CrazyBoards.org

What have you done on Ambien?

Ambien, the nation's best-selling prescription sleeping pill, is regularly showing up as a factor in traffic arrests, sometimes involving drivers who don't remember getting in the car, according to a report in the New York Times Wednesday.

In some state toxicology laboratories Ambien is in the top 10 list of drugs found in impaired drivers. Wisconsin officials identified Ambien in the bloodstreams of 187 arrested drivers from 1999 to 2004, the newspaper reported.

There are signs that Ambien-related driving arrests are on the rise. In Washington State, for example, officials counted 78 impaired-driving arrests in which Ambien was a factor last year, up from 56 in 2004.

A spokeswoman for the Food & Drug Administration told the newspaper that the agency is aware of reports of people driving while sleepwalking, but said the drug's current label warnings, which say it should not be used with alcohol and in some cases could cause sleepwalking or hallucinations, were adequate. Users are advised not to drive or operate machinery while taking the drug.

At least 26.5 million prescriptions of the non-narcotic sleeping drug were filled in the U.S. last year. The pills, intended to help short-term insomnia, have been on the market for 13 years and are said to be safe, according to Ambien's maker, Sanofi-Aventis. But there are reports of "hangover" effects such as grogginess as well as some risks of abuse and dependence.

Reports of Ambien-related traffic arrests include driving in the wrong direction, slamming into light poles or parked vehicles as well as seeming oblivious to the arresting officers, the paper reported.

This doesn't really surprise me.

When I was taking ambien I did all kinds of stuff while I was 'asleep'.

I actually worked on my computer for an hour one night while still asleep.

My roommate said I didn't respond when asked questions and didn't really acknowledge anything but what I was doing. I didn't remember any of it the next day, but my comp still works, thank goodness. ;)

Edited to add: He just added 'I hope you know you didn't lose your gun, I hid it.'

Probably a wise move.

This doesn't really surprise me.

When I was taking ambien I did all kinds of stuff while I was 'asleep'.

I actually worked on my computer for an hour one night while still asleep.

My roommate said I didn't respond when asked questions and didn't really acknowledge anything but what I was doing. I didn't remember any of it the next day, but my comp still works, thank goodness. ;)

Edited to add: He just added 'I hope you know you didn't lose your gun, I hid it.'

Probably a wise move.

Yeah, and I think its part of a wider spread issue of psychiatric medications being used on or off prescription.

My p-doc is great.  He is blunt with me.  On 1500mg/seroquel a day he just said dont even think about driving.  You may as well be on a narcotic.  Fortunately I dont have to drive but I really feel for people who do. That is the people who do and are prescribed meds.

Those who use them recreationally are just asking for trouble.  But there is always someone sniffing around your meds Ive found.  I have friends who use recreational drugs regularly and they sometimes ask, hmm can I have some valium or seroquel or whatever.  I hate that.  I need my meds to function.  Recreation is not an option for me med/drug wise (except alcohol, in moderation oh and cigarettes). 

I took Halcion a number of years ago. It was weird enough when I woke up standing in front of the refrigerator, but when I woke up standing over my daughter's crib... jesus christ, that was too much. Stopped it cold immediately.

So, it's now a big news story that ambien may (shocker) cause you to do things that you don't remember the next day.  the story states that "We've had people eat very inappropriate things that they would never eat while awake. Some example would be buttered cigarettes, salt sandwiches, raw bacon."

my friends and i have long joked about the crap we've done (and eaten on ambien) but now that it's an omg news story, i thought we could share our tales of woe, embarassment, and possibly poundage. 

i no longer take ambien, and tell doctors to never give it to me if i ask as i have done some very dangerous things on ambien because i have left the house after taking it, not realizing that i was on it when someone would call to invite me out.  but i'm not going to go into that...  i more wanted to share funny stories

once, a friend of mine lost a wheel of cheese.  we went over our IM chat logs and discovered that she had probably eaten the wheel of cheese in the night.

once i met someone on a street corner who had been in my apartment and was quite friendly and talking to me about my friends... only i not only didn't know his name i had no recollection of his face.  he realized this after talking to me for five mintues.  it's quite odd to try to explain why you don't remember another person.

when i was dating my husband i used to call him and babble endlessly for hours.  he caught on that i wouldn't remember the coversation the next day and would ask me if i was on ambien.  if i was he'd hang up on me.

i'd wake up to find the kitchen a wreck, flour on the floor, cubes of butter missing, whole containers of pop-up bicuits eaten.  (luckily no raw bacon eaten... though a friend of mine did eat a raw bacon blt)

and my personal favorite, i once bit a guy i was dating. hard.  when he woke up and screamed "what the fuck?!" i apparently responded "oh, i'm sorry... i thought you were a blueberry muffin."

ahhh. ambien. 

penny

and my personal favorite, i once bit a guy i was dating. hard.  when he woke up and screamed "what the fuck?!" i apparently responded "oh, i'm sorry... i thought you were a blueberry muffin."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hee hee. Thanks for the chuckle - I love it!

I've seen the recent news stories, too. But I've taken Ambien pretty much ever night for three years (and on and off for three years before that) and I don't think I've ever done anything more bizarre than have a phone conversation or send an email (or post on CrazyBoards) and not remember it the next day.

I don't have any funny stories, but that's okay by me. I am, however, worried that the recent press is going to make the stuff hard (or impossible) to get. The media really pisses me off sometimes. Yeah, there are dangers associated with this drug - just like almost every other drug out there. Ambien is FDA scheduled for a reason.

oh, there is sooo much... phone convos, IM convos, real convos, hallucinations, eating, chain smoking, etc.... i cant even go into detail now... tooo much!

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto! 

Just to many to choose from.

Waking up finding replies to email

I don't remember sending is always Fun!!!!

My mom emailed me a news article on this. I am very guilty of doing stupid things I don't remember after taking my ambien. My husband, who stays up much later than me because he can, willhave to physically grab me and lead me back to bed and make me stay so I don't go do something stupid.

I don't think I've done anything really weird on ambien, but I guess I'll never know.  But if I don't get into bed and turn off the lights right after taking it I'm liable to sit up reading all night or wander back into the living room and watch TV and eat until the wee hours.  I just lose all judgment, except that even after taking it I'm pretty good at remembering my tdoc's warnings to use some discipline and stay in bed. 

I particularly like mistaking your lover for a muffin.  Some of mine would have definitely been more useful if they'd been baked goods. ;)

My mom emailed me a news article on this. I am very guilty of doing stupid things I don't remember after taking my ambien. My husband, who stays up much later than me because he can, willhave to physically grab me and lead me back to bed and make me stay so I don't go do something stupid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when i read your post, i remembered of some other things. i have no idea what you *actually* meant to imly in the post, but it just made me think of this...  like in my other post, other than the sort of.... i dont know, i guess i will call them sorta "harmless" actions/activities, i have, a few times done things.... well... not very good.  ex: a weird phone convo with my friend (who lives at home and i was at school) turned suicidalish... i was walking around the parking lots smoking and then the middle of the streets.... not not good.  .....just many times i guess getting bad thoughts in my head,  ;) bc i have also ended up... umm... SIing while on it.... :)

....then again, i am just downright strange....

• 3 months later...

Archived