CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Rabbit37

Preparation? for sessions?

Just wondered if anyone (besides me) feel the need to mentally "prepare" for therapy sessions the day of. Or do you just continue on with your day, and then go when it's time? I was asked out for coffee by a friend tomorrow morning, and my appt isn't until noon, but I feel like I need to be alone, have my head together (so to speak) and know what I'm going to say and ask. Or maybe that's the wrong way to approach it, perhaps I should be winging it the entire way.

Am I the only one who puts their day on hold for this?

Edited by Rabbit37

Hey Wab, I think that's a sign that you're working hard at it, and getting something out of it. Right now I wing it--tho I do find myself searching for something depressing to talk about, being that I'm coughing up $150 per session. This tells me that I'm probably not getting too much out of it.

lily

I prepare for my therapy sessions by going through my journal since the last session, removing anything extraneous, editing it into as few pages as possible. That way I end up with a guide to things I want to talk to my T about. Oh yeah, If it's really important, I highlight it also. Then while waiting for my session, I go back over my notes.

Tommy

I don't put my day on hold. But, yes it can be intimidating anticipating a session at times.

But I do start thinking several days in advance about the session and what I need to talk about. This usually requires me to mentally review what happened at the last ones and what topics might still be unresolved. I make up an agenda, be it two items or ten. I will put it to paper if my memory is hazy.

Considering the cost and effort required to get therapy I don't want to waste time staring at the therapist.

a.m.

Thanks for the replies. I feel better about it. I usually make morning appts, just to avoid this kind of situation, but couldn't help tomorrow's noon session. I just feel like I want to be alone, yes indeed, gather my thoughts. Work up the courage to just go and speak what's on my mind. Believe it or not, that's still difficult, as I don't really have a relationship with him yet.

Lily, at least you make me feel better about the cost. Here I was complaining about $50 co-pays!

This thread reminded me I was fifteen minutes late for a session, so thank you.

I think I'd do a lot better if I'd prepare, but I don't, except for being sure to have my little MoodTracker grid on screen for my psychiatrist to see whenever I see one.

i just think to myself about what is bothering me, or any questions i have. right now i have an appointment scheduled for friday and we're just going to talk about employment and my lack thereof.

I don't really put my day on hold, mostly because it would be an added problem, but I definitely obssess and work myself up to go to my appointments.

From week to week - session to session - I may write some things down which come to mind or came to mind as a result of last week's session. The morning of my appointment I have to check and double check my meds supply to see if it time for a new Rx. About a half hour before my appointment I take the time to write down any Rx's I may need and a short list or outline combined from last session's notes and new things.

I don't put my day on hold but I will say there are days when I can't do much of anything before the session, and then there are the times after a session when I am useless for the rest of the day.