CrazyBoards.org

Me on the news

Its a horendous picture, I was also on the tv show 'This Morning' which is similar to the usa show 'Good Morning America' and had a article in the paper (if people want i can type up the article, or scan it!)

It seems like a totaly different 'me' who exposed her life to all of those media's, that 'me' had confidence, and was brave.  Whereas at the moment, I am so weak and vulnrable, and incredibly volitile in my moods......

Sigh

x

Lea -

It's great what you did. I'm currently in the process of trying to get the word out about MI as a whole and share my story. I think it's very important that we the sufferers allow people to understand from our point of view what is going on. *Pat on the back* for you, you're reached out to the public and I'm sure your story will affect many people. If it helps even one person to come forward about their SI and maybe seek help than your work is done.

Take care,

Echo

If it helps even one person to come forward about their SI and maybe seek help than your work is done.

That was my reason for wanting to do it, as I thought if by me doing it just one person feeling less isolated and alone then I would of achieved something.......

;)

thanks for the feedback its much aprichated

x

That's awesome.

Oh, and PS. Your picture looked great! No worries.

Echo

Oh, and one more question. How did you approach the media and recieve the attention neccesary to get your story out there? I'd love some advice.

Erm I was in a better state than what I am atm, and took the bull by the horns and contacted the local jewish paper (the Jewish telegraph) [because I am Jewish and sick of the paper never reporting on issues which affect real people]  I explained taht I am someone who struggles with self injury and I would like to raise awareness about it, and they took some info and then sent someone round.

Im quite lucky also 'cos I live in a city with a major news reporting area (bbc yorkshire) and I phoned the local news desk and explained about my story and self injury and asked if they would like to do something [i was quite lucky cos I timed it by fluke cos it was international self injury awareness day on march 1st, I contacted them about a week before,]

For the radio breakfast show piece I did, which was a short 5 minute piece on the breakfast newsshow, i know a few of the journalists from when I was younger and used to take part in sport quiz' so I emailed them and asked them if they would like to interview me.........

for the main tv thing, the This Morning piece i emailed them and gave them a brief insight into me and why I thought that they may be interested in covering it as a feature, and they said ok!!!  I was interviewed on This Morning by Gloria Hunniford and the singer Michael Ball (who is very lovely and gives nice hugs!!)  That experience I could write pages on if people want to know..

My best tip would probably be, if you believe that you have it in you to make the difference for someone else, then take the bull by the horns and just go for it, plan out what you are going to say by email or on the phone and do it... believe in yourself and you will achieve it.......

lots of luck and keep me posted how you get on

Lea

xxx

Wow! You're a very motivated lady! Me too. lol.

Thanks so much for the tips. I think I will do that. The only thing that is stopping me right now is that I am scared to do it because I don't want my boss, or my parents, etc. to see me! They don't know, and they shouldn't know, ever. Maybe if I take the angle that they can do the interview but not use my real name and maybe have dim lights? LOL. Then I can explain WHY I am asking them to take those precautions - Because we (the people with MI) are often made to feel as though we have to hide our illnesses from people we know? Ah, just an idea. On second thought though, maybe I just shouldn't give a sh*t? Meh. But again, thanks for the tips. I'm so glad you did what you did. You're very courageous. (did I spell that wrong? ;) ) I'll keep you updated on my antics.

I hope you feel better soon Lea. I know how hard it can be when you get lost in the depressions and the anxieties and it seems like there is no light at the end.

Take care of yourself.

Echo

• 2 weeks later...

Archived