CrazyBoards.org

yo-yo dieting

Hiya-

I am one of those in the binge/starve myself group. I will go without eating for days, drop some weight, feel proud, then eat like crazy and gain it back.

How can I stop doing this? I know it is bad for me. I gain and lose significant amounts of weight at a time, along the lines of 30lbs or so. I know it is better to just stay at 135 and not drop to 115 or lower, but I just hate my supposedly fat body.

Any ideas to help me?

Hiya-

I am one of those in the binge/starve myself group. I will go without eating for days, drop some weight, feel proud, then eat like crazy and gain it back.

How can I stop doing this? I know it is bad for me. I gain and lose significant amounts of weight at a time, along the lines of 30lbs or so. I know it is better to just stay at 135 and not drop to 115 or lower, but I just hate my supposedly fat body.

Any ideas to help me?

Realize first.. major problem with body image.. then look for help in self esteem..

Old as I am (not that) you are destroying your health and mind..

Do you feel beautiful.. Do you look at yourself in mirrors

I want to know.. who make the fucking rules about beauty.. If I saw you I would probably say " she is lovely" Are you mainstream.. MY hub has been trying to coerce, nag, butcher, me into being a size 5 ..

Get lost.. I box,run and have a hourglasss ooh la la marylin monroe bod..babe.. I am fit and strong but no size 5. Get past it.. you will suffer, your body will suffer and your mind until you see the truth. Be what are supposed to be..

Steryotypes are for people with no vision.. Stop your cycle, see who you are, accept and love it..

Thank you Frosty. But it doesn't seem to help. I see myself as beautiful, and as soon as I realize those favorite pants are impossible to wear because i've been binging and not starving, i go into starvation again and make those pants fit. i know i need to stop this behavior, but it seems really hard, even for people with no eating disorder.

I'm not sure if I have an eating disorder. But i'd say it is an NOS of some variety.

loon

Loon I do the same thing and my pdoc said it's common in bipolar patients.

I wish I had the answer. lately I have been trying to eat well and force myself to at least have a supplement (shake) for a meal when I am in starve mode. Binge mode is harder to control. ;)

Don't ever starve yourself!! Makes your blood sugar levels drop, which causes moodswings. Plus, starving yourself does not help you lose weight. Learn to eat healthy, small meals throughout the day. Don't diet, diets are a fucked up, unnatural way of eating. When people go off them, they return to their original way of eating and the weight comes back. So learn to eat healthy.

Stop eating empty calories, soda, cookies, candy, crap like that. Every once in awhile it's okay, but generally stay away from that stuff.

No white bread or bleached flour or rice. Avoid heavily processed food, canned food, and stuff that's really salty or sugary.

Eat whole wheat bread. Lots of vegetables and fruit, whole grains, etc.

This is a link to Wholehealthmd.com - Learn to love healthy food, and love yourself.

NO DIETS! NO STARVING!

<3

Dee- this is very interesting information, that the binge/starve behavior is common in BP patients. At least I know I'm not alone, either in my BP disorder or in this weird behavior!

Diets are junk. Eating right is the answer. I try my best to eat right, but that often gets curtailed by having to eat what the food bank gives me, since I'm unemployed and living on charity at the moment. Living on charity sucks, especially for vegans (half of what they give me is a meat product and it goes right back to them!)). I donate clothes and give back food to make my own contributions.

another can of green beans, here i come! oh wait, this is a Starve day, so no green beans. maybe some so my blood sugar doesn't whack out and make me end up in the candy aisle!

I'm vegetarian and I feel for you. Veggie protein is way more expensive than meat.

You know what is cheap though? Dried kidney beans. I often make a huge pot of vegan chili and freeze small portions for later. It will last you at least a week and the ingredients don't cost much. It's also low fat and healthy. Besides peppers and onions, I throw in carrots, brocolli and a can of corn. I use diced tomatos for the sauce and tons of chili powder.

For variety, sometimes I throw some in a tortilla wrap and make it a burrito. It's yummy.

Hey dee-

you're always full of good ideas. i have kidney beans and chick peas, and corn at home, and could get an onion and peppers. i also have canned tomatoes. I never thought to do that. just throw in the chilli powder and presto- veggie protein!

• 1 month later...

hiya dee-

i've made that receipe and i like it.

i managed to be healthy while i wasn't working. it is easier then because it is the work pressure that makes me want to starve myself. for some reason, it makes the pressure seem to go away. i've said before that i think it is like an addiction, like cutting is for some people.

today i ate lunch (FRIES--ohhhh-- and veggie burger) and my coworkers looked at me like i was from mars and commented that i must be coming out of my eating disorder. they even think i have some disturbed eating issues. i've been there a whole week and already, and i haven't said a word to them except that i'm not hungry, they think i have some eating issues.

i know in my last workplace they all thought i starved myself all the time (and i did) because i dropped to 115 from 135 in less than around 2 months and my small clothes were falling off, and diet coke was the special of the day.

i'm 5'4 and around 125lbs, and a curvy person but on the thin side of normal.

i stay a normal weight because i don't always starve myself. sometimes i eat tons of food i love. i love middle eastern food and indian and italian and mexican. i love all this ethnic food. i'll go out to eat every night if i have the money (and blow money like crazy like a BP person).

i'll gain a bit of weight, back off, and eat nothing then for periods of time, like weeks.

anyone-

i don't know if this is some kind of eating disorder or just weird behavior. any ideas anyone? i should talk to my pnurse about the possibility that we need to watch this and perhaps it is an eating disorder NOS.

Archived