CrazyBoards.org

can anxiety look like depression?

The topic question pretty much asks all. i have been having mood shifts but im thinking maybe it isnt mood at all...or possibly the mood is just a symptom of anxiety. i have horrible anxiety lately, not consitant with my usual social anxiety, and it seems to make me feel depressed. maybe it isnt depression at all? it doesnt last long, no longer than an hour or so. can anxiety look or even cause depression?

Hi Monster,

I personally think anxiety can lead to depression. I think it did in my case. As my anxiety got worse and i started becoming agoraphobic, i also started to feel really depressed of it. I hope that makes sense.

Tom

Anxiety is definetely related to depression.. How long can a person be anxious? until they become so ovwewhelmed by their anxiuos feelings that they cannot cope anymore???

Fact: frost was very, very anxious many years ago developping a psychosomatic disorder causing her to be constantly dizzy.

In tellling her newly just outt of med school GP, she was prescribed every antidizzy pill on tthe market to no avail.

8 months later. FRosty Crashed because of the dizziness/anxiety - never to be the same again.

I personally think anxiety can lead to depression.

And visa versa, enough depression can make one anxious. There is a lot of gray matter between some of these definitions. For instance, anxiety can definitely lead to paranoia, too.

I definitely think there's a correlation. It's just hard to determine (regarding anxiety vs. depression) which is the cause, and which is the effect. They sort of feed off one another. Becoming depressed because you're a raw nerve. Getting anxious/paranoid because you are depressed, etc. etc.

For years my pdoc has tried to convince me that I have some kind of general anxiety disorder, not depression. I've fought it because I don't have what I've always considered to be typical symptoms of anxiety (fear of social situations, fear of leaving the house, excessive worrying). But as I learn more and more about anxiety, I'm starting to think he's right.

Guest espressogrrl

For years my pdoc has tried to convince me that I have some kind of general anxiety disorder, not depression. I've fought it because I don't have what I've always considered to be typical symptoms of anxiety (fear of social situations, fear of leaving the house, excessive worrying). But as I learn more and more about anxiety, I'm starting to think he's right.

depression for me is the explosion of anxiety. the fetal positioned puddle on the floor, and the raging girl who throws the dirty dishes against the wall. (followed by said puddle)

frustration ---> anxiety ----> explosion ---> hysterically crying joan crawford-esque me.

Sunshine, for me, it's the opposite. I'm trying to convince my docs I'm not depressed dammit! It's anxiety. They didn't believe me. Threw three AD's at me. Made me hyper nuts. They decided that since I had that reaction, that I must be bipolar. Wrong again, I told em. That's just what happens when you put someone who's NOT depressed on TWO ADs. I'm getting new docs soon.

Anxiety can look like depression and vice versa. Can also exist co-morbidly. Although, I do know when I'm anxious for a long duration, it tends to really get me down. Good luck Monster. I hope ya'll get it figured out soon.

Croix

In one of my nuthouse experiences, they *tried* to convince me that the DX I've had all my life was wrong. Nope, never had mania, only anxiety. LOL.

They told me that anxiety and depression are in a sick and twisted relationship that has to do with seratonin (sp?). They put me on SSRI drugs to combat anxiety and depression- off went the bipolar disorder with me running around the developmetn screaming about how the CIA is tapping our phone lines and has special tape recorders set up in our houses!

I agree- depression cannot exist without anxiety, but anxiety can exist without depression. SSRI drugs treat both, so we know it is seratonin somehow, but then benzos calm anxiety (and actually some depression to , how weird!).

I'm rambling and rambling. Please excuse me. I'm listening to my own head telling me that the librarians here in the library hate me and monitor every word I type!

Archived