CrazyBoards.org

i can hear my eyes when i turn them from side to side.

old dx: mdd.

new dx: bp2 - as suggested by my gp.

yeah. so. was at 225 mg effexor (also taking 75 mg seroquel). my gp always thought i might be bp2, so when i finished with old pdoc, he tapered me down off effexor and started me on lithium.

i tapered effexor at 37.5 mg per week and this is day three without any. this is also day 4 with lithium at 900 mg (ramped up at 300 mg per week).

for the last two days i have been getting what i have interpreted as BAD effexor withdrawal. currently, as i sit here on the couch, i can hear my eyes move from side to side (voluntarily that is). and my brain is about a half-second behind them. now, i recognise the dizziness (and headaches, blah blah) as standard effexor withdrawal. but i've never actually heard a slight swishing sound as i move my eyes.

i am hoping it is not something the lithium is doing cos aside from the agitation, irritation and anger it is helping my negative moods.

grouse.

Grouse, I went off of Effexor very much the same way you did - very gradually then down to 37.5 for at least a month, then 37.5 every other day for another two weeks or so. I still had hellacious and freaky withdrawls. I believe you when you say you can hear your eyes moving and sloshing because I could hear my eyelashes and I'm serious.

Maybe you are acutely sensitive on a physical level too.

The encouraging part is the severe withdrawl I experienced only lasted a week or two. I know this sounds like a lot but hey this MI stuff and medications are the sh*ts any way you look at it, isn't this so?

Take very good care of yourself in the meantime. It was very worthwhile for me to get off of it entirely as it really caused "mixed state" for me.

Good luck and stay safe.

Hey Grouse!

Uh, I don't really know about Effexor, but isn't that kind of fast? To go off of that and on Lithium? Sounds fast.

But someone else besides me will know better.

How ya been? I've missed you.

Breeze

thanks very much for your responses guys.

i really appreciate the info. i'm glad that this is more likely an effexor thing. i suppose i should have done the 'take 37.5 mg every other day' thing for a while. frankly, now that i've stopped effexor i really don't want to take any more of it.

and i don't want to go on any other antidepressants. i want to see how lithium and seroquel work for me.

then i guess it's click my heels three times and, well, whatever.

thank you all again.

grouse.

It took me 2-3 months to get off cymbalta because of the brain zaps and something similar to what you are experiencing. I went from 60 to 30 for a week and was supposed to take 30 for a week and then stop. NOT! I had to go back to 30, then down to 20 for 2 wks. and then 20 every other day, then every few days, then once aweek, and finally stop. I think slower is better when coming off of meds. My pdoc wanted to put me on effexor, which is alot like cymbalta and I said no way- I was not going through that withdrawal hell again. mel1

grouse - been there with the effexor withdrawls. My doc suggested taking Dipahydramine (sp?)/ Benadryl that he has seen it help with withdrawl effects. I have no idea if its true or placebo, but taking it seems to reduces the brain zaps and jitters I was getting. Take care

again, thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

one other question though.

anger. holy shit.

i am experiencing huge spikes of anger and almost rage. by nature, i have a bad temper but have learned at an early age to control it. but now with this med change i am finding it welling up almost instantaneously. not unprovoked mind you, but in instances where i would normally just get a bit excited or irritated i am now getting pulses of rage running through me, like i want to just go and fucking obliterate whatever or whomever is riling me.

maybe i just need more high energy action in my life.

but, dammit, i want to break things. smash them. rats.

breeze, yeah, i guess it may have been a quick transition from effexor to lithium but i needed rapid change and this seemed like a good idea. i've always HATED effexor. felt it was expensive and useless for me.

thanks all,

grouse.

Guest Guest

Grouse,

My most prominent withdrawal symptom from Effexor -- which I experience on the following day if I miss a single dose -- is the feeling that my brain is a split second slower than the movement of my eyes. It's comforting to hear of someone else with that reaction, because two different pdocs have told me they've never heard that one. Thankfully, I've never had the brain zaps.

The first time I came off Effexor I took a short course of Prozac, and that helped tremendously. This last time it was Wellbutrin, which wasn't quite as successful.

As for the rage: I just had a similar thing during a transition from Effexor to Cymbalta. I'd get worked up about the smallest things and decide that nothing was good enough and everyone should just go to hell, and I'd get so frustrated I'd start sobbing -- not like me at all. I'm much more the stare-blankly-into-space type. My pdoc attributed this to untreated depression, not the Cymbalta or the Effexor withdrawal. Did you ever have the rage before when untreated? It was new for me.

Boo

hi guest,

thanks for your experiences about the anger. i did not have anger problems as bad as these before i was on effexor. personal problems over the last couple of years have contributed to my current situation though. but for things to go so bad right at this moment i feel it must be due to the meds change. i think it is most likely that what is happening is that my meds changes are simply allowing my anger to surface.

when it comes to anger i'm not the sobbing type either. i'm violent.

and the brain zaps. yeah. i have had those. i was asking the pharmacist about these electric shock things i was getting and she confirmed for me that they were due to effexor. they were whole-body things for me and once i spasmed enough to knock my mouse off my desk.

oh well, i guess i'll just keep breaking things. an extension cord and ski pole are on today's tally so far.

grouse.

Guest lmmmnop

Lithium and Seroquel, the cocktail of champions! I don't recall any new rage issues with starting either one. I was on Lithium alone for a while before they tacked on the Seroquel. I had one stress-triggered ragey hypomania after a couple of months of lithium and a couple of weeks of Seroquel, after which point my Seroquel was quadrupled to my present dose. I doubt this was caused by lithium, though; I'd had rage issues like this before. Yay, hypomania.

I know going off ADs, especially Effexor with its reputation for having Withdrawal Symptoms of Infinite Suck, can cause all sorts of weird shit to happen. Your body is not through with adjusting to the absence of this ingredient from its chemical soup. Check for other contributing factors -- any additional stress, and OTC meds, change in sleeping habits, etc -- and see if there's a potential lifestyle shift influencing your anger issues. Some ADs -- I don't know if Effexor is one of them -- have a reputation for blunting emotion. Losing that could cause certain emotions to have a sudden spike in severity for a while. And hey, maybe it is the lithium. I've never heard of that effect before, but all things are possible in the land of crazy meds. Give it a few weeks.

-ella/lmnop

libby, you get mad that you can't pull it around a corner of the house so you haul on it till the end rips off. the cord then takes its revenge a little bit later when you sit down on the front steps and the torn end brushes the back of your thigh. you of course having forgotten to unplug the other end.

lmmmmnop, they will be hard-pressed to get me to take another AD. thanks for sharing your experiences. i'll continue to give it time. but the shwisssshhh thing when i turn my head or eyes is getting really old really quick.

i hope the rage thing goes away soonish. i almost really hurt my finger by bashing it.

grouse.

Guest espressogrrl

I broke 3 pieces of dishware this week.

I think I am going to have to replace everything in my house with styrofoam and plastic.

grrr.

BTW, I just wanted to add that I'm on Effexor AGAIN for the third time in my life because it actually WORKS for me (a little bit) -- it makes a dent in the depression, unlike anything else I've tried. Yes, the withdrawal sucks out loud, but let's remember that every crazy med that scared someone really helped someone else (I just wish we could tell a hell of a lot quicker what's going to work and what's not.)

Boo

Grouse,

Hope this goes away soon.

I'm also an angry type, naturally,and it's only been through great effort that most of the people who know me now think that I am not. My s.o. knows otherwise, but I make great effort to make clear to her that when I'm being obnoxious it's not because I'm mad at her. And when I am mad at her, which is rarely, I try to keep it civilised. Lately, under stress, my Adderall has tended to make me more prone to getting wound up. Very tough to keep a lid on. But my motivation was to be unlike my father, who caused me a lot of emotional pain with his anger. And I guess what you might describe as a bit of emotional crippling. He never hit me much, certainly nothing that might have been considered abusive at the time, but that might have been easier to take. Tho I can't remember the occasion, I can still remember "You idiot" delivered with great sincerity and many decibels.

In the past, when I've felt like I was going to lose it, I've gone elsewhere. Just out. Walking around, whatever. Because that's better than attacking someone. Verbally or otherwise. Rare event, but a useful response.

I hope you're still walking up and down that hill. I know that something like that would help me with an anger problem.

ALso hope that some of the above was useful, or at least entertaining.

Archived