CrazyBoards.org

i have been refusing for the last two months to take my anti depressants and anti-psychotics because i put on SO much weight and the excess weight was killing my self esteem and i wanted to commit suicide because i was so fat and ugly, this desire far out weighed any benefits i was recieving from the meds.

only problem is with out these meds i am very unstable and my mood stabliser cant hold it on its own. so i went to a trusted p-doc who i knew would understand this weight issue and he has given me seroquel to take, i read the PI sheet and info on here about weight gain. but i am only taking 1/4 of a tablet, sorry not sure how much that is is in mg.

will this small amount cause weight gain? i am starting to worry. but i really need and anti-psychotic, but like i said i become VERY suicidal when i gain weight. the doc seemed pretty certain he could work with me to get the weight off.

If it is a quarter of a 25 mg tablet I can't imagine it doing anything at all, nevermind weight gain. If it's a quarter of 100 mg tablet, then it is a tiny dose prescribed for anxiety or as a sleep aid, which may give you the muchies after you take it. If you can resist hitting the fridge, or go straight to bed you should not have a problem on such a wee dose at all.

Don't worry.

You should know how exactly much of any med you're taking at any given time. Ignorance can lead to all sorts of trouble.

By the way, I'm on 300mg of Seroquel and I'm not anything like fat. I eat healthy food and exercise moderately. Uh, that is, when I'm not glued to the internet...

Yeah, 1/4 of what mg tablet?

I've been taking 200 mg for a while...just went down to 100 mg abt a week ago...but I also take Topamax...

My weight went up somewhat on 300 mg and then WAY up on 600-700 mg when I was manic, came down on Topamax and is now stabilized. I totally understand the freaking out with the weight gain. I know some people are not so nice about that...they're like, hey, stability is more important than the weight...but for some people, weight is part of the stability picture...I get that...

The others are right...with Seroquel, you really gotta watch the carbs, especially white flour and sugar.

Some say Risperdal and Abilify are better when it comes to weight. If you have sleep issues, though, Seroquel can be a really good drug. Has been for me, anyway. Abilify...I've heard some people complain of it being activating...my dad went loco on it...just one person, I know...

I totally hear you about needing the AP. I get weird without the Seroquel in my mix. Lower dose, though, probably is fine. Just don't eat the white flour and cut out the sugar. Go Splenda! Rah!

~Cat

ok, so i had my first dose last night and before i took it i looked at the lable it is a 200mg tablet and i take a quater so it is a 50mg dose.

My major reason for worrying about the weight gain is that at the moment i am very restricted as to the amount of exercise i can do due to a fractured tailbone. Hopefully next week i will be back at the gym, and i do eat a fairly balanced healthy diet, but from your advice i think i will just be extra careful watching how much rice and pasta i have in a week (im not a big bread eater luckly) and cutting out the sugar would be good for me anyway.

With sugar, can it be replaced with splenda or equal or some of those other sugar alternatives, i have kinda heard they are bad for you as well, which is the lesser evil???

Thanks for your understanding cheshire i know many people say sane and fat is better, but i am really aiming for sane and healthy weight range, whats the point in taking all these meds to make me sane if i end up getting some illness from being overweight or obese! Plus i have a self destruct button i seem to push when i get too overweight no matter how medded up i am.

The doc just wanted me on seq cause i am very anxious, and it is taking a toll on me physically i itch my skin all the time when nervous, and constantly have the flu and colds i also have EXTREMELY negative thoughts that he believes the seq even at a low level will help ease and just allow me to focus my thoughts and relax a little.

i was really hoping i could do this with just a mood stabiliser, im very determined to put all my energy into having a good life despite this illness, but i think i will follow the docs advice and hope i dont gain to much.

he did say to me he is committed to working with me to get this med weight off, one of the first docs i have met who has actually agreed that sometimes even healthy eating and exercise arent enough to stop u gaining med weight. im so sick of hearing if u ate less and went to the gym more u would be ok, when i eat less then 1500cals a day and exercise 45mins a day!

anyways if u have any more advice on seq please pass it on too me, and let me know if u know anything about splenda! oh and is honey classed as white carbs (sorry im not up to date on this)

There's a recent thread on artificial sweeteners here. Overall, the conclusions drawn seem to be that different people react to artificial sweeteners differently, and that a sweetener which causes problems for you might be just fine for somebody else. Aspartame is more commonly thought unhealthy than other artificial sweeteners, but although a Google search will give you lots of results telling you how dangerous and evil it is, the evidence is hotly contested.

As for honey, it is basically pure sugar, but it has health benefits not found in refined products, especially if you are consuming fresh local honey. I recall proponents saying that it helps strengthen your immune system and I know from experience that a few spoonfuls a day of honey from local bees can completely wipe out seasonal allergies to pollen and such, painlessly replacing allergy shots. On a more personal level, I have MASSIVE issues with binging, but when I cut out refined sugars as much as possible, I find honey to be the only "safe" sweetener to use without triggering massive binges on refined sugar products.

50mg is half of what I take, and I'm currently losing weight. I hope you'll be able to hold your weight steady through the especially sucky, immobilized part of recovering from your fracture.

I had to quit seroquel due to gaining over 100 pounds on it. Unfortunately it miracle drug for me. I'm back on it. Cut back to 50mgs and combined with Topomax it seems to be weight neutral.

Your chances of not gaining are likely a lot better at 200mgs or less than at the doses at which it's used as a primary mood stabilizer.

I just have to chime in here and say that Splenda has been a real godsend for me...it tastes good...like sugar, as far as I'm concerned. I buy a boxful of packets and sprinkle it on cereal and in my coffee and on berries. I buy Splenda sweetened ice cream. And I bake with it, actually. You can buy a bag of it at the grocery store and bake with it just like sugar. I don't recommend baking cookies with it, but it's good in stuff like pancakes and brownies and muffins and stuff...we use whole wheat flour.

No Nutrasweet at our house. Sodas with Splenda are Diet 7up and the Hansen Diet sodas and some of the fruit flavored sparkling waters...those are really good.

Anyway, like VE, my doc let me put Topamax into the mix with Seroquel and it's been fine. Now, Topamax for me also helped with rapid cycling and anxiety and impulsivity. I don't feel the urge to drink one bit, either.

Good luck!

~Cat

Splenda isn't so bad, it's derived from sugar. It's not like aspartame. I use it daily and have for years.

On 50 mg of Seroquel I had carb cravings after I took it if I didn't go right to bed. I think if you don't give in and go right to bed you should be fine.

well so far so good, but i have only had 2 doses and tomorrow is the weekend so i will see how i go over the weekend.

its being used in conjunction with epilim which is my mood stabliser which works very well, i just needed something a little bit more to take that edge off my borderline symptoms.

BTW i went shopping today and got some brown rice and pasta, so now i can have one serve of each a week and not feel so guilty. i love my pasta!

i will keep u all posted on how i travel with the seq. thanks heaps for all your replies and info, this place is so reassuring sometimes and VERY informative!

i've found that even with my AAP meds being changed a lot and being put on various doses, that i can't blame weight problems all or totally on my meds. i CAN blame the problems on what I eat, how i exercise, and what i eat.

Like LMNOP, i have a binging problem. i just want SWEETS. i LOVE the gourmet ice cream shop up the street. if i don't watch it, i'll eat there daily. i'm also lactose intolerant and vegan, so i defy my veganism and eat stuff i'm allergic to just to get the fix!

i'd cut out the empty calories, eat stuff wtih real substance, and consider weight watchers. WW helped me a lot with learning what to eat and helping with portion control. it really comes down to that.

Seroquel did not make me gain weight, i made me gain weight. I took 800mg/day of Seroquel and i was a zombie, but i ate chocolate and became fat! lol "fat" is 155 at 5'4. i'm naturally about 135 and when starving am 115. ED city. Don't go doing THAT to yourself, that is NOT what you need.

[seroquel is] being used in conjunction with epilim which is my mood stabliser which works very well, i just needed something a little bit more to take that edge off my borderline symptoms.
Your doc may have already told you this, but a s a heads up: Epilim seems to make people cheaper dates as far as Seroquel's concerned. According to this study: "Valproate comedication was associated with a 77% increase in quetiapine plasma levels." (On average, YMMV.)

Note that this also means a longer half-life which could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. More potential for the morning woozies, but less distinct peaks and troughs in your system.

Good luck,

cache-monkey

thanks for that article, im still trying to learn to read all those technical terms but it and your explanation kinda make sense to me. my doc did not out right mention this study to me, but he is very cautious in the introduction of this new med, and i am only trialling it for a week before my next appointment to see how its going.

i know the meds are not the only reason why people gain weight but for me IT was a MAJOR contributing factor and when my med levels were dropped and i stopped taking certain meds the weight fell off, enough proof for me and the docs that the weight was mainly due to levels of medication that were too high for my body.

like i said i still work out at the gym 6days a week (when i dont have a broken tailbone like i do at the moment), and have a calorie controlled diet (similar to weight watchers, but one from a dietian i worked with through the hospital) to try to stop extra weight gain. and as much as i love carbs i am making a real effort now to read those labels as well and keep them down. Sugar monitoring is not too hard for me as sugar ever since i became ill has made me very hyperactive, unable to sleep, and agigtated, so i already monitor it quite closely.

thanks 4 all your advice so far

Archived