CrazyBoards.org

More Fun with the Patriot Act!

Good to see it's being used to keep us safe from the REAL terrorists - teenaged bloggers!

Facebook, Myspace, etc. And Getting Hired (6/22/2006) - LSU link

Recent surveys indicate that nearly 100% of all adult terrorists were once teenagers. Many of them

are known to have had opinions on their friends, life, and how hard it is to get a date.

Good to see it's being used to keep us safe from the REAL terrorists - teenaged bloggers!

Facebook, Myspace, etc. And Getting Hired (6/22/2006) - LSU link

Recent surveys indicate that nearly 100% of all adult terrorists were once teenagers. Many of them

are known to have had opinions on their friends, life, and how hard it is to get a date.

totally un fucking believable.

As someone pointed out in /. coverage, a lot of times agencies will use other other intergovenmental channels to do stuff like that say it's the patriot act just because they think it makes them sound baddass. It's scary, regardless.

There are a couple bills floating around out there right now that would require me to ask for more information at registration and keep more records just for this thing.

This isn't a privacy issue. There is no privacy. You hang something out on the internet and it's public. I'll bet a cup of coffee that neither the Myspace nor Myface Eula's guarantee privacy or anonymity.

The similar to making a fool of yourself on your front lawn.

a.m.

A friend pointed out that they could also have found a google cache of the facebook stuff from when it was public.

I think it is reasonable to expect some level of privacy from companies that allow you to have friends-only information. I don't expect absolute privacy - that's why I don't put identifying information online, and if I had it I wouldn't put criminal activity or anything like that - but I do expect a reasonably certain chance that my friends-only lj entries won't be suddenly made public for all the world to see.

The social networking system I'm building for crazyboards is going to have different privacy levels for posts similar to lj and that is a big concern of mine. I'd like to find a way use encryption that isn't prohibitively complicated but I'm not having a lot of luck.

Archived