CrazyBoards.org

neurontin was studied for social anxiety with doses of 900-3600 mg (divided up into three doses.) though it is often used, there really aren't that many studies on neurontin for anxiety, etc. when it is studied, the dose used is above 900mg with 3600mg being the maximum dosage allowed in a day.

as for appearing drunk... well that's one of those "your mileage may vary" issues. some people feel the side effects strongly at any dose and some people never feel cognitive and motor side effects.

side effects like "appearing drunk" often go away as you get used to a medication. slowly raising your dose to your target dosage can help minimize side effects.

so, basically... over 900 mg and you may or may not get hit with side effects, you kind-of just have to try it and see.

hope it works out for you.

penny

I must say that Neurontin works very well for anxiety and restlesness. I received 100, 400 mg capsules Neurontin today. I ordered it over the Internet because my pdoc didn't want to prescribe it ;) because he didn't know it.

After an hour or two I felt just simply content, the neurotic part of me is gone. This was after dosing 800 mg.

Gabapentin is quite expensive btw...

I have a feeling that this is the sort of medicine I need.

Edited by hypercat

- Relief after only one or two hours????

oh... I don't think so. More likely what you happily experienced is The Placebo Effect. You expect the drug to help you. Your anxiety has lowered because your fears and concerns have been satisfactorily addressed. I'm not knocking it, since it has a 30% effectiveness. If they can ever bottle it, it will be our best medicine, and they are trying.

- You would be doing well for a benzo like xanax to act in 1 -2 hours.

- A reference I could find indicated that expected improvement typically occurs in a week to a month. This would be consistent with other anticonvulsants.

A couple points. Neurontin has a short half life of 5-7 hours. That means..

- You would need to take 3 - 4 doses a day to reach a steady state of the intended dose.

- It would take a day and a half to reach a steady state

Be careful playing your own doctor. Good luck.

a.m.

Hi:

I took Nuerontin for anxiety. It did the trick alright. Drugged me out way too much. It takes awhile to get to the sedating dose, and it wasn't very high for me. I think I took 1200 mgs a day. That's low. I spent a frustrating 6 months waiting for my anemia to be resolved so that I could finally go off of it.

Here's the thing. If you are "being your own doctor" and you forget your refill, the repercussions can be most unpleasant. I came down, and off too fast. I was jumpier than ever, couldn't sit still for days, and was so miserable I swore I'd never do it again. And I was under a p-doc's care. It was horrible.

Don't do this without a doctor. Yes it's a safe med, but running out, or admitting you are on it - and being at a self prescribed high dose - is very dangerous.

Breeze

Breeze reminded me of another point on withdrawal symptoms.

Because of the short half life of the drug, that means that whatever withdrawal symptoms you experience will come on very quickly, think hours vice days, compared to drugs that have a long half life like for instance, Lamictal or Prozac.

a.m.

Because of the short half life of the drug, that means that whatever withdrawal symptoms you experience will come on very quickly, think hours vice days, compared to drugs that have a long half life like for instance, Lamictal or Prozac.

A yup. That's exactly how it happened. Mexican Jumping Bean.

;)

I must say that Neurontin works very well for anxiety and restlesness. I received 100, 400 mg capsules Neurontin today. I ordered it over the Internet because my pdoc didn't want to prescribe it ;) because he didn't know it.

After an hour or two I felt just simply content, the neurotic part of me is gone. This was after dosing 800 mg.

Gabapentin is quite expensive btw...

I have a feeling that this is the sort of medicine I need.

i never ever would have spent the time to look on pubmed and answer your question if i knew you were going to do somethign so assholish as to buy medication without a rx.

your doctor has to know which medications you are on.

a doctor has to be monitoring and prescribing your medication.

it is illegal to just go and take something because you think it is what you should be on.

if you so think this is the medication you must be on, switch psychiatrists. many psychiatrists do not use neurontin because there are not enough studies backing up its efficacy and because there was a huge burst of using it off label for things that it simply does not work for.

you are not an md. you are not qualified to make decisions about your medications, and are not qualified to monitor and deal with side effects.

Guest espressogrrl

DONT MESS WITH THAT STUFF!!!

Only a doc can prescribe it. seriously. There have been very very bad results. It definitely has it's uses, but there has been a completely unethical crusade to promote it for anything before the generic form came out. please dont take it if you havent been told to by a professional....or any drug for that matter...

about.com's coverage of the lawsuit

ny times expose

I just got an upgrade. I'm on a whopping 2100 mg now!! I took my morning and afternoon dose and

I feel drunk and stupid, but I can't say I feel anxious. ;)

And damn it is expensive even with my drug plan. I can't imagine what one would have to pay over the Internet with no script.

• 1 year later...

I was prescribed 900mg a day, 300 in the morning and 600 at night for anxiety/depression. I swear it doesn't do a thing. I didn't take it a few days and there was no huge change in my mood.

• 3 weeks later...

i use Nuerontin (generic) for prn agitation and anxiety, and neuropathic pain. I like it too. I can take one 300mg capsule and it really chills me out. I take a 300 mg cap every night for the neuropathic pain and use it in daytime for agitation.

the good news is Nuerontin has a generic and for me i can't tell any difference. The generic should be a lot cheaper. I'd keep looking on pharmacy sites until i found a decent price. you should try can convince your doc to prescribe or use one of the on-line docs to prescribe. I agree that your doc should know what you take. I know there a re a lot of neg stuff about Nuerontin but it was way over promoted. It's a good drug, in my opinion. the generic has been out for some time so you really should be able to get a decent price on this drug.

Edited by River_

Relief after only one or two hours????

oh... I don't think so. More likely what you happily experienced is The Placebo Effect. You expect the drug to help you. Your anxiety has lowered because your fears and concerns have been satisfactorily addressed. I'm not knocking it, since it has a 30% effectiveness. If they can ever bottle it, it will be our best medicine, and they are trying.

could not disagree more. I never expect anything to work or help and wow Nuerontin really packs a punch for restlessness and pain and anxiety. i use it along with reequip for my restless legs, and for neuropathic pain in my feel and to help me sleep. It is a great drug and my experience is not a placebo effect. I disagree with the statement that you are not your own doc, and cannot monitor your side effects and symptoms. Most of us mentally interesting folks have had to do this for a Long time b/c our docs often do not have any interest in us. they prescribe something and ignore side effects. If you are not monitoring yourself you could be in for trouble b/c your doc is not likely to give a rats a**. I agree very much that your doc should know what you take, however. My docs all prescribe for me, but if i really wanted to try something and my doc would not agree, I'd order it too. My psych will not prescribe any of the ant-seizure meds b/c psychs are being sued a lot. I was told this by another doc, that many are afraid of the insurance companies and also lawsuits and will not prescribe certain drugs. I had to go to another doc to get lamictil. i will of course let my psych know my next visit. my neurologist had to prescribe the Nuerontin , but not for anxiety, for neuropathic pain, nice bonus is the help with anxiety.My psych has almost stopped using zyprexa due to the many lawsuits r/t diabetes. i know, what good is he? well, he knows me for a long time, and that is a bonus.

Edited by River_

• 4 years later...

I have been on gabapentin off and on for about two years. I was initially prescribed the meditation to treat what was assumed to be bi-polar issues and also alcohol withdrawal. Both of these have now been shown to be symptoms for which gabapentin is more or less useless. Fortunately i received quite a bit of release from anxiety and panic attacks. However, i have recently began studying and researching quite a bit more in my career, and have run into the problem of short term memory loss that is very prevalent in those using gabapentin. this is an effect which is inescapable due to the way glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid work as the brains inhibitory force. This is why those who experience hyperexcitability due to low gaba are prescribed gabapentin so as to inhibit the amount of stimulation in the brain, and thus prevent seizures and/or convulsions. However i would advise anyone taking this drug for anything than treating seizures to be wary of the memory loss that is inevitable and the withdrawal that is quite difficult to go through. Just be careful and do your research.