CrazyBoards.org

Study now "In Question"

Some of you may have read or heard that the Journal of the Am. Med. Assoc--probably the most respected journal in the US--has now issued a "retraction" for a study it published recently. The study basically said that women who are on AD's prior to pregnancy, and who are taken off those AD's when pregnant have relapses, recurring depression, etc. It appears the authors of the study had received "financial suport" from a pharmaceutical company that markets AD's-=-didn't say which. This does NOT automatically mean that this study is false--it just brings into question the ethics of the doctors and the pharm company that sponsored it. The results may be totally accurate--but the doctors who conducted the study and reported the results sort of "contaminated" the results by not disclosing they wwere being paid by the pharm. company.

NOW--if you have read any of our pinned studies above (Thanks be to Erika)--you kow that this whole subject is very up-for-grabs. SO--here is my usual statement, but I think it bears repeating. And please remember, I am an RN with OB experience, but NOT a doc.

If you are on any type of psychiatric medications, and you get pregnant, or are wanting tro get preg. you need to be sure that you find an OB doc who is willing to work with your pdoc. There ARE medications that can be taken safely, and my opinion is that if your OB wants you to stop all your p.meds. immedfiately, with no support, then you need to have a serious talk with him, and your pdoc.

These folks need to be a team for your care and your baby's/ They need to be well-read and knowledgeble about both OB and psychiatry. They shoud be able to work together, they should be listening to you, and you should feel confident that you can tell BOTH of them whats happening in your life.

You are usually considered at much higher risk for POst partum depression, and other depressions or psychoses, if you were diagnosed as depressed, bipolar, etc prior to pregnancy. Post partum depression is nasty stuff, no matter how many couches Tom Cruise jumps on.

Bottom line--when you read or hear something about a pharmaceutical study that you think afects you, you should be able to get info from both your OB and your pdoc. Again, PLEASE do no stop taking any medication prescribed for you, EVER, without consulting this team

Please feel free to PM me any timem and I will try my best to get answers for you--but remember that "team of doc" theory--its just like if you had diabetes and then got preg. Your team would be your OB doc and your endocrinologist, the doc who manages your diabetes. You certainly wouldn't stop takeing yor diabetic meds cold turkey, just cause you are pregnant. Psych. diseases are JUST THE SAME THING.

Be healthy--and have a good pregnancy and a happy baby--

love, china, your resident OB nursie-person

Some of you may have read or heard that the Journal of the Am. Med. Assoc--probably the most respected journal in the US--has now issued a "retraction" for a study it published recently. The study basically said that women who are on AD's prior to pregnancy, and who are taken off those AD's when pregnant have relapses, recurring depression, etc. It appears the authors of the study had received "financial suport" from a pharmaceutical company that markets AD's-=-didn't say which. This does NOT automatically mean that this study is false--it just brings into question the ethics of the doctors and the pharm company that sponsored it. The results may be totally accurate--but the doctors who conducted the study and reported the results sort of "contaminated" the results by not disclosing they wwere being paid by the pharm. company.[\quote]

Nice job of explaining the issues and giving appropriate caveats. I see issues like these being handled badly, and it's good to see a careful response.

Do you know what the retraction said? i.e. did it mention concern over the results, or did they just address funding issues?

I have not had a chance to dig around and find out which study was "discredited", so I don't know the med involved. The results published originally basically said that a woman on AD's before preg., who is taken off AD's, has a severe recuerrence of depression during and adfter pregnancy.

Now that sounds like plain ole logic to me--you're depressed, you take AD's you get better. You stop taking AD's, you get depressed again. The issue is that very VERY few studies are done on pregnant women, because of the risks involved. I mean, wqould you sign up to do a clinical trial on a med while you were pregnant?Especially if its a really new drug.

I wil try to get more info tomorrow--or maybe one of our research mavens will find it and can fill us in. I just wanted any Mentally interesting preggo's to know the basics---people drop into our site, and my basic song and dance bares repeating, occassionally, I think, especially when a story like this hits the news.

Happy mommy-ing--

china

Archived