CrazyBoards.org

I'm back....

having read some of your previous posts, i get the impression you have problems getting the results you want with many meds. i wouldn't get too wrapped about what meds indicate what diagnosis. many bps take ads without a problem. some mdd's take mood stabilizers as well. some ocd's and anxiety folks take anti-psychotics instead of the serotonin usual. everyone's different.

i'm guessing you have non-standard responses to medications. you could be very sensitive and have different chemistry. that doesn't automatically mean this label or that is more appropriate. i would focus on your symptoms anxiety/depression and work carefully with your pdoc to find the solution. if you have reason to believe you're bipolar based on your behavior history (and not just how you get on anti-depressants--which can be a clue, NOT a rule) then maybe you should request a trial on a stronger stabilizer like depakote. AND don't forget to include therapy!

good luck,

I remember reading about your trials and tribulations with just about every med under the sun, and I have to say that it seems rather obvious that ADs are not working for you, regardless of your dx. I don't remember what mood stabilizers and APs you tried, but I think I remember you had a lot of problems with side effects. In my non-doctor opinion, I would say mood stabilizers would be the preferred treatment for you, if you can find one that works.

after trying prozac, paxil, zoloft, celexa, effexor and cymbalta (and spending those 10 years in an anxious hell smashing things and crying) i had a doctor who pulled me off anything that touched my seratonin saying "you've tried everything, why don't we try nothing." and my mood swings got a lot better. the doctor before him dx'd me BP (he was the second doctor to do so, but the pdoc and tdoc before him, who i saw for years, did not think i was BP.) my current doctor thinks i just respond poorly to SSRIs and have depression and anxiety. (i'm on meds still, just not seratonin related ones.)

i have no idea whatsoever if this is the same thing you are going through.

anxiety can be a part of bipolar, a huge part. being anxious and depressed doesn't mean you aren't bipolar.

ultimatley the diagnosis matter less than finding a medication cocktail that works for you. i'm sorry they put you on lexapro. i hope that you get on a better combo soon.

penny

Archived