CrazyBoards.org

I am a soda junkie. I drink a lot of diet sodas with aspertame and, so far, have pretty much ignored the whole "Its going to give you cancer and your head will explode!" debate.

I mean it sounded so much like the "Sacharine will turn you in to a newt" debate during the 70's...and then they later decided it didn't cause newtism after all...so they jerked around everyone for nothing.

But, I have noticed "brain fog" and , of course, just thought it was stress...or maybe another birthday on the way this fall, or whatever. But when I heard about other people tracing their brain fog to aspertame, I began to wonder. So I did a little experiment and switched to stuff sweetened with Splenda. And actually, I do feel like I have better concentration. Coincidence? Could be. Who knows?

Plus I have been reading a lot about stevia. I would like to give it a try, but it looks like there are about 4 million different formulations and if you get the wrong one, it has a crappy aftertaste. Plus it is expensive. I guess they use it instead of equal in Japan. Lily..you out there? Have you ever tried it?

Any ideas? Recommendations?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, my neice can't use Splenda®. If you want to see her bounce off the walls and have a major freakout, give her anything with Splenda® in it.

We found this out totally by accident. My mom had picked-up a can of pineapples and they were sweetened with the stuff. But then she is HFA and it may be that she is just extra sensitive to the stuff?

I'm not showing any favouritism just giving you my experience.

I love Diet Dr. Pepper or coffee with REAL sugar.

It may turn out to be a very individual thing...Splenda not working for some people, Equal bad for others. I've learned enough about individual reactions by reading posts on this site to know that may be the case.

Thanks for sharing your story though...I will keep an eye on Max since I can't pour a soda, tea, or anything without him swiping it.

I really am curious about the Stevia. I think it is getting the same bad rap as hemp. ( http://www.stevia.net/ ) And I am just ....well...CHEAP! (Thats what happens when you are poor for a long time...LOL) I guess I just need to get my butt down to Whole Foods and try it.

Stevia is available in those little "sugar" packets. It was given to me in a restaurant. Don't know if Whole Foods carries it for consumers, but seems like they would.

I hate artificial sweeteners, but I have recently switched from Coke to Diet Coke because of the Seroquel in my life. I realize that I just can't have sugar any more on a regular basis.

I filled my sugar bowl with Splenda yesterday. Coffee with Splenda tastes like crap. I might have to learn to drink it black. Or else try stevia!

Which sodas have Splenda? I bet Whole Foods, et al have stevia-sweetened soda water. (I just realized that I have stopped saying soda water... and I don't want to lose that relic of childhood!)

Anyhow, I am interested in fake sweetener info.

You will find no drinks sweetened with stevia in the US. It is illegal.

From www.stevia.net :

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration since the mid-1980s has labeled stevia an "unsafe food additive" and gone to extensive lengths to keep it off the U.S. market -- including initiating a search-and-seizure campaign and full-fledged "import alert."

To judge from the extensive measures the FDA has employed to keep Americans in the dark about stevia, one might assume it was some type of dangerous narcotic. But, in fact, no ill effects have ever been attributed to it, although it has been used by millions of people around the world, in some locales for hundreds of years.

So adamant has the FDA remained on the subject, that even though stevia can now be legally marketed as a dietary supplement under legislation enacted in 1994, any mention of its possible use as a sweetener or tea is still strictly prohibited. "

Diet Rite sodas all have splenda...lots of fun flavors...Pepsi One is a splenda sweetened soda. There are a few out there but you have to read the label.

Wifezilla:

I've solved part of it by drinking my coffee black and my ice tea unsweetened.

If you only use a little sugar, you can have the real thing.

I've tried all the artificial things and they all taste off to me. I do occasionally have a diet soda, but I have to get the one with a lime flavor.

Most of the time I drink seltzer, which you can get in every flavor and no sugar or sweeteners. Or water.

I keep sugar in the house for the rare dessert I make, and for hummingbird nectar. Oh, and my hubby likes sugar in his (hot) tea. He doesn't care about the calories and it's too late to worry about his teeth! But a five-pound bag lasts for 5 or 6 or 7 months, so I don't think we're using a lot.

What do you want to use the sweetener in? Coffee? Baking? Just curious.

olga

Latin Girl: Some people report memory issues and "brain fog" when they use Equal. It may be an issue for me, or it just may be old age ;)

Olga: I use it in drinks mainly. We can't keep sugar around the house or Max uses it ALL. I mean like half a bag for one batch of Kool-aid or iced tea.

Personally, I can't stand the way my mouth feels after drinking something with real sugar in it. And I don't do moderation well either. And I like my teeth :)

I can do club soda, but Max always opens the bottles, tastes it, goes yuck and pours it down the sink. (Life can be very interesting with an autistic teenager).

Yeah, plain water is fine, and I do try to drink it with just ice, but dammit...I like sweet...but do not like the calories.

For baking...well...I just don't bake much anymore. When I do I use real sugar or honey. Usually honey since Max doesn't bother with it and I can actually keep it on hand.

why can't people use Equal? (just curious.) Thanks ;)

It's an artificial peptide (molecule made up of amino acids) that consists of phenylalanine and aspartic acid.

Aspartic acid may serve as an excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain. Some epileptics may not want

their brain more excitable than it already is.

phenylalanine is the amino acid that phenylketonurics (genetic disorder) can't metabolize to tyrosine.

It then builds up and damages their brains... Tyrosine is the amino acid your brain metabolizes to

create first dopamine and then noradrenaline. Increasing dopamine is considered Not A Great Idea for

bipolar and schizophrenic folks. Increasing noradrenaline often is unkind to folks with anxiety problems.

Me, it just gives a nasty headache that tylenol won't help.

FWIW, Splenda tastes nasty.

And FWIW some people on Topamax can tell the difference between cane sugar and the corn syrup stuff. Which may be the reason why they lose weight from stuff tasting like shit?

Maybe?

All I know is the occasional Diet Dr Pepper is good.

Which may be the reason my seizures still are all fucked up?

Who knows who cares anymore.

I just fucking give up.

[this] Woman cannot live on water alone.

dammit...

Years and years ago I figured out that Aspartame, Nutra-sweet, made my mood swing and gave me a hair trigger temper. The taste is tolerable.

Sucralose tastes awful to me and makes me want to scrape my tongue for up to a couple hours after consuming. I haven't eaten enough of this to see what, if any, mental effects it might have.

On the occasions that I use artificial sweetener its Sacharin, entirely for hot or ice tea. I'll take the occasional rat cancer. Nobody has come up with more damning evidence than the original 1960's data. Besides, Congress said it's ok to consume, by law! And, hey, they're looking out for our best interests.

My parents live on artificially sweetened low fat simulated food now. I check box labels and discretely avoid eating any of this crap. I finally convinced myself that the low fat stuff really does mess up my gut and isn't just my imagination. Guar gum, carageenan, gum arabic and alginate, while sticky, gooey and glumpy are no way to live.

a.m.

p.s. I still think Kool-Aid with cyclamates was the best tasting stuff!

I'm wondering how "brain fog " is experienced- can you describe what it feels like?

i'm wondering ifmy feeling dissociative is brain fog from all the diet stuff i consume,

btw- i think splenda is yuchy, i pine for tab, and mmm- no-cal coffee and chocolate soda with cyclomates- ymm yumm.

"I'm wondering how "brain fog " is experienced- can you describe what it feels like?"

I guess the best way to describe it is like your thoughts are moving through a thick cloud. You can't really focus too well either. That is what is going on for me.

I Remember when Diet Coke added Splenda.

Because there were Billboards Everywhere and Ad's in Magazines and News

Papers about Diet Coke and Splenda Coming together.

Maybe you're ahead of us in LA, LG. It's still aspartame in the middle part of the country.

I Remember when Diet Coke added Splenda.

Because there were Billboards Everywhere and Ad's in Magazines and News

Papers about Diet Coke and Splenda Coming together.

Maybe you're ahead of us in LA, LG. It's still aspartame in the middle part of the country.

They must be giving you guy's old stock. From the Link I posted..... It started in 2005

Just chiming in...my grandad died when he was 91. He used a lot of saccharine every day....since I was aware of him....that's about 24 years of him and his wifey using it. The little bottle, the little pills...boy were they nasty tasting when I tried one. I think they used it in coffee and tea.

Were cyclamates dangerous? what were they in?

Are any soft drinks made with saccharine any more? If so, I'll try 'em!

And what is seltzer, is that like soda water? And how do you get flavored seltzer?

Is flavored seltzer like, cap ten or perrier?

I like tonic water...sort of bitter but nice....feels like it cleans my teeth. Then I noticed diet tonic. Hmm. what's up with that.

I like food threads!

Luli

Archived