CrazyBoards.org

It seems as if I am not the only one who loves the effects of seroquel but hates the weight gain. I thought I'sd start a thread about who has been able to lose the gained wt. and how. mel1

The wonderful Seroquel apparently starts the gain at about 100 mg.. for MOST.

Creating within our own bodies a craving for carbs.. All to say Control your cravings.. and stop the gain, excercise to reduce appetite, Eat good carbs not junk carbs..

My Pdoc explained it to me that way.. Any comments to the derogatory or hate posts please send to him..

Not Frosty.. Very few MI drugs create irreversable weight gain. Some do.

I am on shaky ground today..

Frosty..

IIRC, I gained 12, lost 12, gained 8 for my birthday, and now have lost 9.

A nurse practitioner explained to me that with Seroquel you have to avoid refined carbs, in other words, avoid "the white stuff." No sugar, no white flour. Only fruit or whole grains for carbs. It stuck in my head when she said, "If it's white, it just ain't right," sounding like an old cowboy.

I've been doing that (mostly) and walking 20 min. every day (mostly).

I'm already fat and 51, so I simply cannot afford to get any fatter, and I really need to drop a lot of weight. I have a goal of xxx by my birthday next year. The NP also said that Seroquel increases your chance for diabetes. I don't nee that either!

I had a dr.'s appt. today and I' ve gained 4 more pounds. It seems like I am gaining about one lb. per month. I started doing kicking exercises in my pool. I keep trying to motivate myself to walk. That's how I lost 50 lbs. after I had my son. Maybe the 4 more lbs. will motivate me. Someone send me some motivation vibes, please!! mel1

Okay, I get it-no carbs unless it is fruit or what? I have been looking at lables and things that say they are whole grain-like nutri-gain bars-guess what the first ingredient is? yep-high fructose corn syrup! Same thing with cereals. I got some multi-grain oatmeal-haven't tried it yet. Have to check out the lable. Any advice on finding foods that don't have white sugar or flour? mel1

It's a good thing you read that label! Fruit,yes. I'm diggin the fresh fruit. Last night I bought another box of strawberries. CA seems to have had a great year for strawberries.

As far as pasta and bread.... go to a health food store, like Whole Foods. I don't think you're gonna find it in a regular store.

The cool thing I'm finding out is that the more healthy stuff you eat, the more you crave it. I'm not craving junk food anymore, I'm craving fruit and veggies. I'm not kidding.

Well, OK, the donuts looked really tempting in the store last night, but I sailed right by 'em!

Libby-

You really are inspirational. I need to lose weight just because...dd has gained 30 lbs. since this all started and if she goes on Seroquel or Zyprex we need to get a head start on this healthy eating. As far as the bread and pasta, I get confused when it says whole wheat vs. whole grain. Do you have any idea if one is better than another?

If I ever can find it, I used to have a fabulous recipe for spaghetti squash and red clam sauce. I need to try to find it in my "collection".

Also, has anyone had any luck with ww and these drugs?

What's WW?

Libby, I spent 2 hours at the grocery store reading labels. All these whole grain and whole wheat products have high fructose corn syrup! It took me 10 min. to find bread without white sugar or white flour. Haven't tasted it yet! I did manage to find a good variety of food -including fresh fruit and whole wheat pasta. I will now see what happens. I am really determined to lose weight. I have never had a weight problem. I don't like being overweight, I am very uncomfortable with my body. I hope this new change in diet helps. Wish me luck and willpower. (I too love anything sweet!) mel1

I bought Ezekiel bread. I can't remember what's in it, but it's all whole grain. I think. The whole grain is the main deal. I looked at whole wheat tortillas yesterday, and the first ingredient was "wheat flour." that just means white flour. ugh. I ended up buying corn tostadas which is probably terrible for me, but I didn't reallly want floppy flour tortillas anyway.

Here's what I put on them: hamburger, tatuma squash, fresh tomatoes, onion, chili powder, cayenne, comino. Lettuce. Some shredded sharp cheddar.

I think I'm probably supposed to avoid fat too, but I can't be perfect.

I just remembered that the nurse practitioner lady said to basically follow a diabetic diet on the seroquel. And avoid the white stuff.

I'm new at this too, so we can help each other along. I've lost 9 lbs, but I have a hell of a lot more to go!!

Yeah, mel, high fructose corn syrup is in everything. I heard a program the other day that back in the 1930's the Chemist Society (or something similar), which is now the FDA, banned corn syrup as a food additive, because they said that it would lead to diabetes in the majority of the population. Then later, the FDA allowed it. And here we are! The show said that record numbers of Americans are becoming diabetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived