CrazyBoards.org

My psychiatrist doesn't believe me

On a report my disability lawyer gave me he says I have preoccupation with somatic symptoms, unrealistic interpretation of physical signs or sensations. I'm just telling him what's happening. Says my symptoms are usually treatable. Says I have a variety of interpretations of side effects and inefficiencies ? making it difficult for him to judge how to treat.

I feel like dirt. I'm not making this stuff up. I've always been extremely sensitive to side effects and he never really seemed to believe me. I'm not saying I'm completely objective of my situation, but I feel like he thinks I'm pulling his leg or something. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive in how I read the report.

He's not sure I'm even bipolar even though drugs have made me hypo and cycle and I can see less obvious cycles before drugs. But his drug suggestions have always been as if I'm bipolar. He also says there's something else that may be going on which is scary.

How do I present this to a new doctor? Do I tell them my previous doc didn't believe me? Do they usually look at the old docs records? How do I get them to believe me?

I don't think your doctor is saying that he doesn't believe you . My doctor took a long time (like over a year) to go beyond a tentative BP dx, and it took a full manic episode a few months ago to remove all doubt (though I don't recomend it).

When you see a new Pdoc, discuss your concerns over previous docs' dx (in general terms) and ask him whether he wants to see the written report. He may or may not, depending on whether he feels it might bias his own dx.

a.m.

If you've kept a journal, even if you can round up and piece together some of your postings here, you can present them to your new pdoc and show him/her what is going on. Insist that you are not making up anything, and ask them for their help. I think that showing them a history will help it sync in and make it more believeable to people who like to see trends (as pdocs do. they like lots of charts). if you've kept a moodtracker.com or other mood tracker, even better! sometimes i think our medical teams can't keep in touch with us emotionally- they get overwhelmed by us all. (my opinion).

loon

Archived