CrazyBoards.org

Hiya-

I remember a thread about this from awhile back, but I figured I'd do it again for new members.

When depressed, I let my house totally rot. It is terrible. I can't get to my bed due to the clothes on the floor, mostly from the winter that I need to organize, wash, and store. Summer clothes need to be washed and put away, but i just can't do it.

the floors, my goddess, the floors! i got up the ability to sweep the kitchen floor today. maybe i'll do the dishes. and oh yeah, drive to my mom's to pick up the food that someone donated to me (i'm jobless and living on charity at the moment).

my landlord wants his rent...my house is a wreck...kind of a reflection of my mind, huh?

loon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My house is only clean because my dh does most if not all -lately- of the housework. I feel guilty and think he must resent me. I just can't seem to get anything done. If he didn't do housework, my house would look like an F-5 hit it. Of course, it only stays clean for a few hours on a good day thanks to the little ones who seem to be taking after mommy in the housecleaning dept. mel

I think the state of my house definitely reflects my state of mind. Unfortunately, when I get severely depressed, the mess around me feeds the depression, and the depression makes it difficult if not impossible to put a dent in the mess, and on and on it goes...

I do most of the housecleaning in our household, but I cannot keep up with my messy spouse. There are only two seat that can be sat upon in the entire house. The rest are covered with piles of fabric. Did I mention that she is a quilter? Well, quilters make nutjobs like us look totally sane what with their stashes and fat quarters and hand-died sequences. AAAAArrrrggghhh!

Tommy

I think I'm just a slob in general, but when I'm depressed the house gets noticably far worse. It's weird though--even when I'm feeling better the house is far from immaculate. I just think you can't do it all and you have to pick what you are going to focus on in life. Apparently having a nice clean house just isn't that important to me.

I think the state of my house definitely reflects my state of mind. Unfortunately, when I get severely depressed, the mess around me feeds the depression, and the depression makes it difficult if not impossible to put a dent in the mess, and on and on it goes...

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

I used to have an imaculate house (and yard), too. It amazes me know that I had the time and energy to do it. I couldn't tell you the last time I cleaned the house like I used to. It's been years. The only reason it's remotely presentable is because I pay someone to do it once a month. I wish I could have her come every week... but I can't even afford the once a month.

Which reminds me.... shit... she's coming tomorrow. And I didn't do the clean up for the cleaning lady routine. Damn. And no... I don't really clean the house because she's coming... just try to move shit out of the way so she can actually get to the surfaces that need to be cleaned.

I actually hate it when she puts stuff away. I can never freakin' find it. I swear sometimes she does it to piss me off (though why the cleaning lady would want to piss me off is beyond me). But seriously... ski pants in the linen closet? What was she thinking?? I spent hours looking for them, accused my boyfriend of stealing them, and went darn near committable mad trying to find them before giving up and buying a new pair. Then... a good month or two later, I was looking for something in the linen closet and there they were - up on the top shelf. I know I didn't put them there! I've since asked her to please not put anything away. She only sometimes listens. Grrr.

Hiya-

I remember a thread about this from awhile back, but I figured I'd do it again for new members.

When depressed, I let my house totally rot. It is terrible. I can't get to my bed due to the clothes on the floor, mostly from the winter that I need to organize, wash, and store. Summer clothes need to be washed and put away, but i just can't do it.

the floors, my goddess, the floors! i got up the ability to sweep the kitchen floor today. maybe i'll do the dishes. and oh yeah, drive to my mom's to pick up the food that someone donated to me (i'm jobless and living on charity at the moment).

my landlord wants his rent...my house is a wreck...kind of a reflection of my mind, huh?

loon

And here I was, thinking I was the only person to get sloppy when depressed. All anyone has to do is look at me, then look at my house, to see how I'm feeling. If I'm depressed, as I am now, my house will be a wreck and so will I. I ALWAYS gain weight when I'm depressed, so people who know me always know how I'm feeling by just looking at me.

Hubby is usually a neat-nik, but when his depression hit, things got realllly bad aroud here.

I am a bit of a clutter-bug, so I know I make messes at times, but our main problem is Max. He can mess up a room in less than 2 seconds. Plus our bathroom are always a disaster. It is embarrassing. But when I clean then, and 2 seconds later, Max trashes them...well I get mad and go on strike.

I plan on getting a finger-print activated lock and putting it on one of the bathroom doors. Then it will be only mine...no more boy cooties!!! BWAAH HAA HAA!!!

Ditto, ditto, ditto!

ditto!

I am such a neat freak so it really hits hard when my home is cluttered. I prefer to not have people over often, but having a messy house, on top of severe depression, really stops me from letting anyone through my door. So then I don't see anyone, which feeds depression and so on.

Of course, it only stays clean for a few hours on a good day thanks to the little ones who seem to be taking after mommy in the housecleaning dept. mel

Same here. I would be pissed off, but I'm too tired from the meds to care anymore.

My landlord just sold the building I live in, and an inspector had to come to look it over for issues. Damn, I was so embarrased! Here I was, answering the door after making them wait (due to me finding a robe, since I was still in bed and sleeping naked), then let them in...

my living room, bathroom, and kitchen aren't so bad. but my room, as i said, i can't get to my bed! i've been sleeping on the futon in the living room because the bed is lost!

It was so embarassing. My landlord at least stayed in the living room. I'll never see the inspector again I hope, and at least he only found 2 safety violations (needing socket covers in my room and my failure to have a smoke detetector.) I "failed" to install a smoke detector because I always burn my food and the thing goes off!

He didn't like that much, and neither did the landlord. I don't know if he's going to come and expect that I've modified these issues, but I think I'll at least shove the clothes in the closet or under the bed so I can get to the bed! talk about having issues! i don't feel lazy, well ok, i feel lazy, but just depressed and i'm lucky to get out of bed. today i thought it was may when talking to my landlord! he must think I'm a REAL winner! too bad Melinda is unemployed and can't get jobs when she can't properly identify the month we are in! (i figured out it is july only because i remember the fireworks).

loon

When I'm depressed my apartment is a mess and should be condemned by the health department. When I'm manic, instead of compulsively cleaning, I tear apart my apartment and it should be condemned by the health department then as well. You can't win for losing.

I go through a phase of compulsive cleaning on my way down. One of the ways I recognize that I'm starting to feel bad is when I start cleaning -- and doing things like emptying the closet and redoing it. My pdoc used to say I had the cleanest closet in the city. Then I reached a 'down' point where cleaning was just no longer possible -- required too much motivation, too much energy. So my partner did more of the cleaning and some of it just didn't (and still doesn't) get done.

Oddly, even though I'm feeling pretty well these days, I haven't really gone back to the cleaning. My pdoc says it's because I feel in better control of the rest of my life so I don't need to control everything by constantly cleaning it. I don't know -- I liked not having any dust around the house and the carpet always freshly vaccuumed.

Fiona

This week I've been particularly disfunctional...I haven't even been able to leave my yard (doggies have to go potty) and most of the time, my keyboard. The house isn't too bad yet, I just came off of one of my manic cleaning binges. My living space completely mirrors my state of mind. This week I've managed to put the dishes in the dish washer and actually turn it on...WEEEEE!!!!!!

A lot of the time I'm either too scattered and easily overwhelmed to do any thing or I'll start this or that only to be distracted by something else, so nothing gets done, only started or I am just too tired and will-less to do anything.

on a less relevant note - the whole aversion-to-bathing-while-depressed i have solved by ... sorbolene cream! you lather up, (sitting down on the bathroom floor because you can't be bothered standing), with sorbolene, and then jump in the shower and rub it off. comes off lovely and clean and then you don't have to moisturise afterwards. less standing in shower going, grrr fuck can't be bothered cleaning oneself. more time to bask in the misery!

My landlord just sold the building I live in, and an inspector had to come to look it over for issues. Damn, I was so embarrased! Here I was, answering the door after making them wait (due to me finding a robe, since I was still in bed and sleeping naked), then let them in...

snip

I "failed" to install a smoke detector because I always burn my food and the thing goes off!

snip

loon

Around here, the landlord is supposed to supply these things. Also supposed to provide notice before barging in unless there's some kind of emergency (leaky pipe, etc.), which I think is supposed to prevent issues like yours. Don't know what the law is where you are.

Here, we have a smoke detector with a button which desensitizes it temporarily. I should remember to hit it more often, tho it also works just to turn on the exhaust fan before cooking.

Speaking of violations, a few months ago I took a nice deep bath in another apartment and discovered that the overflow drain goes right into the wall in the closet!

wifezilla wrote:

I plan on getting a finger-print activated lock and putting it on one of the bathroom doors. Then it will be only mine...no more boy cooties!!! BWAAH HAA HAA!!!

Don't come here, then. I need such a lock to keep out the girl cooties. Then I can keep some REAL cleaning stuff in there and use it. Housemates (female) seem to be disgusted by cleaning. They tossed the real brush with which I was scraping out the toilets every few days, and got this thing which uses disposable applicators. But now my spontaneous disgust has to last long enough to figure out where the things are and also figure out if it's disgusting enough to warrant use of another disposable. We have a fake kitchen mop, too. Fine if you use it every three hours but for a real cleaning job you need something that can pick up a lot of water and doesn't threaten to break when you try to scrub. I'm not sure if I do my share of house cleaning or not, but I leave the kitchen fairly clean, occasionally mop it up, do some of the lawn mowing, etc. But I really don't like to see things growing in the toilets. Not even a little bit. This isn't a gas station. On the other hand, my room looks like a bomb went off. Not a very dirty bomb....

On the aversion to bathing thing, I don't have insight but wonder if in July the idea of being cool is enough to cause swimming?

I'm a clutterbug by default.

Every time my mother calls, she repeats "make sure to stay uncluttered" over and over again, and I keep repeating "yes mother yes mother yes mother", etc. etc.

My place is still fairly cluttered, though one can at least tell that I'm reasonably settled and not still in the process of moving in. I keep things sanitary, as garden roaches are endemic here and have a creepy way of getting into my apartment any time I leave a door open for more than 5 seconds.

Although much of the clutter is due to my MI states, I can safely say that a vast majority of it is due to the neurological attacks I'd been having, which set me back about 3 months in the post-move cleanup process.

Of course, I was greatly displeased that a certain individual whom shall not be named at this point, once came into my apartment and suggested that the management fine me for keeping my living room so cluttered. Given the doctors thought at the time that I may have been dying, I wasn't exactly too happy with the remark. ;)

Archived