CrazyBoards.org

Medication help.

I'm supposed to start on a medication that helps my aniexty/mild panic attacks. The medication helps with sezuires, aniexty and doesn't gain you weight. It starts with a P, but I forget what its called.

My social worker and mentor don't want me to start the medication. I'm still in foster care but 18, I wonder if I can just take it without their permission.

I'm sorry I can't figure out what medication it is from your description.

I think that you are considered an adult for medical purposes at age 18. You can ask to see the doc alone, and ask that he not disclose information to your guardians. That said, cutting them off can make things difficult. You will have to judge.

I don't know why your social worker would contradict the judgement of a doctor. That doesn't sound responsible. Can you get the doctor to talk with your social worker?

The other consideration is whether you are doing therapy? Therapy and meds work better together than either alone.

You have to do what is right in your heart. Many people don't understand that we can't just "Snap out of it" when someone demands. If you have done your best to control things and it hasn't worked, it may be time to try meds.

good luck,

a.m.

well, I'm on propranolol for anxiety and panic, and its a beta blocker so no weight gain thing. I think its also used for seizures, not sure.

However, its called inderol in the US, where you are, so its probably not that?

well, I'm on propranolol for anxiety and panic, and its a beta blocker so no weight gain thing. I think its also used for seizures, not sure.

However, its called inderol in the US, where you are, so its probably not that?

I think thats what is it called.

I live in California.

The reason why they don't want me on it is because they don't me drugged up on meds, and are against them or something like that. I really want to take it to atleast try to see if it helps.

Lanie

Propanolol is used for anxiety. It is a beta-blocker which is normally used for high blood pressure. I use a similar beta blocker, metoprolol, for both anxiety and for tremors. These drugs are highly safe and have few side effects normally. This drug is not going to turn you into a zombie.

Many people mistakenly believe that the purpose of psych meds is to make people into doped up zombies. In fact the opposite is true. The docs work very hard to use the minimum meds, with the least side effects.

best,

a.m.

Thanks.

I'm going to talk to my social worker about this soon. My therapist thinks I really do need it. I broke down in her office Thursday, and was crying and getting panicked.

Archived