CrazyBoards.org

sleep trigger

I have been balancing myself fairly well somehow

but have had some days here and there where I am on teh verge of out of control

i thijnk lack of sleep triggers my episodes.

i live my life hypomanic for the most part but whenever I am having insomnia issues i start rapid cycling like a mofo and feel like I am spinning out of control

anyone else suffer insomnia and the lack of sleep seems to be a major trigger?

Hi Fidget!!

Well, lack of sleep sure can disrupt things for me and make me very miserable. I don't have enough experience to say yet that lack of sleep has been the trigger for my mania / hypomanias. I can recognize that lack of sleep is a signal that I'm going into an episode. Nothing like leaping out of bed raring to go at 4:30 am after a whopping 3 hours of sleep. ;)

a.m.

I thought I knew, but now I don't. Used to be lack of sleep wasn't a big deal, I survived on 6 hours regularly while stable. It was the nights of a couple hours sleep that would be a sign I was slipping into mania. Then, earlier this year, when my daughter returned, I was getting full nights of rest, not exhausted, not forced or with any change in medication. Lasted three months, but it must've reset my system because now, if I don't get at least 7 hours I am exhausted and lethargic. The most unusual thing for me since...ever, according to my parents.

Anyhow, right now, I'm trying to figure out what triggered my latest case of insomnia which has lasted a few weeks now. After reading your post, I really believe it might be due to one night I stayed up so late I had just an hour of sleep. Weird how that works. I think I might try a weekend session of sleep deprivation to reset the system once again. Anyone elses pdoc suggest that for depression/insomnia?

Anyhow, right now, I'm trying to figure out what triggered my latest case of insomnia which has lasted a few weeks now. After reading your post, I really believe it might be due to one night I stayed up so late I had just an hour of sleep. Weird how that works. I think I might try a weekend session of sleep deprivation to reset the system once again. Anyone elses pdoc suggest that for depression/insomnia?

Sleep deprivation and light therapy (full spectrum lights at high lux) have been studied for depression. They have found that controlled sleep deprivation increases the efficacy of zoloft, they have shown that provigil combined with sleep deprivation is an effective treatment for MDD, and they have done simmilar studies with other drugs.

There are also studies on sleep deprivation for medication resistant bipolar depression showing that sleep deprivation helps, but they do not know the long-term effects of using sleep deprivation for bipolar depression.

sleep deprivation can help relieve depression, and it can trigger mania. it can be used to relieve depression, but like all treatments, it should only be done with a doctor, of course. (just had to say it)

so yes, it would make sense that a pdoc would suggest it. it has been extensivley studied as a treatment for both MDD and bipolar depression. just watch out for mania.

Archived