CrazyBoards.org

I was in the doctor's office today and read the Nov. 2005 "National Geographic," which had a really cool article about three regions in the world who have lots of people living to be 100.

One is in Sardinia, one is in Japan, and one is here in 'murica.

If you're interested, here's the link to the article:

How to get old and stay healthy

What I found fascinating is that there's more than one answer. The Sardinians drink wine---the Japanese drink green tea---the Americans drink neither one. Their diets are all different. But the common threads are these:

1) diets high in vegetables, grains and beans, and low on meat and fat

2) high level of physical activity---EVERY DAY

3) continuous interaction with family/friends/neighbors

4) long-term relationships (marriages, children nearby, old friendships, etc)

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy this.

olga

I was in the doctor's office today and read the Nov. 2005 "National Geographic," which had a really cool article about three regions in the world who have lots of people living to be 100.

One is in Sardinia, one is in Japan, and one is here in 'murica.

If you're interested, here's the link to the article:

How to get old and stay healthy

What I found fascinating is that there's more than one answer. The Sardinians drink wine---the Japanese drink green tea---the Americans drink neither one. Their diets are all different. But the common threads are these:

1) diets high in vegetables, grains and beans, and low on meat and fat

2) high level of physical activity---EVERY DAY

3) continuous interaction with family/friends/neighbors

4) long-term relationships (marriages, children nearby, old friendships, etc)

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy this.

olga

Thank you lovely!!!

Wifezilla, I hear ya. My mother-in-law lived to be 100, and outlived most of her friends. She was very lonely the last 15 years or so.

I don't want to live that long, either. But if I live to my mid-80s, I want them to be healthy years, if that's possible.

olga

My great grandmother's life sucked after age 100, but I don't think it did before. Wore out 3 husbands, took daily walks that first century, etc. Usually pretty cheerful, too. However, she did live to see several of her kids die of, basically, old age. That must have hurt. She went to live in an Odd Fellows Home to be with her 3rd husband. Must have been a good place, as she was there for 30 years or so. My impression was she had lots of friends there.

If I could have reasonable health, a job, an s.o., and some friends, I'd want to stick around for a long time, I think. Currently missing the job part.

Well Ido, you know what is missing and that is good to know! Cause there are solutions!

Here's ideally how it goes for me: happy healthy happy healthy happy healthy etc...... dead!!!!

I'm practising focusing on quality of life as primary...used to fret quite too much about stuff I might do

that would shorten my life expectancy.

the things Olga listed from that article are things that are goals, some achieved, some could use tweaking. And that's great, cause instinctively I know what to do! I mean, I like all those things now. It makes for a happy life. that it extends life or no that's wrong, it is correlated with longer life, that is icing on the cake. For me those things seem like just good things to have, to be, anyhow...

Cool. Love, love, not too much meat, be active...love, love, love. Sounds good to me!

Luli who is happy loving people right now!

Dennis Leary on aging and smoking....

" Yeah, we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We tried. But you just fucking badger us, you know? You won't leave us alone! You got all your little speeches you're always giving to us. All these little facts that you dig out of a newspaper or pamphlet and you store that little nugget in your little fucking head, and we light up and you spew 'em out at us, don't ya? I love these little facts. "Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life." Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!? And I guarantee if I'm still alive, I'll be smoking then. I'll be in my wheelchair, with my adult diapers on and my twenty-five year old non- smoking born again christian son behind me. I'll be going, "Hey! Make sure you wipe this time. I was itching all week for Christ's sake! And get me some more wippets. I'm almost out, you fucking pussy! Come on!"

Because you're always telling us, "You know, ever cigarette takes six minutes off your life. If you quit now you can live an extra ten years. If you quit now, you can live an extra twenty years." Hey, I got two words for you, ok. Jim Fix. Remember Jim Fix? The big famous jogging guy? Jogged fifteen miles a day. Did a jogging book. Did a jogging video. Dropped out of a heart attack when? When he was fucking jogging, that's when! What do you wanna bet it was two smokers who found the body the next morning and went, "Hey! That's Jim Fix, isn't it?" "Wow, what a fucking tragedy. Come on, lets go buy some buds."

It's always the yogurt sprout eating mother fuckers who get run over buy a bus drive by a guy who smokes three and a half packs a day. "Sorry officer, I didn't see him. I was too busy smoking!"

WZ, what a riot!

Incidentally, Japan has a super long lifespan--but when quality of life is taken into consideration, that age drops considerably. All those 100-year-olds you see are living in hospitals, likely in diapers.

But I'm just splitting hairs. We had a set of twins here in Japan named Kin-san and Gin-san, who lived past 100. They were absolutely adorable. And very happy indeed!

lily

well, first, it is good that a group of crazy people wants to live past the hour, and is discussing the merits of life at the century mark! lol

now, is it a good thing to live that long? do i actually want to live that long? and should i harp on mom about smoking?

my grandmother lived to be 86, but she didn't remember the last 10 years and had to wear diapers, so that isn't so hot. my mom's parents are still with us, young in their mid-70s, and their worst health problems include fighting with each other (their 50th wedding anniversary is this week and my nana said she wouldn't marry poppy again! lol)...I really don't know that many really, really old people. But I'm not even 28 yet.

I'd say I don't want to be around if it involves dialysis, diapers, or other humiliations/severe pain. It just isn

t worth it. If I am here, I agree, I want to be happy and healthy. If it is happy and healthy at 100 then great, but if I can only make it to 80 in that state, then Tonight we'll merry merry be, tmorrow we'll be sober, let's get out the booze and have a good time!

loon

• 2 weeks later...

I think Dennis Leary needed to help take care of my grandmother the third time she got lung cancer. You don't lose the end, you lose the middle. She didn't lose much time, but I think it was a whole lot less fun.

I think most of the time that healthy stuff doesn't make you live much longer, just better.

However, I'm no shining example. Yes, I got plenty of exercise today, but I indulged my shameful McDonald's habit again.

GASP!!!

MacDonald's????????

ldo! ;)

I bet everyone here has a dirty little secret in the eating department. That secret stash of peeps left over from Easter. The quick drive-throughs, grabbing whatever vice you're hooked on at BK or Mickey Ds.

I like Jelly Belly Jelly Beans, and have been known to buy a pound and have half of them eaten before I get home. heh

olga

PS I think the healthy stuff DOES make you live longer. There was an obit in the paper yesterday for a prominent woman---diagnosed with lung cancer in June, died Aug. 4th. She was 40. That's just a damn shame.

i have family who are seventh day adventists (the american city in the article is loma linda, a city where the population is almost exclusivley made up of SDAs.)

they were all very proud of the article.

no red meat, (well, most SDAs eat no meat at all, maybe some fish,) little cheese, no booze and no cigarettes.

of course, you could ask what is life without bacon, booze and smokes.

but they're happy. and if you live in a community like loma linda where a lot of people life to 100, there are less issues of lonliness in old age.

go vegitarian! go olive oil!

hehe

• 6 months later...

Granny- died at 105. all those good things and bright, interested till the end. a role model for the family, take it or leave it.

Dad- 82. feeling great, no attention to diet, lost smoking 'bout 30 yrs. ago.

Mum- died at 50 from MS. misery and pain for the last 10 yrs of it.

Me- terrified of out-living my kids.

i want to die once my body starts to give out. i don't care what age that is. i'm more interested in quality than quantity :/

but if by some weird miracle i'm happy and healthy at 100... well there ya go.

the thing is though, no one in my generation is going to have ANYTHING when we get old. families don't take care of old people and i'll never have kids anyway, there's no retirement money, certainly none government sponsered and most companies fire you two days before you retire so they don't have to pay up... so what's a poor person supposed to do?

i'm grumbly because i have the stomach flu and i can't call in to work. i tried. i can't find anyone to cover for me, so i'm kind of stuck. and i'm hitting the feverish time... isn't that the most contagious???

grumble.

abi

edit: i called back and talked to someone else after manager 1 left and he didn't want me coming in sick so he said he'd take care of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am always told how very healthy I am physically. It is a fact, like it or not.

Those that did live "normal" lives, you know nothing tradgic, all lived into 90's in my family.

So, very likely I will be walking around like little Sophie from the "Golden Girls".

I look forward to it.

For I am praying each day Hope is coming, new found Strenght for my MI.

No more thinking of the past, but being present!

• 1 month later...

I've never understood the desire to live to a ripe old age, let alone live to 100...or forever. I have a friend who does want to live to 100 or longer. "Think of all the things you'll see!" is his reply when I ask "why?"

I'm going on 50 and I really can't imagine another 50 years of this.

• 1 month later...

My great grandma is actually turning 100 next week. She's really hard to talk to, though, because she never wears her hearing aids. She doesn't have any diseases, though. She did have a breast removed. As far as I know, she never drank, but she did have an abusive husband that died 30 years ago. She did always eat a lot of vegetables and she generally ate very healthy.

Who knows. I have heard of people that drank and drank and smoked and smoked and they lived forever.

I think we're all meant to go when we're meant to go and we really can't control it one way or another.

Archived