CrazyBoards.org

NOT a big fan of cognitive behavior stuff--always reminds me of the"just stop acting so sad and you won't FEEL so sad" which for me is total bulshit--

But I am such a geek I'll sign up just to see--

doubting china

I signed up and don't really like it. My issue isn't so much negative thoughts as it is swinging emotions. The dark thoughts happen when I'm in a depressed or mixed mood. Right now I'm fine, so there is no point. When I'm depressed or mixed, there's no fucking way I'd have the inspiration or patience to do moodgym. so i'm going to vote that it is worthless, at least to me.

I signed up. It sounds intriguing and its not going to hurt to try. My psych. eval. specifically states that I have a negative and pessimistic outlook of the world and I internalize things, so that may help. My tdoc wants to try CBT on me. I started the questionaire, but it reminded me of the stupid, evil online course that I haven't been able to work on. mel

Loon: I'm exactly the same. It's my moods that cause the thoughts. I've been told that changing the thoughts can still influence the moods even then, and I believe that's true for some people but it doesn't appear to be true for me.

My experience with CBT has been that the more specific you can get with what you want to work on the more likely it is to help. A specific phobia or behavior or trigger or something like that it can help with. I got some social phobia help from it. I can now tolerate official social functions while sober because of of CBT. I still hate them but can stand it.

OK, I tried it--if I was 15 years old and stupid it would be really groovy. Just as I thought, its one of those "If you just act happy, you'll BE happy" and thats BS.

I was all over the chart--I think its way too simplistic and I don't agree with the basic premis, which I actually find kind of insulting.

So there--china

I agree with everyone who says it's the moods that causes those kinds of thoughts -- I don't mean it's that way for everybody, but it sure is for me. CBT has been proven to be an effective treatment for mild to moderate depression in a zillion studies, but I have no idea why it works for lots of people. (Admittedly, I've got a lot more experience with "severe" depression than "mild" or "moderate.") I mean, geez, it's just common sense. Obviously having these negative thoughts are bad for you, and obviously some of them are highly unrealistic. Duh. And I understand this the vast majority of the time. Most of the time, I'm able to think positively, and if not positively, then at least rationally. (Although in the past, I wouldn't have been able to say "most of the time" about this, because I had fewer, shorter stable periods.) Usually, this all makes sense to me. But when I'm depressed, it doesn't make sense anymore. When I'm depressed, I have the negative thoughts because then they seem correct to me, and I can't change them because I absolutely cannot see how they could possibly be inaccurate or why changing the thoughts could possibly make any difference. I have these negative thoughts because MY BRAIN IS BROKEN. They go away when my brain is working better, which is caused by medication, just waiting it out for months, or both. If my brain was functioning well enough that CBT could have any effect upon me, I would not be having these negative thoughts in the first place.

In therapy, and by my family and friends, I am constantly being told that I can't possibly be trying hard enough because I am not changing those negative thoughts. (I don't mean right now, since I don't have negative thoughts right now; I mean when I'm depressed.) Which makes me feel even worse. Because nobody understands, and it is exactly like they are telling me that it is my fault I am depressed, that I'd get better if I simply worked harder at it and I'm just not bothering to try.

Nevertheless, I signed up for MoodGym today, and at the moment it is utterly pointless for me, since I am hypomanic. Currently, I can barely understand why somebody might ever have a negative thought and I can't relate to any of it at all.

Well, I dinked around with it today. I managed to make it through the first module--"Feelings".

I found it way too simplistic and had the same beef others have presented. I'm a pretty much well-adjusted person who swings into depression because my brain is broken. I don't spend alot of time on negative thinking, even when I am depressed, if that makes any sense. When depressed, I'm just unable to cope with the world. It's a whole different thing than negative thoughts.

i'm just starting out with a new pdoc who has used CBT since the late seventies.

crud.

he made me buy this 'feeling good' book by david burns. i made it about 3 chapters in and found myself getting more and more disappointed. my concern was that if i need to release anger so bad i almost bash my finger off with a hammer, i'm probably not going to be able to act happy enough to make myself happy.

so i can't bring myself to do that online thing. it would just depress the fuck out of me.

maybe the new doc will have good drugs.

grouse.

They're techniques that help a lot of people, but I personally very much dislike Burns' book. He WAY oversells everything, and it's so peppy and cheerful. And then he has this huge part at the back of the book where he goes into why antidepressants suck and you basically shouldn't take them (oddly, never mentioning SSRIs, even though they were widely in use at the time the newer version of the book was published).

I wonder if there are studies on what populations CBT *doesn't* help, or helps less. Maybe I will look it up later.

I wonder if there are studies on what populations CBT *doesn't* help, or helps less. Maybe I will look it up later.

It's been my impression that's it's better for anxiety than anything mood related since anxiety often has a target and mood doesn't.

I've never read the Burns book though. Never could work up the stomach for it.

today i feel depressed because my house looks like i'm the old cat lady down the street (you can't get to my bed due to a clothing surplus on the floor) and my landlord+ building inspector showed up unannounced today. EEEKKK!

but back on topic and away from ADD rambling.

the moodgym would not be helpful in this situation.

how do you feel about unexpected visitations?

heavily like, dislike, have no opinion, like, really like

grrrr

Heya grousemouse,

Yeah.

I have the Feeling Good Book and Handbook.

Don't you just sometimes want to punch Dr. Burns in the head???

(metaphorically of course)

Otherwise.

CBT I think might be helping with my GAD, but not without meds and psychiatry, I think.

--ncc--

Archived