CrazyBoards.org

NJ raising age to 30 to stay on parent's health insurance

N.J. Raising Age for staying on Parent's Insurance Plan

The New Jersey law allows a parent to cover the insurance premiums for an unmarried adult child under age 30 who lives in-state and doesn't have children. Unlike most states that raised the dependency age or are considering it, New Jersey doesn't require the child to be in school or live with the parent. Colorado's law, which took effect in January, also doesn't require full-time school enrollment to qualify.

be nice if they did this in other states, wouldn't it?

N.J. Raising Age for staying on Parent's Insurance Plan

The New Jersey law allows a parent to cover the insurance premiums for an unmarried adult child under age 30 who lives in-state and doesn't have children. Unlike most states that raised the dependency age or are considering it, New Jersey doesn't require the child to be in school or live with the parent. Colorado's law, which took effect in January, also doesn't require full-time school enrollment to qualify.

be nice if they did this in other states, wouldn't it?

ummm..... wow. that's all I can say for now....

Guest espressogrrl

thats because in new jersey,

WE ROCK

and because the budget sucks this year. we have no money. insurance costs are INSANE (mine is 485 a month) and so the state ends up paying for 'charity care', ie, hospital bills for folks with no insurance.

so the tax payers dont pay for it. the legislators are heroes. everyone wins. except the insurance companies. and they can suck it.

I'm really excited because I found out I can stay on my parents' insurance for a pretty small monthly amount ($70?) until I'm 25!

But I don't know exactly how it works. My dad figured it out somehow- I just have to fill out a bunch of paperwork from BCBS. I don't have to be in school or living with them, either.

But my father is a federal employee, which probably wrenches things in my favor a little.

I'm really excited because I found out I can stay on my parents' insurance for a pretty small monthly amount ($70?) until I'm 25!

But I don't know exactly how it works. My dad figured it out somehow- I just have to fill out a bunch of paperwork from BCBS. I don't have to be in school or living with them, either.

But my father is a federal employee, which probably wrenches things in my favor a little.

becca,

you can stay on BCBS because of COBRA. it's a federal program/law that allows everyone to continue their previous health insurance (if they pay for it themselves) after they either age off their parent's insurance or loose their job. it applies to all health insurance companies. it was designed so that if you are between jobs you don't loose coverage of prior existing conditions when you get new insurance. if your insurance doesn't lapse, when you get coverage through a job they can't pull the prior existing conditions aren't covered crap.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived