CrazyBoards.org

Diets that control binging?

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with South Beach or any other diets to control binging? I guess the idea of some of these diets is that they keep your blood sugar low, which helps control your appetite. Does this work for you? I'm a normal weight but I binge regularly, and I feel that I could be fitter and healthier if I didn't do this.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe there are trigger foods in my diet that I'm not aware of... because sometimes a binge starts for no reason that I can figure out...without my being upset or having PMS or anything! So I'm wondering if maybe there are certain foods I might be sensitive to or something that get me going on a binge. (I try not to eat a lot of processed foods as I feel that those would be likely triggers.)

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with South Beach or any other diets to control binging? I guess the idea of some of these diets is that they keep your blood sugar low, which helps control your appetite. Does this work for you? I'm a normal weight but I binge regularly, and I feel that I could be fitter and healthier if I didn't do this.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe there are trigger foods in my diet that I'm not aware of... because sometimes a binge starts for no reason that I can figure out...without my being upset or having PMS or anything! So I'm wondering if maybe there are certain foods I might be sensitive to or something that get me going on a binge. (I try not to eat a lot of processed foods as I feel that those would be likely triggers.)

I just wonder if maybe you binge at the same time or if you get bored.. I found that binging(past) always

happened when I was either getting the feel calms from Lorazepam/ativan.. or could not sleep.. or even

was bored to death sometimes.I read that aspartame (I think In a weight watcher's manuaL) created hunger

in most people. A lot of foods have that in it... Try to change your diet for a while and eat differently.. Follow

the food Pyramid and eat well.. See how it goes..Again look at the times , and circumstances (if any)that precede a need to binge. Stop and think about what you are doing and feeling before you binge..

Keep a journal too. That way you may find something overlooked..

Good luck .. Stay healthy. Frosty

I definately have trigger food- they'r the ones that once i start- one serving is never enough. its only enough when theres's nothing left.

for me the most common ones are ice cream and cereal. so when i'm doing well i don't keep these in the house at all- if i want ice cream i go out to get some ( like a cone) and i''ve been known a la seinfeld to order cereal in diners . this way i don't have to face the whole box or the whole pint.

you might want to see if there is a pattern in your binge foods- if you find yourself repeatedly binging on the same things, then i'd try not to keep them around.

i have done jenny craig- its very structured so i didn't have to think much- you eat frequently so your blood sugar stays stable. it was the most healthy eating for me but unfortunately i knd of gave up on it. ( afte losing 10 lbs which i've probably gained all back but that another story.

i was sooo hungry on the south beach...granted, i somehow lost 10 pounds...but alas i cannot keep away from carbs, i get too tired. i binge when i'm tired, angry, or sleepy....yeah that's pretty much 90% of the time which would explain my hideous weight.... ;)

I've never been successful following some structured diet. I get all obsessed with the details, find everything too complicated, and ultimately don't eat anything but strawberry jam. I do find that eating more protein than I would normally helps me stay full longer. Boredom is the biggest danger to my waistline, when I'm not having one of my Episodes. I need more and better hobbies.

I have the same question. I gained about 20-25lbs from Zyprexa-induced hunger and sweets cravings with huge binges on anything tastey and sweet, including Dairy Queen (I'm vegan so dairy is out- that's how bad my cravings were!).

My pdoc upped my WB to 450 because he said that in some people, it stems the tide of cravings, and also would bring back my lost sex drive.

I can say that, whether it be just psychological placebo effect or not, that I am eating less and losing my Zyprexa weight.

I am like LMNOP- I get hung up on the details of my diet and then kind of just eat sweets (strawberry jam is also a fav over here), so I need to go on a diet that lets you buy their food, so I don't have to think. I've done Weight Watchers, and it works, except you do have to actually stick to your points. In their system, based on my weight, I get 21 points per day. I'd usually binge and end up with 40 points!

I need it to be thoughtless, mindless, easy, and effective. Buh-Bye Zyprexa weight! And the WB seems to work.

Wellbutrin didn't do anything for my excess weight or my depleted sex drive. Bummer.

I'm on a diet right now, not really doing anything more than sticking to a suggested calorie intake on a weight loss/fitness website. I've lost 2.5 pounds in two weeks -- the test will be to see if a) this weight loss continues, and B) if I can keep it off. Except, I'm miserable. I can't eat what I want, I can't eat when I want, and when I do screw up and eat over the limit, I feel horribly guilty. Example: at the movies last night, I had treats and went over the suggested number of calories by about 500. Yikes. Oh well. I'm limiting myself to having junk food only once a week and I guess that was my one indulgence.

But yeah, I need help with the binging, and the cravings, and the total and complete utter obsession with food. It's all I think about. I keep looking at my watch and thinking "X-minutes until my next meal/snack." it sucks. ;) Any advice would be appreciated.

Archived