased half-life by 17%,

and decreased measured psychomotor performance. And this is true of any drug that inhibits the CYP3A pathway. In other words, whether you feel it or not, you could be at risk of building up enough Xanax in your system to overdose. Especially with alcohol. Add to this that the same kind of risk occurs with certain narcotic pain relievers and even grapefruit juice.

I understand that you are on the NHS, but this won't do at all. Talk to your folks and see if there's any way they could help you shell out for a private consultation for a second opinion. You're scaring me.

Cerberus

I wonder if somebody is pulling our leg(s).

I assure you that I am deadly serious.

I'm not even close to willing to believe this.

you're either deluded, confused, or your doctor wants you to kill yourself.

regardless, you need a second opinion.

I have had a second opinion.

Username, please don't take this rudely but, what is the point of your post? Were you looking for shared expierences, second opinions, etc?

The use of the word "recreationally: in this post is what concerns me even more then the amount of xanax you have been taking.

on Wikipedia recreatiopal (as pertaining to drugs) is definied as "Recreational drug use is the use of psychoactive drugs for recreational purposes rather than for work, medical or spiritual purposes" The use of Xanax in a recreational sense in the spirit of how most people definie recreational, means that the use would be illegal. As per our user agreement

"If you want to talk about your involvement in any past or present illegal activities, that's fine by us but if any law enforcement officials come knocking on my door I'm going to give them what they ask for."

Just a word of warning.

Username, please don't take this rudely but, what is the point of your post? Were you looking for shared expierences, second opinions, etc?

The use of the word "recreationally: in this post is what concerns me even more then the amount of xanax you have been taking.

on Wikipedia recreatiopal (as pertaining to drugs) is definied as "Recreational drug use is the use of psychoactive drugs for recreational purposes rather than for work, medical or spiritual purposes" The use of Xanax in a recreational sense in the spirit of how most people definie recreational, means that the use would be illegal. As per our user agreement

"If you want to talk about your involvement in any past or present illegal activities, that's fine by us but if any law enforcement officials come knocking on my door I'm going to give them what they ask for."

Just a word of warning.

I'm a lawyer and nobody can touch me, so no need to warn.

If you don't like this thread, then by all means delete it.

I posted it to show that sometimes it is necessary to use drugs recreationally for theraputic value.

If it saves your life, then it is a good thing.

Just a word of warning.

I'm a lawyer and nobody can touch me, so no need to warn.

If you don't like this thread, then by all means delete it.

I posted it to show that sometimes it is necessary to use drugs recreationally for theraputic value.

If it saves your life, then it is a good thing.

You say you are a lawyer and YET on another thread you say:

Since you asked, I'm a law student, taking a year out.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but if you have not finished law school and have not passed the bar exam, you are NOT a lawyer no matter what you would like to tell yourself...

... and even if you were a lawyer, which you most certainly are not, no lawyer is above the law. Lawyers can get their asses kicked as well for breaking the law. Don't kid yourself...

Archived