CrazyBoards.org

New iPod vidoe

Just got a new iPod video. Getting a message on my computer that says "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non high-speed port." My computer also tells me that I don't have any hi-speed ports. What gives? Can I use the low speed port? Or, how easy will it be to upgrade to a hi-speed port?

Also, how do I tell it not to download my video files? How do I remove files that have already been downloaded onto it?

I'm completely clueless/

Just got a new iPod video. Getting a message on my computer that says "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non high-speed port." My computer also tells me that I don't have any hi-speed ports. What gives? Can I use the low speed port? Or, how easy will it be to upgrade to a hi-speed port?

There have been at least 2 major versions of USB on the market, you simply have the older of the two.

Most newer devices will have the faster, newer version but may still use the old interface at a reduced

speed. It only takes one or two of the newer devices to suck up all the bandwidth of an older USB port.

But, since Murphy's Law dictates that the one device you most want to use won't work so well ... you can

get add-on cards that plug into a slot on your motherboard and provide the faster ports.

1. unscrew case

2. stick card into slot that it fits in

3. close up case

4. install related software using the instructions that should have been in the package

Some brick-and-mortar stores will do this for you for a minimal fee.

It may be worth mentioning that some computers have both low speed (USB1.1) and high speed (USB2.0 *) ports, so switching the iPod to different port may let you achieve higher transfer speeds.

(*) that's an oversimplification - not all which is USB2.0 is high speed - but live with it

Archived