CrazyBoards.org

ADD Grocery Shopping Made Easy

Guest espressogrrl

We were talking recipies, someone mentioned how they can never remember what they went to the store for and so they get anxious. and I mentioned how I have a pre printed list that i make a gazillion copies of. I can't seem to remember to write down what I run out of. When I get to the store, I cant seem to remember what I needed to get. So I keep a list of my most commonly needed things. If I am having a good ADD week, I will have remembered to circle them. If not, then, when I get to the store I go down the list and it really helps. "yeah - baking soda. That's what I needed!"

So anyway, someone asked for my list. I thought I might post it in case anyone else might find it useful. of course - my list is for a girl (*tampon alert, guys*) and I don't have any kids and i don't have yardwork to do. So you might want to make your own. if not, my OCD side has a little "other" box under each category.

Hugs,

grocerylist.pdf

We were talking recipies, someone mentioned how they can never remember what they went to the store for and so they get anxious. and I mentioned how I have a pre printed list that i make a gazillion copies of. I can't seem to remember to write down what I run out of. When I get to the store, I cant seem to remember what I needed to get. So I keep a list of my most commonly needed things. If I am having a good ADD week, I will have remembered to circle them. If not, then, when I get to the store I go down the list and it really helps. "yeah - baking soda. That's what I needed!"

So anyway, someone asked for my list. I thought I might post it in case anyone else might find it useful. of course - my list is for a girl (*tampon alert, guys*) and I don't have any kids and i don't have yardwork to do. So you might want to make your own. if not, my OCD side has a little "other" box under each category.

Hugs,

grocerylist.pdf

This is the worst possible chore for me. I will let my children eat Peanut Butter and Jelly and drink water, and drive through toxic shit for days before i go to the store. I have tried some of the online lists, I'll look at your's. My biggest problem is remembering the fucking list! RAAAWWWRRR.

S9

Guest espressogrrl

Aaargh. That's actually, a huge monster of a list.

Mine don't even get third of that size...

ha ha! this isnt the size of the list each time i go to the store! this is all over the things that i COULD need when i go to the store. because when i do go, i forget a lot of what i need. so i go down the list until it sparks what I forgot.

Guest espressogrrl

This is the worst possible chore for me. I will let my children eat Peanut Butter and Jelly and drink water, and drive through toxic shit for days before i go to the store. I have tried some of the online lists, I'll look at your's. My biggest problem is remembering the fucking list! RAAAWWWRRR.

I totally understand. I completely gave up both writing things down when i run out, and remembering to bring the list with me. jesus. how many times did i get to the store and realize i left the list at home?? as you said, "RAAAWWWRRR!"

sometimes i am super successful and grab a copy of my list, circle what i need and actually remember to bring it with me. but plenty of times, i forget to bring it with me. So now I keep a copy of my list in my car. granted, it doesnt have what i need circled or marked. but it's not like i am ever going to remember to write it down when i run out of it anyway. so i just keep a list in the car of everything we use at home. when i am in the store, and i go down the list, it helps me remember.

and its not like i will remember to bring it in from the car. so it stays there for the next time!

and its not like i will remember to bring it in from the car. so it stays there for the next time!
lol, too many times to count the list gets to the car, but not inside. Sometimes I will go get it. That's a good idea keeping your blank lists in the car.

I have to find Sunshine's posts about winning the ADD poster girl award when she lost her purse at the grocery store and send you the link...very funny stuff.

My other problem with ADD and grocery shopping is I get waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff by the time I do finally get to the store. So I've asked my Mom to start going with me, kind of rehabing...she's my police woman. Make sure I stay on task and not buy everything in the deli that looks yummy!

S9

Guest espressogrrl

My other problem with ADD and grocery shopping is I get waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stuff by the time I do finally get to the store. So I've asked my Mom to start going with me, kind of rehabing...she's my police woman. Make sure I stay on task and not buy everything in the deli that looks yummy!

Here's my new mantra because I do the same thing. EAT BEFORE YOU GO. The worst thing to do is be hungry when you go to the store.....

What was i looking for?

shit i didnt eat yet today

there's a sales on strawberries! (get strawberries)

now I need to find the angelfood cake cuz that would be yummy with strawberries (go to breads)

mmmm look at the bagels, i havent had a bagel for breakfast in a while... do I have sour cream?

(call home)

"do we have sour cream in the fridge? we do? ok. oh. really. thanks for reminding me, i will get spinach"

go back to the produce

there's the spinach! get spinach...

there's strawberries...did i get the angel food cake? NO! i didnt...

god i am hungry. maybe i can steal some granola from the bulk section....

I just know it's worse when i dont eat!!!

Thanks for sharing it!

I hate when someone tells me that for my ADD I should make lists. Yeah, I make lists all the time, but I either lose them or forget to look at them. The number of post it notes I have lost...

So for shopping, my hubby and I have developed a system. It helps that he is a very anal about money and stuff. but here is what we do.

we only do grocery shopping once a month.

he makes a list of 30 meals. he uses that to compile a list of all the ingredients we need to buy and anything else we will need for the whole month. The list is written on a lined legal pad that is clipped to a big-ass plastic clipboard with built in calculator and a pen tied to it with string. My first name and phone number are written on the back so if i leave it somehwere they can call me.

The hubby tries to make sure the items are grouped as they would be found in the store (dairy, produce, frozen stuff, etc) so my eyes won't have to dart around the page. He checks to make sure I have the clipboard when I leave to do the shopping. I have to just make sure to take it in with me. Then I get a cart and go in the store. I go up and down each and every aisle, and mark off what I need as I go past it. I also write down the price next to it. I don't leave the store until everything is checked off. Then I come home and my husband and I put it all away.

So then for the rest of the month we don't have to worry about having something or forgetting it, except for the occasional trip to the drug store to pick up prescriptions, fresh milk and eggs.

It has taken seven years of marriage to get the system sorted, but we finally seem to have a system that works.

Guest espressogrrl

Hey Halo,

GREAT idea. When I have disciplined myself to the not going to the store when i am hungry, I am going to try it. Cuz if I am hungry, the store will be too tempting to be that scheduled. If I am not too hungry, I see how that could work....

edited to include this:

what do you do about veggies? I eat them alot...but they don't stay good for 30 days. do you freeze them? I would love to implement this later....

he makes a list of 30 meals.

Knowing what to make/buy is my biggest problem, BY FAR. It doesn't help that I absolutely detest cooking. I would rather clean all of our toilets than cook.

HG, that would be cool if you could send me the meal list each month...lol...I'd pay hubby a small consulting fee... ;)

S9

These days I can pretty much remember most of what I need, tho recently shampoo kept falling off my mental list. But that's because Adderall helps, I think. Or else it's not quite where the hole in my memory is.

I used to try to make lists, but since they didn't match the order of things in the store, I kept shuttling back and forth to find the next item. Or I'd try shuttling back and forth on the list, but I'd keep forgetting things. So, in the old days I'd just walk and down the aisles and seeing items I needed would remind me. Mostly. Enough to get by and arrive home with 80% or 90% of what I needed. And maybe an extra 10%. Hard to skip the Pop Tarts and lo fat (hi fat ones taste icky) Cheez-Its, now that they took out the trans fats. (I hope.)

Any of these things are sabotaged by being hungry. If hungry, eat elsewhere first, or else dash in, buy a premade sandwich, dash out, and gulp. Or what you bring home won't fit in the fridge.

I am cooking more these days, inspired by my girlfriend. My own granola (mmmmm!), french toast, sometimes curry (an old favorite), even veggies. A recent trick is to get chicken or turkey when it's down to $1 a pound, bake, shred, and freeze. I can break out bits, zap them, and eat for protein snacks, in sandwiches, in the curry, etc. Makes the $1 a pound store bread (ok, $1.19) taste good, when I don't feel like using the $10 thrift store bread machine.

• 7 months later...

I found some stores that have lists on thewir web sites that are arranged in the order of the ailses. That has really helped me. I used to forget things on the list if they were all out of order of the aisles -- or Id be going back to aisles again and again after reviewing the list at the end.

Archived