CrazyBoards.org

These weird semi-hallucinations...

This just started happening to me about a month ago... I started hearing this music playing and it wasn't coming from inside my head. It was kinda freaking me out because it was singing about whatever I was thinking about. And shortly thereafter, I started seeing "shadows" all over the place.

They aren't full-fledged hallucinations, more like these weird see-through ghost looking hallucinations. Like an outline of what it is. Like last time I saw this baby crawling up the wall, but I knew it was just a hallucination.

And when I close my eyes to block out the stuff, I see all these weird-looking red and white things moving around really fast under my eyelids. They remind me of dozens and dozens of fire ants all right there in my face, and sometimes I can't sleep because of it.

Does anyone have any idea at all what this is, or am I just weird?

Well it does sound like hallucinations, but I am no expert. Are you manic or mixed right now?

Talk to your pdoc. I was in a similar boat last week if you go back and find my thread. It was very scary.

In my case it was being caused by anxiety and pdoc increased my gabapentin and it stopped. I didn't require an antipsychotic as I had expected.

No you are not weird, but it is disconcerning and you should definitely have it checked out asap. I'm sure something can be done.

Nope, I don't have anxiety or manic episodes or anything. I do have complex partial seizures, but I've had them since I was little, and I've never had anything like this before, so I don't think it's because of the seizures.

My doc says I'll have to start some new meds for the hallucinations, and that I should do some research to see what sort of drug would seem the best, but I really don't know...

Is it antipsychotics he wants you to research? What are the meds you are supposed to choose from?

I have limited experience with APs, but there are many here that could provide you with good information.

I'm sorry if I seem negative but this is NOT your job...your doctor needs to find the right AP for your situation. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or general practitioner? You really should see a psychiatrist, Niz. These AP's come with side effects and it's really no fun trying one and going through the side effects only to find out it really doesn't work for your issues and then moving on to another and another.... It's bound to happen (there is not a magical way to see what AP will work for which person) but you need a doctor who has some experience and knowledge of what happens with "most" patients, kwim?

I hope you get lucky and find a med that works right away. I'm sorry for your hallucinations =( I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

I'm sorry if I seem negative but this is NOT your job...your doctor needs to find the right AP for your situation. Are you seeing a psychiatrist or general practitioner? You really should see a psychiatrist, Niz. These AP's come with side effects and it's really no fun trying one and going through the side effects only to find out it really doesn't work for your issues and then moving on to another and another.... It's bound to happen (there is not a magical way to see what AP will work for which person) but you need a doctor who has some experience and knowledge of what happens with "most" patients, kwim?

I hope you get lucky and find a med that works right away. I'm sorry for your hallucinations =( I wouldn't wish them on anybody.

What's wrong with a doctor that allows you to choose your med from a few possible choices? If there are say 3 meds that will help, why not let the patient decide?

I did talk to my neurologist, and it's not due to seizures.

I was being vague, sorry ;) He wants me to research different AP meds so I can learn more about them, so I'll get a choice between two or three different ones that will all help, I'll know which has which side-effects and stuff.

This just started happening to me about a month ago... I started hearing this music playing and it wasn't coming from inside my head. It was kinda freaking me out because it was singing about whatever I was thinking about. And shortly thereafter, I started seeing "shadows" all over the place.

They aren't full-fledged hallucinations, more like these weird see-through ghost looking hallucinations. Like an outline of what it is. Like last time I saw this baby crawling up the wall, but I knew it was just a hallucination.

And when I close my eyes to block out the stuff, I see all these weird-looking red and white things moving around really fast under my eyelids. They remind me of dozens and dozens of fire ants all right there in my face, and sometimes I can't sleep because of it.

Does anyone have any idea at all what this is, or am I just weird?

hey niz,

first of all, these do sound like full blown hallucinations. The good thing is you seem to be pretty aware that they aren't real, but that doesn't mean they aren't full blown hallucinations.

Having psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations can be caused by lots of different things: drug abuse, severe lack of sleep, and quite a few different mental illnesses can include hallucinations like what you've described.

Are you using any kind of drugs? If not, are you depressed or manic when you are having hallucinations.? Depression and bipolar disorder and some personality disorders can bring on hallucinations.

Schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder are the best known for causing symptoms like these. And they also seem to be the most feared and stigmatized Mental illnesses. But if you do have schizophrenia--and im not saying that you do, it doesn't mean your life is over. schizophrenia is very treatable these days with the right meds.

I have schizophrenia..was diagnosed with it 2 years ago when i was 17. Started having some of the symptoms when i was 3 or 4.

lately i've been getting along pretty well with my medication. I've gone through a lot of similar things like what you described--hearing voices and music, seeing shadows, faces popping out of walls, bugs crawling around, feeling possessed, etc.

Do you know if you have any family history of mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar, depression?

oh and i hope i dont scare you but i should mention that certain medical conditions can also cause psychosis, but it's pretty rare. Epilepsy, brain tumors, thyroid problems are s couple examples.

do you have a psychiatrist or therapist. If you do, you should tell him/her right away. If not, you should make an appointment with a psychiatrist or even a regular doctor and tell them what's going on.

good luck.

I did talk to my neurologist, and it's not due to seizures.

I was being vague, sorry ;) He wants me to research different AP meds so I can learn more about them, so I'll get a choice between two or three different ones that will all help, I'll know which has which side-effects and stuff.

that's really good that your doctor wants you to research different AP's. I always make sure i've researched any meds before i start them. It's real important for you to know the possible risks and side effects of these drugs. AP's can have lots of bad side effects and some can be serious (but rare)

Since you wont know which AP works for you until you've tried it (because meds act differently for everyone) I'd suggest trying Abilify or Geodon first. These one's seem to have the lowest risk of side effects (from what i've read) and they don't cause weight gain like most of the other AP's. Also, concider telling your doctor to start you off on low doses of these meds and slowly go up. Some doctors will start their patients out on relativily high doses and i dont think that's a very wise idea.

Well, anyways, that's just my advice, but yeah, you should research them and decide for yourself.

oh BTW, do you have any other symptoms like paranoia or delusional thinking such as feeling like people are reading your mind, putting thoughts in your head, the FBI is spying on you, aliens are communicating with you, lack of emotions, low energy, low motivation, disorganized speech?

Some medications can even cause hallucinations - I've never completely stopped having olfactory hallucinations since

bing on wellbutrin and coming off of it 18 months ago. While on it, the effect was so frequent I thought it was just a goofy

side effect. And when I start hearing voices in the white noise from cooling fans and stuff, I'm WAY too far into sleep

deprivation to be playing around on the computer after work.

So if you want to use a medication to help out, you'll want something that can be taken at a reasonably minimum dosage -

like a generic that comes in a pill that can be cut in half (or that is approved for children at lower dosages)

I agree, those sound like low level hallucinations, almost would call them an illusions. I have had full blown visual ones, where I saw a person, and they were talking to me.

An illusion is when you mistake a real object as being something else. For example, if you look at a plant and think it is a green monster. Even though this isn't technically an hallucination, it can be just as scary.

I once saw a Giant shadow figure come running at me while i was driving. It looked completly real, but after a few seconds, i saw that it was just a tree.

But What the OP described ARE true hallucinations and pretty severe ones too! hearing voices which aren't really there singing your thoughts allowed is quite a serious hallucination. Just because they might not be quite as real and big as seeing a person sitting next to you talking to you, that doesn't mean they aren't serious as it is.

Archived