CrazyBoards.org

Tips for facing the day

Hey WJ,

If at all possible, get yourself out of the house and keep as INCREDIBLY BUSY as you can. I live in Japan and go to the US for work. If I don't do it right, I sleep through the whole fookin business trip. But! If I get there and just go-go-go, I can keep awake and alert.

Good luck!

lily

Don't over caffinate yourself - stimulants will just make things worse in the long run.

Take a cold shower.

Make sure you eat protien based meals and stay away from carbs.

Get some exercise.

Stay in brightly lit areas and away from dark rooms.

Get some fresh air.

Drink lots and lots of water (theory being if you have to pee all the time you won't fall asleep)

Don't do anything too mentally strenuous (like driving or using large machinery or your taxes)

Get out of your jammies and into some clean clothes

Ooh, Halogirl, good point about the jammies! YES YES YES.

And make your bed, so as to avoid the siren call of rumpled sheets and comfy pillows. Open the curtains/shades/blinds/towels or whatever keeps the light out of your room, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm stuck awake. It's 4:45AM. I go to sleep now and I wake up at 3 in the noon. I cannot keep sleeping my days away so I ask you: Do you have any tips for staying awake all day today?

Get outside about the time you eventually hope to be getting up on a regular basis, assuming the sun is up by then. Get some bright sun in your eyes for a few minutes. This will help reset your internal clock. If you REALLY HAVE to go to bed after that, so be it.

I wish I could sleep until 3 in the noon. I wake up at 7, sleep off and on until 8, and then don't get to sleep until 2AM. Tonight I tried to go to bed at 1AM and it didn't take. So tomorrow may be another stupid tired day. I can't afford them.

Good luck with your own sleep dilemma.

when do you want to wake up and start your fresh and lovely day? say you want to wake up at 10. you've still got a few hours. you can *attempt* to sleep. you know that routine.

all these suggestions are good so far. they're all what i do to beat jet lag. when i go to australia to see my family, i have some serious sleep issues generally for about a week. i don't want to waste my time when i've flown around the world to see them, so i need to be alert (kinda).

i allow myself a nap. this may be totally against what others think will be a good idea. i'd say experiment with it. no more than an hour.

take a shower, i don't worry about the temp. but it can be cold, to wake up and try a nice bath to go to sleep

we're supposed to have like 60% carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein in our diets naturally (according to my gym teacher from 10th grade), so i try to have my meals reflect that. my breakfast is some cereal and soy meats and fruit.

yes, busy. clean if you have to. cleaning is busy. singing, music, going outside, fresh air

interesting people. for me this goes along with being busy. i won't fall asleep if i'm catching up with my family. i don't know if it will work for general insomnia.

usually if i've had a night of insomnia and i have to work in the am, i take some no doz and fight it through. i'll take my shower in the am, eat my breakfast, put on my makeup (IMPORTANT for me), and go through my work day. my work is busy so that takes care of that. the only worry i have is driving in traffic. i have ADD anyway and driving on no sleep is kinda a bad idea. i've called people to pick me up before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd try to get into bed an hour earlier (never mind you sleep or not) and get up an hour earlier (no matter how tired you are) until you have reset your clock to a more suitable sleep shift. The others have made great suggestions. I find putting my shoes on helps me not get back into bed, cos I hate getting into bed with shoes on (okay that sounds wacky but it works for me.)

Good luck with the sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived