CrazyBoards.org

Restless Leg Syndrome

I'm not sure where to post this but I bet there's gotta be some of you out there who have Restless Leg Syndrome. I'm just curious as to what any of you do for it. I've tried neurontin, mirapex, requip, sinemet, klonopin with somewhat mixed success. The only thing I found that completely alleviates all my RLS symptons is an herb called kratom.

ryan

My mom and best friends mom have both had great success with lexapro 10mg. Believe it or not.

They were both rx'd it for anxiety, and the side effect was it helped with the restless leg syndrom they both have. One the few nights were mom overdoes it, she takes a muscle relaxer before bed. Just their experience. Not sure if that's what happens for other people. Worth asking doc about though, ya know?

Croix

My mom and best friends mom have both had great success with lexapro 10mg. Believe it or not.

They were both rx'd it for anxiety, and the side effect was it helped with the restless leg syndrom they both have.

Lexapro shoved me right through RLS into EPS. YMWV.

The OTC herb mucuna pruriens, also labelled as "DopaBean" contains l-dopa. Pharmaceutical l-dopa has been

used to help some RLS patients when the cause has been attributed to low dopamine levels. It helped with the

problems I had from Lexapro a LOT. (The doctor and I both knew there was a good chance I'd have problems,

but it proved we TRIED an SSRI.)

Because the active chemical of interest is in the pathway: phenylalanine > tyrosine > l-dopa > dopamine > noradrenaline

it may not be kind to people with severe anxiety problems, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia. And, you might want to

stay clear of extra caffeine...

Hi people, thanks for the herb info, worth looking into...

I and me darn legs matee... have suffered for decades... no remedies have helped me... The more stressors

I have, the more I kick... So no help here.. I do notice warm legs help me a lot...

FRosty..

Good point. Both women had anxiety issues to begin with, so it killed two birds with one stone in their cases. Refresh my memory. EPS is.........?

Extrapyramidal symptoms - akathisia (Wikipedia link) and the more miserable effects of clamping down on dopamine usually associated

with antipsychotics. The linked article mentions benadryl - the rebound off that stuff makes it a no-no for me anytime after

lunchtime if I want to get to sleep in a reasonable time that night.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to post this but I bet there's gotta be some of you out there who have Restless Leg Syndrome. I'm just curious as to what any of you do for it. I've tried neurontin, mirapex, requip, sinemet, klonopin with somewhat mixed success. The only thing I found that completely alleviates all my RLS symptons is an herb called kratom.

ryan

Anemia is also a culprit with RLS. I am severely and chronically anemic and if I miss a day of two of supplements I get RLS, when I get caught back up the RLS goes away. My Mom is the same way, perhaps it's familial, dunno, I just know of all the discomforts this one really sucks. I get mine after I'm asleep a couple hours, it wakes me up--for hours. My Mom, OTOH, has it going to sleep, and then once asleep it doesn't bother her any further throughout the night. Go figure.

FWIW.

S9

It's classified as a sleep disorder I'm pretty sure.
Affirmative, VE. The anemia thing is a weird, down the list if nothing else fits. Weird. My Mom and I were onto it before the medicos and they were like, "bah! bullshit!" And now it's in the literature. Fuckers. Sha well.

S9

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest_frenchy_*

ryan

I believe running a marathon helps. Along with yoga, roller blading, walking, bicycling, etc. I bet red meat helps too, but don't quote me on that one. Ya know, global warming and all. Tofu! The doctors do suggest tegretol and gabapentin to "calm down the nerves." (WebMD, etc.) Good luck.

This 'Restless Leg Syndrome' thing is so incredibly ludicrous. I cannot believe how ridiculous the RLS commercial is. If people have Restless Leg Syndrome, then why have we not heard about it ten or twenty years ago? What disgusts me is obviously this is some made up condition to sell a bunch of pills you do not need to take. If you have RLS, you probably just need to learn how to relax before you go to bed. Also, in the commercial, they make references to an increase in gambling or sexual urges. So what they infer in the commercial is that taking the pill will make you want to gamble or have sex more. That sounds like a pretty cool pill actually!! What the??

This 'Restless Leg Syndrome' thing is so incredibly ludicrous. I cannot believe how ridiculous the RLS commercial is. If people have Restless Leg Syndrome, then why have we not heard about it ten or twenty years ago? What disgusts me is obviously this is some made up condition to sell a bunch of pills you do not need to take. If you have RLS, you probably just need to learn how to relax before you go to bed. Also, in the commercial, they make references to an increase in gambling or sexual urges. So what they infer in the commercial is that taking the pill will make you want to gamble or have sex more. That sounds like a pretty cool pill actually!! What the??

Or it just wasn't recognized. There are many now-recognized diseases out there that were not treated properly even 20 years ago. An analogy would be pediatric depression. The lack of recognition of that 15 years ago is why I'm lucky to be alive now.

RLS is considered by many to be a mild Parkinson-like syndrome due to the similarities to more severe parkinson-like disorders as well as the traditional Parkinson's disease. ('Parkinson-like disorders' refer to disorders that affect the same areas of the brain that traditional Parkinson's disease does, but unlike PD, are due to definitive factors.) It is true that a lot of people have RLS so mild that medication wouldn't be a good idea, given the side effects (unless they find them beneficial, heh). You are also right that people need to manage their stress better before going to bed (if it doesn't help the RLS, at least it'll work in a good direction to improve sleep quality in general).

But for others, regardless of other factors, RLS interferes with their sleep enough to cause problems with daytime alertness (or lack thereof). Mirapex and ReQuip, two major RLS drugs, were shown in rigorous FDA (the FDA is a nit-picking intractable bitch, trust me) trials to be better than the sugar pill (placebo) at calming the movements and improving sleep.

Personally, I have one of the moderately-severe parkinson-like disorders (mine is due to brain damage), and it has unexpectedly caused me RLS. I have tried traditional ("parasympathetic") relaxation, but strangely, that made everything worse! (Don't ask why.) I've asked my health psychology therapist to see if he can pull up relaxation that is oriented towards "focus", maybe that will help in my case. I'll report back later with the results.

Have you found any articles (journal or regular news media) about relaxation in RLS? I have not been able to find many that are relevant. Maybe there should be trials comparing the power of relaxation vs. RLS drugs.

Archived