CrazyBoards.org

I am starting a new job in less than a month and I am pretty darn depressed. I am taking 300mg. of Lamictal, 250-300 mg. of Seroquel, 150 mg. of Wellbutrin SL, 1.5mg. of Klonopin, Ultracet-prn. my pdoc is on vacation for the month of July. Not only I am really depressed, but I can't seem to get anything done and I am feeling ragey and agitated and irritable. I'm wondering how I'm going to function at worl (teacher-3rd school in 3 yrs.- fired from last 2 jobs). It seems like I may be having a bad reaction to Wellbutrin. That is a semi-recent addition for depression, quitting smoking , and weight loss. The only thing I'm losing is my mind!! I can't talk to my tdoc because for some reason, I just can't talk to her about anything other than casual chatting.

Lately, I've been feeling like I am jumping out of my skin(right now). I just screamed at my son because he was driving me crazy w/ his excessive and very loud obnoxious noises. I should have mentioned I'm BP2. Help, anyone? mel1

Guest Guest

Hi,

I'm a teacher and I'm depressed, and when I am having bad days I do a couple of little things that help me to get through the day. I know we are completely different, but I thought I might let you know so that at least you have something to think about.

Firstly, I break the day down into little chunks, and I only concentrate on the chunk I am dealing with. I teach High School so usually, a lesson is a chunk. It helps to deal with kids and feelings and such if I think, "Only forty minutes to go". Of a morning, when I know I have trouble getting started, I set my alarm really early and plan to do something before school - like go for a walk, or yoga, or watch cartoons and eat chocolate - something that will kick in some pleasure chemicals. Most days I don't achieve this goal, but if I do - it really adds a positive buzz.

If a student enrages me I turn away from them. I try to distance myself as much as I can to stop myself from flying off the handle. I generally, try to smile - even though it looks forced and dopey - because eventually it helps to feel better.

I also have a work at school rule. I stay late every evening so that I don't have to take work home with me. That way, home is a safe place and I can have some distance there to allow myself to feel better and not be so riled up. .

I know, these things sound really hard to implement - and they are, but I have had some success with them.

Good luck in your new job. I hope it works out for you.

Bernard

Hi Mel,

congrats on the new job!

I get the same way. Depressed and energized, feel like jumping out of your skin; sounds like a mixed state.

Give your pdoc a call asap, you may need a temporary med tweak.

hope you feel better soon,

a.m.

AM-My pdoc is on vacation until Aug. He told me it "anything came up" that his partner would take my call. I doubt if his partner will do any med. changes. Should I just call anyway?

Bernard, thanks for the info. I will give it a try. I'm really nervous about starting at a new school, but it is with a much less difficult population. And I'll be teaching math and science, which is new for me. and I love math! The last school I was at the kids were about as rough as they get (At least in Fla.) What do you teach?mel1

Yes call the partner. If this were for a routine appointment, yeah he probably wouldn't change meds.

But this isn't a routine episode. If he is a competent doc he will listen to you and carefully consider all factors.

Besides, your pdoc told you to call if you need help!!!!!

a.m.

How recent is the Welbutrin? I find the irritation goes down in a few weeks. It came back up when raising the dose, then faded again, tho I still think I'm more irritable than I was.

I'm going to second Tom's advice. I'm not a smoker, but my mom is and we're close...I know that for her, attempts at quitting smoking are a huge stressor. Seems to me, piling that on top of all the rest of the stress right now is a Bad Idea. Note the capital letters. ;)

As for the mixed symptoms, yes, call the doc on duty. Starting a new position is reason enough to consider med tweaking. Nice of a pdoc to vacation for a whole month! Jeez! I thought I had it bad when my pdoc took off for Tahiti for a week in the middle of summer. Hey, lady, it's prime mania season here! Hello?

Anyway, hope you don't let the anticipation of the job get you too stressed...it hasn't gotten here yet...for now, just be good to yourself, do relaxing stuff, stay in vacation mode, you're not at work yet. :)

Congrats on the job,

~Cat

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks Cat! I am happy about getting a job. I was worried that I wouldn't get one. And it's not like I haveen't done this before. I'm always nervous before school starts, but I think alot of teachers are.

I haven't even tried to quit smoking because i DON'T want to, dammit! Right now, my hands are shaking so bad I can barely type.

I've been on the 150 Sl Well. for almost 2 months. It's not helping my depression. Maybe it is responsible for my mania. I don't get the "fun-wheeeeee" mania. I get the ragey cagey wanting to punch the walls or bang my head on the wall dyshoric. I am so irritable that I've been having troulble dealing w/ my kids. It must be the wellbutrin. I guess I will give the sub pdoc a call. Thanks again, mel1

My pdoc's partner FINALLY called me back. She told me to take extra Klonopin and go back to 100 mg. of Wellbutrin SL. I guess that is the safe way of telling me to wait for my pdoc to come back.

I don't like her.

I think I'm about to embark on a period of depression from reducing my AD and increasing the oh-so-depression-enhancing Klonopin.

Great. I don't think she cared a bit about my depression. She was just playing it safe-CYA and all.

I have this stupid online class that I have not been working on because I can't focus on it. My one submission got not approved and I have to re-do it. Thanks alot Moderator 14. Bitch.

I am now officially grumpy.

mel ;)

Hi mel

Sorry to hear you're so disappointed with the fill-in doc's advice. Sounds like maybe she wanted to calm you down because of the ragey stuff and the irritibility. Those can be danger signs for any BP, I guess, even when in a depressive spot because of the mixed state concerns. I'm guessing, of course...no doctor here. Anyway, bummer bummer bummer.

Is there anything you like to do that is stress reducing? Yoga? Swimming? Any friends that you like to hang with? A beach nearby? I don't know...maybe I'm really reaching. Just seems like if meds aren't going to do it right now, you've got to be a little resourceful. Which sucks because this is really pdoc's job. Where the heck did this doc GO for a whole month anyway!

Is the online course a priority? Can you, like, take an incomplete for now or something like that and come back to it later?

Thinking of ya,

~Cat

Guest Guest

If you've been on the WB at 150mg for two months, I'm guessing that it's not going to be less irritating any time soon. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I see you mention ADHD in your signature, though you don't give it as a confirmed diagnosis. When I was taking Focalin, I actually became emotionally flat. The other day I tried a bit of it to take the edge off Adderall, and it seemed to work. Since Focalin is just an isomer of Ritalin, maybe you'd find more self control with Ritalin. Assuming you could sell pdoc on it. Doesn't take long to see if it helps, tho if it doesn't you might have a few unpleasant hours. Of course, I don't know how that plays with bipolar.

Not sure what else to suggest that hasn't been already. Hope you find a way to deal better. Let me know what it is. I'm not exactly calm all the time myself.

I'm not ADD according to the massive amount of psychoneurological testing I went through, which was to mainly find out if I was ADHD/ADD or was my inability to focus and get things done related to manifestations of My BP.

CAt- this stupid online class sucks because I have no interest in it since my first submission was denied by Moderator 14. First of all, I take veerrrryy badly any sort of criticism. Also, I don't like the fact that my Moderator doesnt' have a name. For some reason, I find this very disturbing. I dont' know - I've had since April to work on this class-6 wks left til deadline. Don't know what would happen if I dropped out or said "screw this". The county paid 600$ for me to take this class, so someone might get PO'd. mel

Hi Mel

Well, maybe just turn in what ya got and then let the chips fall where they fall...say you did what you could do. I mean, I often have to say that. We all do. Otherwise, the stress gets too high and we risk our mental stability and that is just not worth it. It's 600 bucks. Your mental health is worth more than 600 bucks, honey. ;)

Hope today went a little smoother. And hope the kiddies aren't getting you down. I know how young ones can be. Mine are big now, but I remember those days well...

I actually admire you for going on to this new teaching job when you're feeling the way you're feeling. I'm just not able to work full-time right now. I'm planning on going back to work on my dissertation this fall and that will be enough for me, I think. Teaching? Wow. You are one tough mama.

Take care,

~Cat

Thanks again Cat! Teaching can be rough, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I mean, where else can you work 180 days per year and get paid for a good paying full-time job. Summers off. Oh- and mostly I like teaching and enjoy working w/ kids. I think when I am working, I don't have time for any meltdowns....well except when I flipped out at work 2 years ago, took the last 4-5 weeks off on medical leave, and got fired because I have too many issues. That was before I got mostly stable. Last year was hell, and I made it through the whole year w/out going bananas. My pdoc seemed really surprised I made it through the whole year. I'm thinking of asking about getting off wellbutrin(well, I am already doing it, because the second my pdoc hears about any problems w/ it He will yank it off my coctail faster than you can say "Don't sue me!"

Oh, and adding a little topomax. hmmmm......mel

i didn't read the whole thread, so i may be touching on something already covered here, but i recently got off cymbalta (as of . . . yesterday) cause it was starting to turn me into an irritable monster. and making my anxiety spike like during the worst of my panic attacks. it was improving some aspects of my depression, but overall it was just turning into a horrible experience. i didn't give it the 8 weeks or whatever to really judge if it would be effective, but i think i've found out for the third time that i can't hit my norepinephrine receptors without some serious consequences.

of course depression itself can make me angry adn irritable, but not anything like i was starting to experience on cymbalta. it was like i couldn't even control it, i didn't want to be this person or say the things i was saying, but i was gonna do it anyway. so the wellbutrin might be an issue for you. i need to read your whole thread but you shouldn't have to accept uncontrollable irritability as a price for the need to feel not depressed. i saw my pdoc yesterday, and we shuffled the cards around again and i'm gonna try paxil. he also gave me a script for xanax which i don't think i'll use. its hard to strike a balance between 'wet blanket' serotonin meds, and meds to make you actually feel good and might bring you up - like wellbutrin, or anything that hits NE or dopamine.

also, i've found it hard to talk to tdocs about stuff that makes me angry too. its like they're so conditioned to be pleasant, and make you see the happy side of things, that they're the wrong people to help you work out your frustrations. its like they simply just don't want to hear the angry stuff. of course i'm a relative greenhorn when it comes to therapy experiences, and i'm pretty well above average when it comes to anger, but it still seems like if you've got these irritability issues frmo the med, and are unable to diffuse them by yourself or with the help of a pdoc, then maybe you need to move on to a different med? just a speculation based on my recent experience.

good luck getting things together before teaching time.

Scream-off topic, but I just wanted to warn you about xanax-it is evil. There are other benzos that aren't so physcially addiction-klonlpin, valium, xanax wears off in 3-4 hours leaving you in a big moody mess. The others have longer half lifes and IMHO work just as well. I was only on xanax for a couple of weeks and I went from taking .25 prn to .25 8 times a day because I built up a tolerance way fast. I switched to klonopin and it works great-has a really long half life and it doesn't have any negative effects. mel

I went from 150 SL to 100 and in just 2 days, I woke up and my depression was GONE! I wasn't irritable or anxious. I've been taking a little extra in the benzo dept. I feel like a "normal" person and I feel like i am alive again for the first time in a long time. I don't know how this happened or how long it will last, but I will savor it like a piece of yummy chocolate. mel

Archived