CrazyBoards.org

Heads up to smokers on Effexor

This may also apply to other meds, I don't know, but I wanted to share my experience. Last November I quit smoking. I'd been taking 300 mg Effexor daily for years. Everything was status quo for a few months (in partial remission from long-term recurrent MDD), then I slowly starting sinking: first low-grade depression, then confusion, memory loss, indecision, couldn't get out of bed in the a.m., distracted by shiny objects.

My shrink and I made an ill-advised decision try Cymbalta. That's another story. The bottom line is, now I'm back on Effexor but at HALF the dose, 150 mg, and I'm feeling much better. I'm wondering if the brain chemistry changes of quitting smoking took a while to show themselves, and if I'd reduced my Effexor dose shortly after quitting I would have been OK. Of course, there's no real way to know, short of repeating the whole experiment. Just thought I'd send up a warning flag.

P.S., I'm still not smoking, but I have stronger cravings now (at nearly 8 months quit) than I did the first few months. Nicorette just isn't the same. My shrink and I will be discussing some options next week: slight Effexor dose increase, or augmenting with something else (sadly, I don't do well on Wellbutrin -- agitation and insomnia).

Boo

This may also apply to other meds, I don't know, but I wanted to share my experience. Last November I quit smoking. I'd been taking 300 mg Effexor daily for years. Everything was status quo for a few months (in partial remission from long-term recurrent MDD), then I slowly starting sinking: first low-grade depression, then confusion, memory loss, indecision, couldn't get out of bed in the a.m., distracted by shiny objects.

My shrink and I made an ill-advised decision try Cymbalta. That's another story. The bottom line is, now I'm back on Effexor but at HALF the dose, 150 mg, and I'm feeling much better. I'm wondering if the brain chemistry changes of quitting smoking took a while to show themselves, and if I'd reduced my Effexor dose shortly after quitting I would have been OK. Of course, there's no real way to know, short of repeating the whole experiment. Just thought I'd send up a warning flag.

P.S., I'm still not smoking, but I have stronger cravings now (at nearly 8 months quit) than I did the first few months. Nicorette just isn't the same. My shrink and I will be discussing some options next week: slight Effexor dose increase, or augmenting with something else (sadly, I don't do well on Wellbutrin -- agitation and insomnia).

Boo

I hate to say as always .. everybody is different.. but true. I quit the dreaded 2 pack a day habit about 5

years ago on Parnate I beleive. I was in hell , at first - then it gradually got better, then when you think (

as you at 8 months) you should be cool.. NOT . It takes years , I mean years for MOST people to learn to

forget and lose the urge, craving that should not even be there physically anymore.. Some drugs HELP

control some compulsive behaviors .. I mean like an ssri and other common meds .. Topamax helps binge

eating and alcoholism.. So maybe the change in meds did have an effect on your behaviour and reaction to

the nicorette. Most likely you are going thru another unstable time where a cigarette is on your mind and

you have trouble shaking it. I would up my nicorette use or mg maybe it would help. I would maybe switch to another method

to help the cravings.. I did them all and eventually (with a few setbacks ) I quit for good.

Physically, the cravings should be gone, Psychologically , that is a different story..

Good luck to you .. I wish you the best.. For your mind and your body..

• 2 weeks later...

Whether I'm on an anti-depressant or not, about a month plus after I've quit, and this happened at least three times, I'd hit a rough patch, cry and feel like shit in the morning, and then it would pass and I'd still be

nicotine free.

I'm on 150 effexor. Separate from the smoking stuff, it seemed to flag and I dipped pretty low. I added a bit of lamictal per pdoc, am on 100 lamictal with the 150 effexor since last November. It's been 99% good. titrating up on the lamictal I was a bid giddy...

For me, when I quit smoking next time, I will be thinking of going to 225 on effexor at quit date, most likely, with an eye to adding more lamictal if I slump bad. I don't know about effxor/lamictal regarding dopamine, but smoking nicotine and dopamine have a connection....am thinking that smoking cigarets increases the dopamine in the brain system? Air Marshall would know.

Good for folks who've quit! Use any and all helpful adjuncts...the lozenges plus patch worked pretty well the last time.

I've quit for periods of 4-5 years, a couple one year quit times, and then lately quit a month, smoked a year, quit a month, and have been smoking.

Best to you,

Luli

Archived