CrazyBoards.org

ok, here goes...

Anyone been Befriended, to help you overcome agoraphobia and social anxiety and suchlike?

We were talking in therapy today about me getting out and about and being a bit social, around people....

I'm going to ask my GP if my pdoc mentioned anything in the report to her about mental health befriending, as when I last saw him he briefly mentioned that I could be 'befriended' as part of a scheme. Then he didn't follow it up by making arrangements. I guess he was waiting for me to express interest.

Well, now I'm interested. The healthy part of me is.

My therapist suggested I ask my doctor whether the psychiatrist said any more about it. I see my GP on Friday, so will ask her then.

Now the seed is sown in my mind, I want it sorted...now...but. well.

Its the only way I know through...I have no friends really, and I don't go out socially, and its torturous every time I go out alone, with the PTSD symptoms and the depression. I've become very isolated and lonely.

I have to let my healthy life affirming part take the reins/wheel...its scary...and I have to let go of some pride to do it....as, several years ago it was be doing the befriending with a woman with long term enduring mental health difficulties.....now I'm on the other side. (yes, it was painful at times being a befriender, as I saw so much of myself in the woman I befriended....)

Yes, I'm a vulnerable adult, but I'm trying to be stronger....and not be ashamed of my vulnerability and needs....

To clarify, for those who don't know, a befriending scheme is basically where volunteer befrienders (often counselling or therapy trainees....which I was once myself, before I had to leave due to my mental health vulnerabilities....) agree to meet up with the befriendee for an hour or so a week, doing social things that one would otherwise not do...like going out for a coffee, go to the cinema, enjoying shopping etc.

Depending on the scheme, there are agreed targets, like for example when I was a befriender myself, the woman I befriended's aim was to gain the confidence to join some of the groups the scheme arranged. Which she did.

Basically I need to learn not to be so afraid of people, learn that they are safe and aren't out to hurt or ridicule me. I can only do that by being with people, really.

Organisations like Mind run the schemes, and there is usually supervision and training for the befriender.

To clarify, for those who don't know, a befriending scheme is basically where volunteer befrienders (often counselling or therapy trainees....which I was once myself, before I had to leave due to my mental health vulnerabilities....) agree to meet up with the befriendee for an hour or so a week, doing social things that one would otherwise not do...like going out for a coffee, go to the cinema, enjoying shopping etc.

Depending on the scheme, there are agreed targets, like for example when I was a befriender myself, the woman I befriended's aim was to gain the confidence to join some of the groups the scheme arranged. Which she did.

Basically I need to learn not to be so afraid of people, learn that they are safe and aren't out to hurt or ridicule me. I can only do that by being with people, really.

Organisations like Mind run the schemes, and there is usually supervision and training for the befriender.

That rocks, nestling!! I think it's a wonderful idea! I wonder if we have that in the states. Probably not, since our healthcare is so substandard.

;)

its not on the NHS, its voluntary organisations, usually charities, that arrange it. I just need the referal from GP/pdoc. or, if I can self refer, info info info.

am going to check out the Mind site tomorrow at work....

I emailed my local Mind branch.

I can self refer. ;)

(just have to have risk assessment from one of my treatment team). which there will be no probs with)

They are sending me an application form.

wowwowowowowowowowow :)

thank you AM and Libby.

I'm still awaiting for the application form....unfortunately until it arrives safely with me, part of me is going to feel scared of rejection, and doubts and cannot trust...

But, I am also excited....

Then there's the conumndrum of explaining my diagnosis...

Archived