CrazyBoards.org

Hiya-

I'm on 200mg Lamictal. From what I've read, that is the highest effective dose. However, my pdoc and I are basically searching the bottom of the ocean when it comes to figuring out how to balance me without tipping the scales. I just will NOT increase my Zyprexa!

Is there any chance that increasing Lamictal could save the day, or are we looking at raising Zyprexa?

Loon

I think the literature mentions doses as high as 400mg. I know we have several members at that level and perhaps a few others sligthly higher.

BTW some birth control pills can cut the effectiveness of lamictal by half. Recommend you ask both pdoc and prescribing doc about yours.

a.m.

I think the literature mentions doses as high as 400mg. I know we have several members at that level and perhaps a few others sligthly higher.

BTW some birth control pills can cut the effectiveness of lamictal by half. Recommend you ask both pdoc and prescribing doc about yours.

a.m.

I think Revlow's info is that she's on like 400 mg or maybe even more. You might look for her posts. Hope you're hanging in there, Loon...

Best, CB

I am now at 400mg, and was told that it's the maximum doseage.

Side effects for me at this dose are constipation unless I drink lots of water, shaking hands, poor balance (mostly in morning). None of that happened at 350mg.

Oh man, birth control cuts Lamictal's effectiveness by HALF?! Is this all birth crontrol pills? I'm taking Yasmin, and my doc says that it won't do a thing to my Lamictal... so is she just stupid, or is Yasmin different somehow?

Been up to 600 mgs. here of Lamictal. Toxic baybee, toxic. Not fun. Got a friend, a guy, who is up to 800 mgs. right now. No problemo. Guess he's not too worried about becoming a breeder.

But! Even though I'm a female, my neuro. says the sky is the limit w/this drug.

But again, he is also an asshole and upped me from 400mgs. to 600mgs. in one week once he read the results of the EEG and MRI after my very eventful and entertaining GTC this past October.

Apparantly, thank you-very-much-my-loving-parents-for-never-telling-me-I-had-lots-of-seizures-as-an-infant, this neurologist initially shoved Lamictal and Dilantin my way then upped my Lammy at such an extreme level so quickly, he made me into the Toxic Avenger.

Once he discovered what he had done, he dropped the Lamictal to 425mgs, and eventually eased it back to 300mgs, where I am now. Oh yeah, and it took 3 months to get off of the 400 mgs of Dilantin he had me on as well. Soooo, (still following along, kiddies?) I'm now on 300 mgs. Lamictal and 300 mgs. of that wonder drug we all know and love, that hair-loss miracle called Dope-A-Max, er, Topamax.

So, to answer your question....to say that 400mgs. is the limit for Lamictal, truly, that is bullshit. You really can go higher. But you need to be monitored by a good neuro. Preferably someone who speaks a language you can understand.

Hi. I'm new.

I have been taken 300 mg. for over a year. It works for me. Recently, during a bout w/ mixed states, I asked if I could go up a little on my Lamictal and my pdoc says they don't like to raise it too much above what I'm on. I'm on Yasmin bc too. As far as bc pills cutting the dose in half, I'm pretty sure that's not a given. There is no way (as far as I know) that you could know that it is cut in half, so it would be like I'm taking 150 mg. instead of the 300. I read that Lamictal is the least-likely AC to cause you bc pills not to work. If you have breakthrough bleeding, it's a sign that you bc pills may not be working. Alot of uncertainty here, huh? I would trust what your pdoc says, unless you don't trust your pdoc. I'm not an expert, this is just what I've read. Some from the PDI and some from Lamictal website, so I think it's fairly reliable.

It states, bc pills MAY decrease the concentration of Lamictal in your blood stream. Don't you love the big MAYBE?

my pdoc said that only the lamictal was effected by the pill, not the pill by the lamictal. the pill will work the same unless i am on too much lamictal and get spotting, and then we'd back down the lam. the effective dose of lam is twice what you'd like to have if you're on the pill, according to my pdoc. so my 400 is really 200 to him. but who knows? we're all unique. and being mental, we're very unique! i'll ask him about both the gabitril (a different post) and upping Lamictal. Lam is holding down the fort right now, except for that scary mania last night i feel fine!

Hi dumdum!

::Toxic Avenger:::: snort::::

(I have actuall seen all of the Toxic Avenger Movies)

Anyway..sorry for the thread jack Loon ;)

What everyone else said. There are enough people on higher doses that I would ask your doc why he thinks 400mg is the max.

Just curious...why do you want to avoid the zyprexa dose increase? Side effects?

Just wanting to say hello and glad you are writing here. Lots of experience even though we aren't docs it helps to hear how others are doing.

I'm just on 100 lamictal and 150 effexor for bad depression on depression, so don't know about being at 400 or higher. I'm just thinking about how much time it takes to tell what is going on, whether it takes 400 or 100 of lamictal...

You are sort of new here? Someone here is...feel free to post down under Introductions and if you want to tell more and get support, c'mon down to springer board....

Best wishes, Luli

Heya,

1. Hi new person! (dumdum ... cute name)

2. The Lamictal people (GSK I think) sent us out a Dear Doctor type letter several months ago, advising us that patients on Lamictal should *not* rely on strictly hormonal forms of contraception.

They're covering their butts for the inevitable lawsuits (in the US anyways) about wrongful pregnancies or whatever.

Lamictal *does* decrease circulating estrogen levels, enough to maybe cause breakthrough bleeding, but *supposably* not enough to affect the estrogen's contraceptive efficacy. Not been tested formally, and how would you do *that* study?? (Plus, noone will test Lamictal again for *anything* b/c it's generic, argh.)

As far as the other way around -- estrogen can cut circulating Lamictal levels by ?up to half. My own Lamictal level went from 13.3 (off the pill) to 9.1 (on the pill). Whether this is clinically significan't isn't clear. But it's likely that people taking estrogen may benefit from higher doses of Lamictal.

Bleh, I dunno if that made any sense, I'm tired and cranky, some days this job just really sucks.

Thanks CBers for being here.

--ncc--

Archived