CrazyBoards.org

taking edge off adderall

I'm under a lot of stress, and it seems I'm much more prone to get really wound up when taking Adderall. I find Adderall very useful in general, but sometimes I just get way to tense and anxious. Once told my tdoc it can sometimes be panic in pill form.

My pdoc thinks I'm a tiny bit bp, tho currently she doesn't want to change my meds. Once, she mentioned lamictal, but it sounds like way too much to deal with for what isn't really a horrible problem. At least when compared to those side effects.

Sometimes when I'm efficient and getting things done, I find myself all worked up, which isn't pleasant for me or the people around me. In fact, if I don't watch it I can develop a bit of a temper, just like my old man always used to do. And I REALLY don't want to be like that.

So, I'm open to suggestions. I'm already working out regularly.

Sometimes when I'm efficient and getting things done, I find myself all worked up, which isn't pleasant for me or the people around me. In fact, if I don't watch it I can develop a bit of a temper, just like my old man always used to do. And I REALLY don't want to be like that.

Your .sig mentions you're on generic. One possibility is to chop a few of the pills in half - either spread the 20mg 2/day

into 10mg 4/day, or even backing down to 10 mg in the afternoon (or morning). If you've gone for 10mg and undershot

what you need, there's always black coffee. or chocolate. or both... You're exercising anyway...

SR may also be an option. Even though it's more expensive, it may be kinder to any cycling that may be going on.

And you don't always have to take that last half a dose.

At least I don't. I'm taking 60 mg a day (or at least when they finally fucking get it to me, damned mail order pharmacy. DAMNED INSURANCE) and I've arranged with my pdoc that if things are too rough that I can skip my last dose or split it so that it doesn't mess with my mood or my sleep cycle.

Just a thought?

Hope that was somewhat readable.

I've been out for awhile. Brain no-workie.

Your .sig mentions you're on generic. One possibility is to chop a few of the pills in half - either spread the 20mg 2/day

into 10mg 4/day, or even backing down to 10 mg in the afternoon (or morning). If you've gone for 10mg and undershot

what you need, there's always black coffee. or chocolate. or both... You're exercising anyway...

SR may also be an option. Even though it's more expensive, it may be kinder to any cycling that may be going on.

I definetely would NOT recommend coffee, if you're feeling jumpy or panicked. I take adderall, and it is a much smoother stimulant than coffee, which has a ton of caffiene and isn't really good for your body anyway.

Wellbutrin would make you more sensitive to caffiene, anyway. Stay away from the coffee if you're prone to getting wound up!

I definetely would NOT recommend coffee, if you're feeling jumpy or panicked. I take adderall, and it is a much smoother stimulant than coffee, which has a ton of caffiene and isn't really good for your body anyway.

The most recent studies have correlated coffee drinking with reduced risks of diabetes and Parkinson's Disease.

That doesn't strike me as all that bad.

Anyway, Adderall is a lot stronger than caffeine for most purposes, so cutting back on the Adderall might leave

someone a bit under-stimulated. It's easier to drink half a cup of coffee than to cut a pill into quarters or eights.

Wellbutrin would make you more sensitive to caffiene, anyway. Stay away from the coffee if you're prone to getting wound up!

Usually, but not always. When I was on WB, I usually had to wash it down with a double espresso. Personally, Emsam/

selegeline struck me as more sensitizing - but that has a different method of action. Hm. It might work as well or better

than Adderall for some folks, aside from the whole MAO-B Inhibitor issue.

The most recent studies have correlated coffee drinking with reduced risks of diabetes and Parkinson's Disease.

That doesn't strike me as all that bad.

Anyway, Adderall is a lot stronger than caffeine for most purposes, so cutting back on the Adderall might leave

someone a bit under-stimulated. It's easier to drink half a cup of coffee than to cut a pill into quarters or eights.

Usually, but not always. When I was on WB, I usually had to wash it down with a double espresso. Personally, Emsam/

selegeline struck me as more sensitizing - but that has a different method of action. Hm. It might work as well or better

than Adderall for some folks, aside from the whole MAO-B Inhibitor issue.

Whatever. I was just responding to Ido, because he's looking for ways to be less tense and anxious.

I'm pretty sure coffee/caffiene works differently in the brain than Adderall. Maybe someone can expound on this.

Guest Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to look into Clonodine. I'm taking a beta blocker and a couple of other blood pressure things already. Would have thought the beta blocker would do the job, but it doesn't.

Ceffeine isn't my drug of choice. Doesn't seem to do nearly as much for my ADD, and after a couple of weeks I'm back where I started anyway, except I don't sleep as well and I HAVE to have it. But I agree that it's probably not that bad for you, from what I've seen.

I mess around with slightly lower doses of Adderall. If I drop to about 2/3, it seems to help but I don't think I'm quite as sharp. But it may be something to experiment further with. I have more fun with s.o. at 2/3, but tend to be a little bit tired and have a little more trouble with punctuality, which I've also gotten in trouble with s.o. about. Plus I absolutely HAVE to do very effective job search in next few weeks.

Yes, that was me above. Now I can't edit it. Hope I don't discover any big mistakes.

Probably the best remedy is when I get a job. Right after Godot shows up.

light dawns on marble head

If Focalyn makes me too cold, and Adderall renders me overly emotional, the answer is pretty clear, isn't it? Anyone ever use both Adderall and some sort of Ritalin related med together? Could use just Ritalin on days expected to be difficult.

FWIW, my nephew can only handle concerta and WBsr together.

Every other combo they tried (including clonodine) failed.

But he had severe ADHD and Bipolar.

He had to be hospitalized to stabilize his medications at age 6, type unstable.

He's 14 now and still on the same meds just larger doses.

Don't know if that info helps you at all.

It's just the only info I have.

Sorry.

Strattera? I didn't think too highly of it until I tried it. Mainly because the Cymbalta/WB combo I was on made me anxious and I thought it was due to too much norepinephrine tweaking. But there is some pretty strong evidence to suggest that Strattera has both anti-anxiety and anti-depressant properties.

I'm taking it in addition to Adderall (among other things - but no antidepressants) and it's working pretty good. Plus I think it's an okay med for BPers. Are you still on Prozac, too?

Guest Guest

Nope. (see signature re fluoxetine) Combination of increased libido and near anorgasmia is rather maddening, tho I have to admit I felt pretty damn good when I could ignore that situation. (Five minutes a day at least.)

I've heard some, maybe not a lot, of bad stuff about Strattera. But I suppose it's something to consider.

My pdoc seems to think all is just ducky, and I don't have an appointment 'til September or something. But maybe I will write and request something different. I admit that, since Focalyn makes me too cool, and Adderall winds me up, maybe they'd balance, but maybe that's like using the gas and the brake at the same time.

(Interesting. Use of the apostrophe now makes my browser go into find mode. Yuck.)

Prozac would be awfully nice if I could get my orgasms back. Perhaps only a fraction as much? I still have some left. Might not give lift but since side effects are real quick, might gauge extent of problem at lower dosage. Somehow, I find myself reluctant.

I MUST NOT take anything that's going to risk my job search, until I get a job. I think Prozac let me be a bit too laid back.

Last week, I freaked out on Friday when I hadn't got everything done. Maybe try Focalyn again tomorrow.

Maddy:

I've had something similar to that combination with Focalyn and generic WB. Didn't like it all that much, tho perhaps I gave up too soon when s.o. said I seemed emotionally flat.

Guest Guest

Nope. (see signature re fluoxetine) Combination of increased libido and near anorgasmia is rather maddening, tho I have to admit I felt pretty damn good when I could ignore that situation. (Five minutes a day at least.)

I've heard some, maybe not a lot, of bad stuff about Strattera. But I suppose it's something to consider.

My pdoc seems to think all is just ducky, and I don't have an appointment 'til September or something. But maybe I will write and request something different. I admit that, since Focalyn makes me too cool, and Adderall winds me up, maybe they'd balance, but maybe that's like using the gas and the brake at the same time.

(Interesting. Use of the apostrophe now makes my browser go into find mode. Yuck.)

Prozac would be awfully nice if I could get my orgasms back. Perhaps only a fraction as much? I still have some left. Might not give lift but since side effects are real quick, might gauge extent of problem at lower dosage. Somehow, I find myself reluctant.

I MUST NOT take anything that's going to risk my job search, until I get a job. I think Prozac let me be a bit too laid back.

Last week, I freaked out on Friday when I hadn't got everything done. Maybe try Focalyn again tomorrow.

Maddy:

I've had something similar to that combination with Focalyn and generic WB. Didn't like it all that much, tho perhaps I gave up too soon when s.o. said I seemed emotionally flat.

Oops... I missed that. Though in my defense, you can't see the signatures once you hit Reply. Not to mention you keep posting as a guest! ;)

I have no idea what Focalyn is, but the whole balancing thing isn't necessarily like using the gas and the brake at the same time. They don't always cancel each other out. I'm taking Xanax and Adderall. And while each addresses some side effects of the other, I'm getting the benefits of both as well.

I'm not promoting Xanax by any means... as great as it's working, I really want to get off it. But getting off was an entirely different topic of this post. Ugh... that was bad. Time for me to go to bed!

Didn't do a lot for lmnop's mood, but you're already on an anitdepressant. And that's why I wouldn't necessarily

suggest Tofranil/Norpramin/Vivactil as long as some form of Ritalin or amphetamine variant is an option.

Maybe dexedrine? That might be more anxiety-provoking though - I really don't know the subjective difference.

Off-label, low-dose selegiline could be something worth looking into, but not at the cost of dropping

an AD that's working.

written in response to Sunshine, who's supposed to be asleep by now.

Hmm... Don't think I want to imagine that post. Although, as an engineer I can't help but imagine the little eccentric brass weight on a motor.... If Xanax has anything to do with getting off, I'd better avoid it. Enough complications in that area anyway. Maybe it's time for me to crash before I say something even worse.

Focalyn is an isomer of ritalin. Supposedly there are less side effects, such as impertinent drug companies nosing in when your other patent expires. But, they were handing out free month's supplies! Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be addictive. (Isomers would be, if there are two possible configurations, one handed version, ie. only the left handed molecule. Well, ok, I don't know if it's just handedness or if it applies to stuff like cis and trans. It would take me 10 seconds to explain with a pencil. In the case of handedness, kind of like a mirror image. Biology often favors one handedness over the other, I'm lead to understand. Some of the new fake sugars use this, I think, so that you can taste but not digest. Anyway, I guess half of your Ritalin is Focalyn. But it's contaminated with that other half. It'll be a miracle if anyone follows my 1AM writing.

nullotrooper: Might be interesting to know which amphetamines in Adderall came in what order. One of them is dexedrine. I'm pretty sure I could work out which one worked how, and that there's some noticable difference, if I kept a log. For instance, at least one of them can make me sleepy, but I don't think they all do.

nullotrooper: Might be interesting to know which amphetamines in Adderall came in what order. One of them is dexedrine. I'm pretty sure I could work out which one worked how, and that there's some noticable difference, if I kept a log. For instance, at least one of them can make me sleepy, but I don't think they all do.

Yeah, but it looks like l-amphetamine isn't prescribed much anymore. It is one of the metabolites of selegiline though.

RxList has some metabolism info. It looks like the d/l ratio starts at 3:1 until peak concentration

and then tails off to 2:1 because l-amphetamine has the longer half-life.

written in response to Sunshine, who's supposed to be asleep by now.

Hmm... Don't think I want to imagine that post. Although, as an engineer I can't help but imagine the little eccentric brass weight on a motor.... If Xanax has anything to do with getting off, I'd better avoid it. Enough complications in that area anyway. Maybe it's time for me to crash before I say something even worse.

I was just being silly. As best I can tell, Xanax has no sexual side effects. It might even slightly improve my libido and ability to get off... not that I've had much practice lately. *sigh*

It'll be a miracle if anyone follows my 1AM writing.

Yep... you lost me. But I'm overworked and very sleep-deprived. I probably wouldn't get it even if I weren't. But due to your inability to explain it - I'm just brain dead when it comes to stuff like chemistry.

Really glad to see you posting again. Oddly, two of my other favorite posters who disappeared for a while also have made a return appearance in the last week.

Actually, I've been posting for a few weeks. Was feeling really stressed when my Dad got sick and I didn't have a job. (Still don't, but he's not very sick anymore.) That's the kind of time I start to spend time on Crazyboards.

BTW, last Friday I tried half my dose of Focalin and half of Adderall. Seems pretty close to desired effect. Had many of the ingredients for a meltdown but did not melt down. Got on fairly well with s.o., tho we are having a bit of what, for us, is a rough patch. Felt like I had energy and some emotional range, but was able to reign myself in when required in a situation much like one when I had a meltdown last week. The meltdowns are frustrating because I'm perfectly aware of how inappropriate they are while they are going on, but I can't quite get out of them for a while. Of course, employment would suppress them VERY well, I'm sure.

It's not easy to break open a Focalin capsule, stir up all the little beads, split the pile in two, put half back in the capsule, and take the other half. Will have to think up a better way as it took me 15 minutes the first time. I ended up taking the other half maybe 7 hours later because the stuff doesn't last nearly as long as they say it does, and the crash is nasty.

Archived