CrazyBoards.org

CM's and Anesthesia(sp?)

I am having laporoscopic(sp?)-I think I have lost the ability to spell) surgery in a few weeks-tubal ligation- and they are putting me to sleep. I am scared to death of being put to sleep because of all the meds I'm on(plus I'd be scared to death anyway!). Has anyone had experience in this area? mel1

i had that done years ago. it went fine. they said 'here's some stuff to make you relax, please count backwards from 10' 10--9--8--se that was it.

make sure they know all your meds (any anesthesiologist will want to know). if you are really worried, call your phamacist cuz they know drug interactions.

pm me if more ? & i forget to come back to this post.

I've had two laparoscopies in 94 and 96. do what reddog says and let them know ALL of you meds. then they'll either do an IV or a face mask and you're out like a light. you may wake up and feel like you want to barf but that's normal. laparoscopic surgery is actually pretty cool when weighed against the traditional cut and open up type of surgery. You'll be fine.

lilie

I have heard that bc pills can decrease the absorbance of Lamictal up to 60 %. So, when I stop taking bc pills after my procedure, what may happen. Will I all of the sudden freak out because I get a much higher dosage into my bloodstream? This would not be good. I start my new teaching job the end of July. I have already lost one job because I freaked out at work. Of course, I asked the Gyn. but she just said the usual dr. answer when they don't seem to know what the hell you are talking about-"It should be okay."-I really love the use of SHOULD. mel1

I'm sorry I have no supportive experience on the med thing. I was not on the pill when I had mine done 10 years ago. I know it was a piece of cake...I was out by noon. Maybe you can taper off the bc pill. That' makes sense??

Good luck and don't be scared. A very close friend of mine does anesthesia and really the disasters are far and few between and usually on long cases or very sick people. You'll do just fine!

S9

I had emergency surgery under a general anaesthetic 2 weeks ago. I was also scared shitless but it really was okay in the end. I made sure that my list of meds was on my chart from the time they processed my case in the ER and I reiterated them when I met the anaesthetist. As for the actual procedure - they wheeled me into the OR on a bed and didn't transfer me to the table til I was out (a good thing with a broken and dislocated hip). Put an oxygen mask on my face which felt a little claustrophobic but the IV anaesthesia kicked in so quickly (I think I counted to 5) that it didn't matter.

I asked the Gyn. but she just said the usual dr. answer when they don't seem to know what the hell you are talking about-"It should be okay."-I really love the use of SHOULD.

I wish I had an answer to your bc question, but I can't take hormonal bc because of the trileptal (decreases the efficacy of the pill by 50% or more). Just wanted to say that that comment from your gyn would infuriate me. Sounds like she couldn't be bothered to look it up and/or confer with your pdoc. Could you try bringing it up with her again, and tell her you need specific advice on this. Maybe take a letter from your pdoc?

Good luck!

S

Back in April i was put under.

For four days.

There were no probs, but admittedly, since I was in ketoacidosis, all the lithium had been sucked out of me, and I dunno on the lamictal.

Still, I ended up fine (more or less...).

I say don't worry, the anesthesiologist knows what they're doing, and so long as they know all the meds everything will be fine.

Back in April i was put under.

For four days.

You were kept under anaesthesia for four days??

Yeah, they do that when you have a breathing tube in. My pdoc said people, er, tend to fight it when there's something stuck down their throats.

...Please, no comments on that last bit...

I'm thinking of canceling this whole procedure until the beginning of summer. I'm a teacher(as long as I don't freak out and lose my job!) and I have summers off, so any med reactions would be better dealt w/ in the comfort and safety of my home. I can take bc pills for 11 more months. There is too much uncertainty about whether or not my lamictal concentration will change, possibly causeing me to freak. I am starting my 3rd teachingjob in 3 years, because I got fired from the last two schools. (One because I had a complete meltdown so bad they called ambulance-AT WORK!!-and had to take last 5 wks. off-reason for firing-"I have too many issues"-LOL) Plus, I had some bad dreams. Too muck to risk. Not really afraid of the anesthesia anymore-afraid of not having a job. mel1

Just an idea, but it's a simpler operation if your SO gets HIS tubes tied. They do it in the office, there's a little swelling, and it's not a big deal at all.

Or, if the pills are bad for you, you might consider a mechanical barrier like a diaphragm. They work, when used properly, and you're not adding any chemicals to your body.

Again, just suggestions. You've probably considered these possibilities already.

olga

Archived