CrazyBoards.org

How do I get off these meds?

Can I start to taper off slowly? or do I need a doctors supervision? My husband insists that I am a zombie and get off the drugs and was much more fun to live with before. We have been married for 15 years and I am about 90% manic and only 10% depressed off the drugs. If I ask my doc he will just say no way. Does anyone have any suggestionns?

I take

300 mg Lamictal

40 mg Abilify

50 mg Wellbutrin

200 mg Topamax

60 mg Klonopin spread throughout the day

Reba, please talk to your doctor about the side effects you are having. He will probably pull you off the abilify as a precaution since you are having TD symptoms.

If the 90% manic and 10% depressed is liveable how did you end up on a 5 med cocktail? There much be a reason? I wouldn't taper off any of it without a doctor's supervision.

Maybe you could change your meds instead of quitting if this combination is making you a zombie.

Hi Reba.

Frankly it isn't appropriate for anyone here to make suggestions about changing your meds or how to stop taking them!

YOU NEED TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR! Only he can safely judge how to best adjust your meds to keep things under control without making you feel like a zombie.

It is sad to see that your husband has no realistic understanding of your illness and is thereby not supporting you in getting and staying well. You should work to help him understand things. The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide is a truly outstanding source that is easy to read.

If you think you may need to be in the hospital, See your doctor. I'm glad to see that you are willing to consider it, given how many times we have discussed, and how difficult it is for you.

Quit Meds? Believe me we all struggle with it (reference my internal argument lasts night at 8:30pm). But you know your manias and lows, and struggles with substance abuse. Were you any better off before taking meds? I doubt it.

Hang in there. Discuss the good points and dangers of no meds with your husband. Work with your doc to find a better cocktail.

Best,

a.m.

WHOOOOP WHOOOOOP WHOOOOOP WHOOOOOP! WARNING WARNING WARNING! ENTERING DANGEROUS TERRITORY!

Seriously, please don't do this by yourself. It is possibly the worst idea in the world. I know it is difficult when family members aren't supportive and don't understand, but hubby is not qualified to make this judgement. Do YOU think the side effects are unacceptable? Lowering some doses, or dropping some will most likely fix them. Tell your doc that the side effects are unacceptable and you need to switch. If he says no way, then look into getting a new doc. Maybe take your hubby to see your doc so he can get a better understanding??? I also believe that going off drugs once you have been on them for awhile, you don't just return to pre-drug state. You get worse.

DON'T go off meds by yourself!! I have done this and it seriously lead to my ruin! Bat-shit crazy, all hair cutting off, job quitting, relationship ending, drug abusing, inpatient entering, RUIN. No guarantee that it will happen to you, but why risk it???

My husband insists that I am a zombie and get off the drugs and was much more fun to live with before.

He was joking, right?

We have been married for 15 years and I am about 90% manic and only 10% depressed off the drugs. If I ask my doc he will just say no way. Does anyone have any suggestionns?
Yes. You should probably not give up medication all together. Mania and depression= brain rot. This would be bad. If you are really concerned about putting the Fun back in Functional, you want to not encourage and ideally not have anymore episodes.

That would be good.

However side effects which make you 'into a zombie' suck. It seems like your husband is suggesting you can Be A Zombie or Be off meds, which is pretty inaccurate. They are not the only two choices you have. You do not have to be screwed in the head or just plain screwed.

You need to make any changes to these meds under a doctor's supervision.

These changes need to be made slowly- at this point, if I miss Topamax by a few hours, I'm pretty sure it makes me a bit twitchy.

You and your doctor need to work together to make health decisions and this means you need to tell him about the side effects that you are having and tell him what is and isn't acceptable but be reasonable about it. Can't write your name because of tremors? UNREASONABLE, obviously. Wake up an hour earlier? Maybe that's an acceptable side effect.

Don't just do this on your own. You need to do it right with a Trained Professional or you could end up in pretty bad shape. Ask your doctor what to do about the side effects and simplify your cocktail if possible.

And what other people said, especially gwen with the "WHOOP WHOOP."

I take

300 mg Lamictal

40 mg Abilify

50 mg Wellbutrin

200 mg Topamax

60 mg Klonopin spread throughout the day

Also- Are these typos?

First of all There is a typo on the meds I take 450 mg of Wellbutrin. The rest is correct. Thank you for yor replies. I am going to try it anyway under a doctors supervision. My husband has arranged to be off work for 3 weeks in Aug to be with me. If I go crazy, I'll just go back on them or something else that works faster.

Unfortunately they don't have basements in her state. High water table.

a.m.

Some parts of the Baker-Act State do. Depends on elevation, depth to nearest water table or aquifer...

Most of the places where basements are practical they tend to accumulate radon.

I'm wondering why, knowing that your manias are an illness and not fun and lead to terrible consequences, why your husband would want you to be like that. does he miss crazy sex or something? i'm for locking him up in the psych ward for a few days to see some REAL zombies!

working with your pdoc is really important. write down the side effects YOU do not like, and see how modificaitons of your meds can help with your goals.

hubby is no pdoc. the closet is the place for him!

oops another typo on the meds only 6 mg konopin not 60 HA HA. I guess I could lock him in the closet but I am sort of interested in what it will feel like to be me again. I've been medicated so long now.

Wooo. Thanks for correcting that. There were a few people scratching their heads over that. If you were taking 60mg that WOULD make you a zombie.

a.m. ;)

Heya reba6545,

Well, if I was (as a patient) going to go off more than one medication, I would do it in the hospital.

Seriously. Talk to your doc about this option.

There are *major* withdrawals to each of these meds and who-the-hell-knows-what with so many at once.

As a doc, I would admit you to the hospital for med review/optimization.

This is not something to do yourself at home.

Please *reassess* this with your doc.

Safety trumps all.

--ncc--

Good, sound advice from the doc above.

I think your husband is nuts, frankly, if he thinks that you and he can handle withdrawals at home. It's a frightening and dangerous proposition.

In fact, it could be fatal, I think. Is that right, ncc?

Heya Reba,

Yes.

Totally unpredictable.

You *NEED* to be in hospital for this.

All this detox at once is ... not impossible.

But. You.

***NEED*** to be in hospital for this.

I wasn't emphatic enough before.

Thanks Libby.

--ncc--

Meds or no meds, this sounds like a very unhealthy relationship dynamic.

Like when you have a couple and one is an alcoholic. Then the alcoholic goes in to recovery....and the spouse can't handle it and leaves them when they are finally sober.

Weird shit.

And yeah..doctor...hospital...or what about some couple's therapy??

Would you want to go off your meds if your husband wasn't telling you that you "have" to? Are they causing any side effects that you think are unbearable? Or is it all because your husband assumes that you'd be more "fun" if you were unmedicated and ill? And does he have any idea that your options are not limited to 1) taking exactly the same medications you're taking right now at exactly the same dosages or 2) never taking any medication ever again? That there are medications that might not make you feel like a zombie, if you even actually feel that way right now and it's not just your husband's perspective?

I noticed in another post that you think your husband will leave you if you don't go off your medications. I'm not going to say something as presumptuous as "You don't need someone like that in your life" when you've been married for 15 years and I don't know either of you or anything about your marriage. That would be ridiculous of me. But I will telling you that you don't need anyone making ultimatums like that. Not that I know whether he's actually made an ultimatum or not, but in either case, going off your medication will not save your marriage. (Not that I'm saying your marriage is doomed, just that going off all medication is not the sort of thing that saves anybody's marriage.) If he actually would leave you because he thinks you seem sluggish right now (and I'm not saying he would), then what makes you think he'd want to stick around if you became severely depressed or dangerously manic? Whether you need medication or not, and what medications you need, are the sort of things that your health care professionals probably know more about than your husband does.

And if you want to go off medications or cut down on medications or try different medications because that's what you want, don't do it without a doctor's supervision. Note that I said "a" doctor: it doesn't necessarily have to be the one you're seeing now. Doctors aren't always right. If you think your cocktail should be tweaked and your doctor won't listen to you, you can seek a second opinion.

I'm sorry things are so hard for you right now.

Archived