CrazyBoards.org

http://www.effexorhell.mongan.com.au/library.htm

That's just one of many sites I've been to that have scared the shit out of me. I don't know why I torture myself by reading this stuff. I guess that's another disorder I have. Anyway, I told my doctor (gyn) that I had read bad stuff about it and she said that all her patients have done great with it - no complaints (and no one gained weight) and that the people who like it feel so good they don't bother to post comments on message boards. Well, I certainly fucking hope that's the case.

I'm on the 4th day of Effexor XL 37.5. First day - slept all day. Second day - Felt OK - Third day - Woke up clenching my teeth, a bit dizzy, vision a bit blurred and tired again. Today - just tired.

Damn, what's it going to be like when I go to 75 next week? Does anyone have anything positive to say about this drug? Am I screwed already? Should I stop now? Give it a chance? I already have brain fog from menopause, I can't imagine it getting any worse.

Oh yeah - the doctor said it would not only help my depression but get rid of the hot flashes.

post-3163-1152228169.jpg

Hi Jbinsco, welcome!

There are plenty of crank websites run by idiots who don't know what they are talking about. Just to point out a few of her her errors: She complains that effexor wasn't working, but then says she decreased her dose from that prescribed by her doctor over 8 months. Effexor, like many other MI drugs does have discontinuation effects. That is why one normally NEVER stops cold turkey. You taper off. If the effects are too uncomfortable you stop the taper and let them ease up before continuing down. This numbskull gal went cold turkey from 75mg to 0. No wonder she feels like crap. There are 4 levels she skipped. 50, 37.5, 25m then 0. She also writes her diatribe on only the 7th day after attempting to quit. Many many meds take a week or two to reduce side effects.

Now, we do have plenty of members satisfied with Effexor. Not every med works for everyone, but you have to give meds time to work. The brain doesn't really start to fully respond till around 6 - 8 weeks.

If you are having a difficult time with the med talk to your doc. If you aren't over the initial side effects before the next scheduled increase, it make sense to wait a while till you are feeling fine again. It doesn't make sense to follow an arbitrary schedule if your body isn't ready.

Be sure to check out our antidepressants forum for drug info links and other threads on effexor.

Feel free to post and ask any of the mods for help.

Hope we can be of help to you.

a.m.

Guest Guest_bjinsco_*

Hi Jbinsco, welcome!

There are plenty of crank websites run by idiots who don't know what they are talking about. Just to point out a few of her her errors: She complains that effexor wasn't working, but then says she decreased her dose from that prescribed by her doctor over 8 months. Effexor, like many other MI drugs does have discontinuation effects. That is why one normally NEVER stops cold turkey. You taper off. If the effects are too uncomfortable you stop the taper and let them ease up before continuing down. This numbskull gal went cold turkey from 75mg to 0. No wonder she feels like crap. There are 4 levels she skipped. 50, 37.5, 25m then 0. She also writes her diatribe on only the 7th day after attempting to quit. Many many meds take a week or two to reduce side effects.

Now, we do have plenty of members satisfied with Effexor. Not every med works for everyone, but you have to give meds time to work. The brain doesn't really start to fully respond till around 6 - 8 weeks.

If you are having a difficult time with the med talk to your doc. If you aren't over the initial side effects before the next scheduled increase, it make sense to wait a while till you are feeling fine again. It doesn't make sense to follow an arbitrary schedule if your body isn't ready.

Be sure to check out our antidepressants forum for drug info links and other threads on effexor.

Feel free to post and ask any of the mods for help.

Hope we can be of help to you.

a.m.

Thanks - What a relief. I feel much better now. I like this board.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry - I started to reply and forgot to log in and somehow it got posted. I couldn't delete it.

I'm on the 4th day of Effexor XL 37.5. First day - slept all day. Second day - Felt OK - Third day - Woke up clenching my teeth, a bit dizzy, vision a bit blurred and tired again. Today - just tired.

From the startup side-effects (and well, the dosage) you're still in the zone where Effexor acts like a

strong SSRI. That's probably also why Tom could go straight to Celexa from 75mg FX without all of the

heinous side effects you'll read about.

The upshot is that unless it's absolutely wrong for you - and the odd are AGAINST that - blood levels

will stabilize, the brain will learn to cope, and you'll feel a hell of a lot better.

In the meantime, as A.M. said, you don't have to rush the dosage up. And let's face it, it took a

long time to get worn down to needing the medications, so a month or two to get back to something

like normal isn't so bad. (Heck, even getting from "Kill me now!" to "Well, this sux." is usually well

worth the price of admission)

>>From the startup side-effects (and well, the dosage) you're still in the zone where Effexor acts like a

strong SSRI.<<

Ahhh- I was on Paxil for 5 months several years ago and it did nothing for me. I was a zombie the whole time - it left me flat, flat, flat. I don't think SSRI's work for me. My pdoc had me try Welbutrin - that weirded me out the first day so then I tried Pamelor for a few months with no luck. I went on Ritalin for ADD and the depression lifted. He said sometimes Ritalin works when AD's don't. I stopped seeing that pdoc (didn't really care for him) so no more Ritalin. Since I was feeling myself again I didn't want to keep taking it. I might eventually get back on it if the Effexor doesn't work. Also, I think I should get back on Armour thyroid because I swear it helped with the depression and gave me energy. My pcp said Armour can't be 'fine-tuned' and put me on Levoxyl.

>>In the meantime, as A.M. said, you don't have to rush the dosage up. And let's face it, it took a

long time to get worn down to needing the medications, so a month or two to get back to something

like normal isn't so bad. (Heck, even getting from "Kill me now!" to "Well, this sux." is usually well

worth the price of admission)<<

>>From the startup side-effects (and well, the dosage) you're still in the zone where Effexor acts like a

strong SSRI.<<

Ahhh- I was on Paxil for 5 months several years ago and it did nothing for me. I was a zombie the whole time - it left me flat, flat, flat. I don't think SSRI's work for me. My pdoc had me try Welbutrin - that weirded me out the first day so then I tried Pamelor for a few months with no luck. I went on Ritalin for ADD and the depression lifted. He said sometimes Ritalin works when AD's don't. I stopped seeing that pdoc (didn't really care for him) so no more Ritalin. Since I was feeling myself again I didn't want to keep taking it. I might eventually get back on it if the Effexor doesn't work. Also, I think I should get back on Armour thyroid because I swear it helped with the depression and gave me energy. My pcp said Armour can't be 'fine-tuned' and put me on Levoxyl.

>>In the meantime, as A.M. said, you don't have to rush the dosage up. And let's face it, it took a

worth the price of admission)<<

;) That makes sense but I want out of the strong SSRI zone. Will that happen when I up it to 75? Sorry, I'm a bit confused... I'm having a hard time putting thoughts in order.

You'll be in the SSRI zone until about 225mg or more per day. Like i said it really f*cked me up when i was starting it. It sounds like you're only getting mild side effects. Stick with it.

Tom

Heh, call me Crazy. I went straight from 300mg Effexor to Celexa! I only had some minor body shock sensations lol.

That's what you get for being stupid.

Tom

Oh. I only saw the "75" in your post, and just assumed ... :embarassed:

>>You'll be in the SSRI zone until about 225mg or more per day. Like i said it really f*cked me up when i was starting it. It sounds like you're only getting mild side effects. Stick with it.<<

Oh my! 225 mg really scares me. That sounds like an awful lot for me - I'm such a lightweight. I'm pretty sure my doctor was planning on me staying at 75. She's a gynecologist so she's prescribing for menopause depression (although I've been dx'd with clinical depression) and hot flashes.

Why would doctors prescribe snri and keep ya in ssri range?

Thanks for your help Tom. I guess I will stick with it then. How is the Celexa working for you?

• 1 month later...

I've started the 6th week (75mg effexor) today. I am just as fatigued as ever and feel more depressed - maybe even more. I don't think I was even this tired on Paxil. I can't think straight

Should I give up on this drug?

;)

I've been taking 75 mg of Effexor for nearly 8 months. The first months were rough because I was quite nauseous. Now, I have virtually no SEs, except for sexual---but I take Wellbutrin, which kinda helps. Personally, I don't think 6 weeks is very long to see if Effexor is working, but I'm not a doctor.

Dianebea

Hello,

I'm 40, weigh 115 or so, and take 225mg every morning. I started at 75, then doubled it to 150, and felt like CRAP. So we upped it to 225mg, and finally, I feel better.

So as far as being lightweight and still feeling depression along the way, I can say from experience that it's still worth a try. As someone above pointed out, it starts to work on different inhibitors in your brain at 225mg, which means it may very well do nothing for you at one dose, then be very effective at a higher dose.

This is an important point, so I'll repeat--it only works on certain things at the level you're at. If what it's working on isn't what's causing your depression, it won't feel like it's working for you. Talk to your doc about the tipping effect at 225, because it's at that point that it starts to work on other stuff. So yes, feeling depressed at that dose would make sense if what you're needed tweaked isn't getting tweaked yet.

Good luck to you!

lily

I've started the 6th week (75mg effexor) today. I am just as fatigued as ever and feel more depressed - maybe even more. I don't think I was even this tired on Paxil. I can't think straight

Should I give up on this drug?

;)

Don't give up!! I was on effexor for 5+ years, went off it, tried 4 or 5 others and am back on it because the others just didn't work as well for me. The last med I tried, cymbalta, I was on 60mg and it did very little for my mood. Nearly 2 weeks ago, I started back on effex at 150mg and will go up to 300mg this Wednesday. It's whipping my butt, let me tell you! Between going off the cymbalta and starting at the higher dose of effex, I could sleep 24 hours a day. But once my body gets used to it again, I'll be ok. I'm not the only person that's come back to effexor after trying others. From experience, though, I'd ask the doc about upping your dose to the theraputic dose. 75mg doesn't let the full benefit of the med shine through.

Good luck!

I had some friends who'd been on it a year and they coached me through it.

At first I felt tired, and ok...it didn't make me upset as I got to work and then vegged out. My sister actually said, act like you're having the flu, just get some books and be on the couch for .... a while...I think at five weeks I finally had weekends off the couch.

I had some fun side effects at first...really! My legs kinda tingled...I also had a kind of odd but ok taste in my mouth. I enjoyed tingly physical sensations that didn't really go away for a few months...very nice sensation.

then it worked pretty well. I'm on 150.

And not all ssri's are the same, obviously. Effexor isn't the same as paxil or zoloft etc. Hope you get some benefit!! Be good to yourself and take it easy...drink lotsa water anyhow...just good idea...

Luli

I've been on it for about two months now. Initially, I had about 10 days of nausea, and crazy bouts of yawning. Otherwise, nada. The yawning happens occasionally, but no more nausea. This has been a miracle drug for me. It stopped my rapid cycling into depression cold. I am anaorgasmic since starting it, but frankly, feeling better is worth it.

I've been taking 75 mg of Effexor for nearly 8 months. The first months were rough because I was quite nauseous. Now, I have virtually no SEs, except for sexual---but I take Wellbutrin, which kinda helps. Personally, I don't think 6 weeks is very long to see if Effexor is working, but I'm not a doctor.

Dianebea

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll stick with it for another month. The extreme fatigue is really the only side effect I've had - but that was also the only side effect I had with Paxil (for 5 months). Paxil took away the depression but also every emotion I had - talk about a zombie! With Effexor I'm so tired and I still feel depressed. I'll have to say, it has taken away the night sweats (due to menopause).

Hello,

I'm 40, weigh 115 or so, and take 225mg every morning. I started at 75, then doubled it to 150, and felt like CRAP. So we upped it to 225mg, and finally, I feel better.

So as far as being lightweight and still feeling depression along the way, I can say from experience that it's still worth a try. As someone above pointed out, it starts to work on different inhibitors in your brain at 225mg, which means it may very well do nothing for you at one dose, then be very effective at a higher dose.

This is an important point, so I'll repeat--it only works on certain things at the level you're at. If what it's working on isn't what's causing your depression, it won't feel like it's working for you. Talk to your doc about the tipping effect at 225, because it's at that point that it starts to work on other stuff. So yes, feeling depressed at that dose would make sense if what you're needed tweaked isn't getting tweaked yet.

Good luck to you!

lily

Thanks for your reply. You could very well be right but I am paranoid about taking a higher dose. I will talk to the doctor about it on August 18. She's a gynecologist. I think she has all her patients on 75 mg because they are "menopausal" - experiencing hot flashes and depression due to hormone imbalance. I'll have to tell her about my "chemical imbalance". I have clinical depression. Twenty years ago I was dx'ed "manic depressive" but a few years ago was undiagnosed by a new pdoc. He thought I probably had PMDD back then which apparently can mimic bipolar. My sister was dx bipolar a few years ago. Seems these days everyone is dx'ed bipolar. I wonder how many really are...

Archived