CrazyBoards.org

I hate writing checks for Bills, it such a task and I am sooooooooo lazy. I hate it

Cable, Water, etc................I open the bills and put them together by Due Date.

But, then I just forget about them.

And I am always paying them last minute.

ADD does not help this situation any.

My Bank called me and asked me If I would like to add bill Pay. I said yes.

This is the second month and it's great. I don't even have to think about paying any bills since it is taken out of my checking

Account.

This is just a suggestion. It really make life easier.

Guest espressogrrl

yeah...i have bill pay too!

i am also really into comcast. my cable bill, phone bill, and internet bill is all ONE BILL. I think verizon is about to do that...

Not only are my utilities on Bill Pay, but so is my rent, my student loan, and ALL my credit cards!

(and my oven shuts off by itself when it's done baking)

lily

Not to add paranoia but my best friend had bill pay for years, got hacked, and got 20,000 stolen from her account. They say they're going to refund every penny but it's taking months and she's gone through hell with credit card troubles(identity theft) having her utilities turned back on and general overall stress. I got scared and don't do it anymore. But hey my credit rating is like a negative 5000 so if anyone tried to steal my money or identity they wouldn't be able to even get a credit card at wal-mart hell or even shop there ;)

lilie

Yeah, I pity anyone who tries to steal my ID. They'd be begging me to take it back!

I don't like automated bill pay because I want to controll exactly when the check goes out. Paying on line is fine, bt I don't want it taken out the day brfore payday.

Japan is ADD-friendly land. My bill-pays aren't on-line. I fill in a form, send it to the bank, and the electric/water/gas/credit card companies that I select etc send me a notice of the amount, with a note that they will deduct said amount on the 28th of each month--3 days after my paycheck is automatically deposited into my bank acct. No muss, no fuss!

Unless of course THEIR databases get hacked, which does happen nowadays. what was my point? never mind.

lily

I've seen a rack with 31 numbered slots. As soon as you get a bill, you drop it in the slot corresponding to the day you want to pay the bill. I should find/make one of these, one of these days.

Guest espressogrrl

I've seen a rack with 31 numbered slots. As soon as you get a bill, you drop it in the slot corresponding to the day you want to pay the bill. I should find/make one of these, one of these days.

Target.

I think I've already paid in past due fees, etc. any amount that someone could possibly steal should my accounts get hacked. It's worth the risk to me.

It's just been in the last year or two that I've been in the financial position to set this all up. Before that I barely lived paycheck to paycheck and, like praxis, needed to be able to control who got paid when (or, more often, which bill didn't get paid during that particular pay period).

With only a couple of exceptions, I now have everything paid automatically. It's not 100% foolproof, but it sure has helped a lot!

• 1 month later...

I have had my credit destroyed because of my inability to pay my bills on time when I was in college. I used to wonder how stupid it would sound or what peoples' reactions would be when I told them I just 'forgot', or 'couldn't get to it'. It wasn't that I didn't have the money--but then the more the payments got delayed the higher the minimum payment would be--too high to pay at once. So I'd just give up.

I have about 5 bills set up electronically now. If I could just find a good dry cleaner that delivers to me.....It's all about delivery services & the pre-arrangement of meetings, payments, etc.

I am not ADHD, but I have a horrible time paying bills. Like someone said, for a long time it wasn't even that I didn't have the money- it was the hassle of getting the bill, an envelope, a check, and a stamp at the same location at the same time. And then for two years I lived in apartments that for some reason didn't have outgoing mail slots. So then I also had the added hassle of finding a mailbox or post office to drop my mail at.

Now I have all the bills that I can afford to pay on time every month on autopay (haha). I always pay the electric company last, because they wait a lot longer to really start yelling at you (or at least, the electric company in Eugene did).

My new favorite thing is that B of A will send me an email every day with my bank balance and then I also have it set up to send me an email when my account drops before a certain amount. I know that this information is available at their website every day, but getting it in my email forces me to deal with it. I mean, I can still kind of play ostrich by not opening the email... but eventually I feel guilty with YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE in bold letters every time I open my email.

I have paid a ton of money in overdraft fees in my life, so I also have it send me one email when I go under $100 to tell me find more money! And then another one when it dips under $20 to tell me to stop using the card under all but the most dire circumstances.

I don't always listen. But at least I won't wake up at the end of December this year and realize I have overdrawn my bank account by $600, almost $300 of which was in overdraft fees.

I am not ADHD, but I have a horrible time paying bills. Like someone said, for a long time it wasn't even that I didn't have the money- it was the hassle of getting the bill, an envelope, a check, and a stamp at the same location at the same time. And then for two years I lived in apartments that for some reason didn't have outgoing mail slots. So then I also had the added hassle of finding a mailbox or post office to drop my mail at.

Now I have all the bills that I can afford to pay on time every month on autopay (haha). I always pay the electric company last, because they wait a lot longer to really start yelling at you (or at least, the electric company in Eugene did).

My new favorite thing is that B of A will send me an email every day with my bank balance and then I also have it set up to send me an email when my account drops before a certain amount. I know that this information is available at their website every day, but getting it in my email forces me to deal with it. I mean, I can still kind of play ostrich by not opening the email... but eventually I feel guilty with YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE in bold letters every time I open my email.

I have paid a ton of money in overdraft fees in my life, so I also have it send me one email when I go under $100 to tell me find more money! And then another one when it dips under $20 to tell me to stop using the card under all but the most dire circumstances.

I don't always listen. But at least I won't wake up at the end of December this year and realize I have overdrawn my bank account by $600, almost $300 of which was in overdraft fees.

This is just like me!!!!!!

I am a lazy ass as well as ADD.

So Auto Pay is a blessing for me.

EDIT: Becca I didn't mean you are a lazy ass. I am

If, like me, you still get paper bills and write checks, and haven't got one of those slot things yet, then as soon as you open a bill, write on the envelope in big letters and numbers what day you want to pay it, and put the bill back in the envelope.

i admit that i have no system yet, so my finances continue to be in horrible shape! i just keep it in mind that i need to pay bills in the middle of the month and rent in the beginning. so in the middle i sit down and write checks, and in the beginning i write my rent check.

things usually work out this way. sometimes i have late fees.

i often overdraft because i like to buy things that i think will squeek by in my checking and don't, and then have overdraft fees. i have no system, besides the faulty one in my head, for keeping track of what goes in and out of my account. i need to say no to the extra restaurant dining and nice new clothes sometimes!

I have my bills registered with my bank account, but I still have to go to an ATM and make the payment. It's not terribly complicated, and it's instant, so I don't have to worry about whether or not the cheque will get through the mail. Yayness. The only bill I have on automatic debit is my long-distance phone bill, and that's only because it's the only payment method they'd accept without a credit card on file. It's better this way.

• 4 weeks later...

This ADDer highly recommends banking online, and here is why:

I went to my bank website, set up all of my bills there, and when they come in the mail, I have to - RIGHT THEN - go to the computer sign onto my banks website, type in the amount, and what day I want it paid, and I'm done. And I don't worry about some company deducting from my account more than they should, because they don't have access.

Another benefit, even if I don't have the checkbook, I can still check to see what bills have been paid, or are getting ready to pay.

Being ADD, I'm often thinking "Am I forgetting something?"

With banking online, I can click on last months bill pays, and compare it to this months to see if I am forgetting anything.

It is a good tool.

Oh, Sweet Jaysus, I've paid enough overdraft fees to BofA that they should be washing my windows and rubbing my feet. But instead they offered online banking and autopay. I love it.

Archived