CrazyBoards.org

I find it very soothing sometimes to listen to music that has a real minor key, strained vocal, kind of vibe. I will listen to almost any type except country(no offence). Some artists I find that fit the bill are Peter Gabriel, Kip Winger, soundtrack to Braveheart etc. I know its weird wanting to hear depressing music when I am suffering from depression, but I need it to fit my mood. If any of my fellow crayboard sufferers want to hear an excellent song to describe crap feelings, try and download "Landslide" by Kip Winger, This is the some of the lyrics to give you an idea

"There's a crack in the sky speaking to me

Is it a way out or some kind of trick?

I don't know who to trust or what to believe

Any rescue from here?

Landslide inside my head

You should be able to find it on say "Limewire" which is what I use, or other peer to peer software. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I find Beethoven often depressing despite his works having a fair amount of movement.

Mahler's work tends to be low and slow like molasses moving along, which you might find depressing. For some reason I find Mahler quite peaceful with themes and melody that pop out surprisingly.

a.m. (don't get too carried away with stuff that encourage your depression)

I find it very soothing sometimes to listen to music that has a real minor key, strained vocal, kind of vibe. I will listen to almost any type except country(no offence). Some artists I find that fit the bill are Peter Gabriel, Kip Winger, soundtrack to Braveheart etc. I know its weird wanting to hear depressing music when I am suffering from depression, but I need it to fit my mood. If any of my fellow crayboard sufferers want to hear an excellent song to describe crap feelings, try and download "Landslide" by Kip Winger, This is the some of the lyrics to give you an idea

is this the same kip winger that was a part of the band winger that sang "Headed for a Heartbreak" and "Seventeen". I used to love them back in Jr. high school.

anyways, I too like to listen to down music when I am down, it seems to help the depression ebb away more easily. Songs I like are

Rufus Wainwirght - "Hallelujah" (not actually his song, and its from the Shrek soundtrack)

The Smiths - anything by them really, try their greatest hits 1 and 2 albums

Bauhaus - "All we ever wanted was everything"

Joy Division - anything by them as well, though "Love will Tear us Apart" is a common starting point, "transmission" is another good one

Echo and the Bunnymen - try the "songs to learn and sing" collection of singles

Lots of people suggest the Cure and Depeche Mode to me, but I adore both bands too much just to have them as wallowing music.

for a little more electronic beat driven angry stuff try Front 242, Beborn Beton or Apoptygma Berzerk

Halogirl yes you are right this is KIp winger from the hard rock bank Winger, he's moved on to very good laid back music. Apparently his wife died and he wrote about the pain of this as a solo artist. Very good deep stuff!

thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out

okay, as a single song?

'pictures of you' by the cure, off the 'disintegration' cd. the whole cd is pretty good for being down, but that one song is awesome.

but you gotta listen to it LOUD. they make that disclaimer about the whole cd actually.

grouse.

Halogirl yes you are right this is KIp winger from the hard rock bank Winger, he's moved on to very good laid back music. Apparently his wife died and he wrote about the pain of this as a solo artist. Very good deep stuff!

thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out

I have always thought he had a good voice, too good to be in a hard rock band. I will check him as as well - thanks

okay, as a single song?

'pictures of you' by the cure, off the 'disintegration' cd. the whole cd is pretty good for being down, but that one song is awesome.

but you gotta listen to it LOUD. they make that disclaimer about the whole cd actually.

grouse.

totally my favorite cure song

(followed closely by Friday I'm In Love, Lovesong , Why Can't I Be You & Just Like Heaven)

For me its Wagner's Tristan Und Isolde. Original, in German.

it doesn't make me depressed, but it does soothe me when I'm feeling really aching in my heart, it resonates in the way that good music can, and comforts me in its resonance.

I have a friend who also agrees that sometimes only Wagner will do.

Soundtrack to Batman is very dark orchestral.

Batman Begins? If that's the one you're referring to, I'll second that suggestion. I'm sorry to say this is as close as I get to classical music.

"Blackout"

don't kid yourself

and don't fool yourself

this love's too good to last

and i'm too old to dream

don't grow up too fast

and don't embrace the past

this life's too good to last

and i'm too young to care

don't kid yourself

and don't fool yourself

this life could be the last

and we're too young to see

MUSE -Absolution CD

Ruled By Secrecy" - MUSE

Repress and restrain

Steal the pressure and the pain

Wash the blood off your hands

This time she won't understand

Change in the air

And they'll hide everywhere

And no one knows who's in control

You're working so hard

And you're never in charge

Your death creates success

Rebuild and suppress

Change in the air

Change in the air

Gloomy Sunday - Billie Holiday (but Sarah McLachlan works too)

Hallelujah - been liking the version (rare) by Over The Rhine and KD Lang more than Rufus. but i second this song.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - but by Tori Amos. any other versions anyone know about that are slow and mournful?

When I Go - Over The Rhine

Foolish Games - Jewel (which is on one of the Batman soundtracks, if i recall - ha!)

i like collecting less known covers of songs. that are strained, mournful, sometimes sweet sounding. not all of them are dark or fit a depressed mood.

I think i've found most if not all of these on Limewire in my searches (but already had 'em so don't quote me on that).

ohoh. except i have to go find KD lang now.

Soundtrack to Batman is very dark orchestral.

Batman Begins? If that's the one you're referring to, I'll second that suggestion. I'm sorry to say this is as close as I get to classical music.

Mine is Batman Original Motion Picture Score - 1989

Guest espressogrrl

editing because i forgot original point. doh.

Gloomy Sunday - Billie Holiday (but Sarah McLachlan works too)

Hallelujah - been liking the version (rare) by Over The Rhine and KD Lang more than Rufus. but i second this song.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - but by Tori Amos. any other versions anyone know about that are slow and mournful?

When I Go - Over The Rhine

Foolish Games - Jewel (which is on one of the Batman soundtracks, if i recall - ha!)

i like collecting less known covers of songs. that are strained, mournful, sometimes sweet sounding. not all of them are dark or fit a depressed mood.

I think i've found most if not all of these on Limewire in my searches (but already had 'em so don't quote me on that).

ohoh. except i have to go find KD lang now.

that's my ususal taste to a tee. mournfully sweet. definitely try some jonatha brooke if you like mclachlan's soulfulness and jewel's lyric genius. anything from album "steady pull"

i am NOT a classical music junkie at ALL.

but i found i needed something really mellow, with sad undertones, to really purge sadness out of me. But if it had words, it could spark obsessional thoughts or a lengthy ADD wandering. I needed something that didnt reference a particular memory or person or experience. just feeling. just purge.

so while i am not very classical music oriented, i completely fell in love with the soundtrack from "the red violin". when it is mellow - it is super mellow. the sad parts are sad but purging. the faster parts encourage drive and ambition. i like it alot. it's amazing.

Sorry if this is a repost, some sort of error came up.

Two songs that I find soothing and rather mellow is Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" or "Time". The sounds really quiet my mind and relaxes me when I'm feeling anxious or depressed. Granted there is a few Pink Floyd songs that are not this case! Just don't watch "The Wall" when depressed or going through a fit of some other flavor of MI. That'll send you for a loop. To digress a little, I remember watching "The Wall" when I was about 7, and I was disturbed about it for a long time. Rewatched it during my later teens and reshaped my feelings about it. But nevertheless, the movie is quite confusing and not for the faint of heart. Damn ADD, how did I get from songs to a movie. Sigh...

I will second the OtR cover of Hallelujah, suggested above. It's stunning.

My sister gets reeeally on edge whenever I start listening to Die (by Carissa's Wierd from album I Before E) on repeat. The song isn't necessarily the type of vibe you are seeking (negative but uptempo), but it does have a lovely outro of "I never asked to be here."

I love a lot of piano instrumental stuff. Moonlight Sonata. Variatio 15 a 1 Clav. Canone alla Quinta, andante. There were a couple of wonderful piano tracks by Yann Tiersen on the Amelie soundtrack. Sur le Fil and Comptine d'un autre

My first thoughts were definately Peter Gabriel! to that i'd add Genesis and the occasional Phil Collins. Also like the cure.

this question inspired me to put on one of my favorite sad dreary mood cd's: George Winston "Autumn" from the old whindham hill collection of piano solos. i like the other seasons too, but autumn to me fits this mood best.

I love listening to sad, moody music when I'm depressed. I somehow feel less alone. Here's my most recent soundtrack:

Devils & Dust -- Bruce Springsteen

As Ugly as I Seem -- The White Stripes

Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad? -- Moby

Breathe Me -- Sia

Waitin' for Superman -- The Flaming Lips (also a great acoustic cover by Iron & Wine)

Letting the Cables Sleep -- Bush (actually something quiet and moody from them)

When It Don't Come Easy -- Patty Griffin (she's maybe the saddest singer out there and her first and her latest albums are the best, full of sad and wonderful songs)

And I'm with you presentjoy, I collect cover songs, too:

Just Like Heaven (the Cure) -- great quiet cover by Katie Melua

Helpless (Neil Young) -- gorgeous cover by k.d. lang

Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) -- I'm with all of you that mentioned this song, it's so great, and the covers by Jeff Buckley and k.d. lang are so beautiful, they make me cry

And I have to mention Death Cab for Cutie, my depression companions always. Plans and Transatlanticism are CDs that can just play. They're generally quiet, moody, and the lyrics are smart and none of them are happy so I never have to jump up to turn off a song.

Thanks for the thread. I'm always happy to have new music to check out.

(Though I'm already a big Cure and Depeche Mode fan already and it looks like I'm not alone! And I loved seeing the Smiths mentioned!)

~Cat

Hello!!

I like to listen to depressing music when I am feeling depressed too. It makes me feel better too.

For my favourite album, I would recommend "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. The lyrics are perfect for me, although I'm not sure if they would be too close for comfort to some people. My favourite songs off that album are "Brain Damage", lyrics:

The lunatic is on the grass

The lunatic is on the grass

Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs

Got to keep the loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall

The lunatics are in my hall

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor

And every day the paper boy brings more

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon

And if there is no room upon the hill

And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too

Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head

The lunatic is in my head

You raise the blade, you make the change

You re-arrange me till Im sane

You lock the door

And throw away the key

Theres someone in my head but its not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear

You shout and no one seems to hear

And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes

Ill see you on the dark side of the moon.

and "Time", lyrics:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking

And racing around to come up behind you again

The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time

Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say

Home, home again

I like to be here when I can

And when I come home cold and tired

Its good to warm my bones beside the fire

Far away across the field

The tolling of the iron bell

Calls the faithful to their knees

To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

But um.... yeah, those are my song suggestions. I love listening to them. They describe so much that I feel perfectly.

Take care!!

Archived