CrazyBoards.org

Concentration problem caused by schizophrenia

I have concentration problem caused by schizophrenia.Often i can not understand what other people saying and that makes my life difficult.Its like im deaf and i dont meen conversations like rocket physic just simple chat.

Is there a stimulant for me?

I take the antipsychotic drug abilify 30 mg per day.

No expert here but I don't think the Abilify is doing what it needs to be doing in this area. Check with your PDoc because there are definitely other AAP's that also work with disorganized thinking. Hang in there - it's trial and error (grrrrr, from a Mom who wonders if the trial and error ever stops).

• 2 months later...

Last year, I read an article in a NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) California article that mentioned the possibility of prescribing the lowest dosage of Concerta for people with schizophrenia who are on the stronger antipsychotics.

However, I would think that it would be EXTREMELY rare for a doctor to prescribe a psychostimulant to someone with schizophrenia, because of the dopamine issue----it would seem to have great potential to worsen or bring about symptoms of psychosis in someone with schizophrenia. Risky business. There is Provigil, which is a "wake-promoting agent" that is kind of stimulating---a "stimulant" in its own class----I don't know if it would be contraindicated for folks with schizophrenia.

Have you tried Geodon? I believe that the maximum dosage for schizophrenia is 80 mg twice per day (comes in blue capsules). Geodon is an atypical antipsychotic.

I take Geodon (but I do not have schizophrenia). I did have side effects (drowsiness, mild nausea, poor concentration) the first 3 weeks I started this medication, but then the side effects disappeared.

By the way, 30 mg of Abilify is a high dose, so that is likely to explain the side effects. Of course, it you need the med therapeutically, you should take the dosage necessary, since schizophrenia is a serious condition. But of course, your prescribing doctor should be aware of the side effects.

i'm not sure on the use of stims for your schizophrenic disorganized thinking, because it seems to me that your antipsychotic should be doing the job. as others have pointed out, 30mg is a high dose of abilify. usually the dose is 15mg.

there are other drugs too, as bryan pointed out, there is geodon (i personally hate the stuff, but others swear by it. it is what works for you). i like zyprexa a lot, but there is the side effect of pretty nasty weight gain and potential diabetes. seroquel in a high dose might be a good bet. have you tried any of these? maybe they'll clear up the thinking and you won't need a stim to do it. i take risperdal and like it alot.

i have bp1 and add, and don't take anything for the add. i can concentrate a bit better, probably because manic symptoms are controlled, with my risperdal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd think it would be a lot safter to try strattera or somthing that works on norepenephrine and just norepenephrine.

That's assuming that the concentration problems in sctz are similar in etiology to ADD. Is there any reason to think that such is the case?

I'd think it would be a lot safter to try strattera or somthing that works on norepenephrine and just norepenephrine.

That's assuming that the concentration problems in sctz are similar in etiology to ADD. Is there any reason to think that such is the case?

If they were brought about from global dopamine reduction, maybe. But then I suspect EPS would also be an ongoing issue.

Too many knobs to push, and no telling how the gears in the box are arranged...

My impression also has been that ampehtamine and methylphenidate are the last thing someone with schizophrenia needs.

If there is also a disturbed sleep cycle, Provigil might be useful. Otherwise a straight adrenergic like Straterra or Edronax

would be a good first shot.

IIRC, VIvactil has been (rarely) prescribed for depression w/psychosis - that gives a strong boost to NA and might smooth

out DA via its anticholinergic action. I just do not know if anyone would mix that with a working AAP.

Archived