CrazyBoards.org

Need feedback ASAP

I skipped out on a crucial appointment yesterday that I'd already rescheduled once before. My agoraphobia is in top form right now, as is my phone anxiety, and all I could do was freak out and start crying every time I picked up the phone to make my apologies and beg to reschedule (again). I swore I would pick up that darn phone this AM and do it, but here I am freaking out all over again. Would it be a bad thing to punch out a quick letter explaining that I'm having severe health problems right now and ask if there's an alternative to a f2f meeting? I suppose I would have to mention the agoraphobia...

Sure,

and probably the classiest way to handle things.

Just exploring other possibilities... Could you have a friend or relative come over and make phone calls for you? Acting as a go between or interpreter in real time.

Cheers, a.m.

Yes, Ella I just did it with tdoc. I know that's different but I can't leave I called and asked if he would call me at 4 instead of me going over there. He was totally cool. Teleconference. Say you are very ill and can't drive, no details necessary about illness.

Thanks, guys. I thought it might be extraordinarily tacky, so I was very happy to hear that it's "probably the classiest way to handle things". Awesome ;)

*hugs A.M. and S9, takes a deep breath, exhales, pulls hand away from the panic button*

Just exploring other possibilities... Could you have a friend or relative come over and make phone calls for you? Acting as a go between or interpreter in real time.

I'd feel really awkward asking others to make calls on my behalf, but I'll mull it over. If I were fabulously wealthy I would hire a personal secretary, problem solved. Now that would be classy.

Not tacky at all, professional. ;)

I hope it all turns out ok for you, Ella.

The cat is VERY cute..and reminds me lots of me[hides under duvet]...as well as looking like my Pebbles, and my flatmates' cat Dizzy....

Sometimes part of healing is learning to ask for help. I've had to learn this. I have to ask people to do things I would have rather died than do a year ago.

Good luck. And maybe you could talk to your p-doc about some benzos for your agoraphobia.

Breeze

Sure,

and probably the classiest way to handle things.

Cheers, a.m.

;)

*hugs all around*

The cat is VERY cute..and reminds me lots of me[hides under duvet]...as well as looking like my Pebbles, and my flatmates' cat Dizzy....

I don't know who the cutie is, but she also bears an uncanny resemblance to my own kit kat. Same coloring, same markings, only mine has a shorter, snub-like nose. I think her "rescuer", the lady I got her from, said she's part-Persian.

Sometimes part of healing is learning to ask for help. I've had to learn this. I have to ask people to do things I would have rather died than do a year ago.
That is so true. I agree wholeheartedly. The only problem is that the only person I can rely on for help is my mom. (That's what you get, being an avoidant agoraphobic. No social ties. ;) I have other family, but let's just say we're not all that close.) The problem with this is that I rely on her too much already. And we don't have the most functional mother-daughter relationship, so there's a lot of baggage there that gets kicked around whenever I show my vulnerability. She uses my dependence as emotional collateral, making my life more miserable. That was very vague, I know. It's just not a great situation and there aren't any mentally healthy people I can ask for help.

Good luck. And maybe you could talk to your p-doc about some benzos for your agoraphobia.

I was wondering if a different benzo might work out for me; I've tried Klonopin (the go-to social anxiety drug), and I have Xanax. This pdoc is the (sadistic bitch) pdoc that didn't want to prescribe Xanax. I had to get it from my PCP. The only thing it's good for is panic attacks, doesn't do a darn for my anxiety. And I can't drive, or walk a straight line for that matter, after taking it (.25 mg.!) It was the same way with Klonopin, and additionally did extremely wonky things to my brain. It was like an acid trip (I'm guessing). I don't know if any of the other benzos would agree with my neuro-weirdness, but I'll give them the old college try if I can find a pdoc who is actually willing to help me. The Klonopin was kind of fun in a really scary way. One time I took .5 mg. out of curiosity and, wow, I was Alice in Wonderland. Spent half the night on the bathroom floor, mesmerized by the underside of the sink. Yeah, good times. Peace out. B)

I'd look at:

1. find someone to will call for you if you can't call

2. ask the doc to either call you on the phone or stop by your place (my clinic does this)

3. send them a note requesting these accomidations

there is nothing to be ashamed of. agoraphobia sucks. i get snatches of it sometimes when i pick up my keys and look out the window, ready to go outside, and have to psych myself up to open the door and step out. Even us non-agoraphobic people have our share of moments when we cannot connect.

Archived