CrazyBoards.org

I am saying goodbye to Ambien

So the night before last, flailing in my sleep, I gave my husband a bloody nose with an elbow to the face. This is after kicking him and stealing his blanket. When he shouted in pain and turned on the light I apprently mumbled incoherently and turned over and went back to sleep.

I don't remember this at all. That scares the shit out of me. I don't know what I am going to do for sleep, but I can't take Ambien (or any of the other z drugs) and be afraid that I will do something else horrible and not remember it the next day.

I really don't know what options I have left as I have been through all the TCAs for insomnia and rozerem and all the herbals and can't take sedating AP's.

I feel so horribly bad for hurting my hubby. He knows it was an accident but now is afraid to sleep by me.

I hate my fucked up broken insoniac ADD riddled brain.

There are times when my wife won't sleep next to me either, especially if I've been drinking wth my meds

(yeah, I know, stupid)

In addition to snoring so loud she can hear me downstairs, I also have mild sleep apnea, and she used to freak out because she would hear me stop breathing, so she would "kick me back to life" as it were, then I would make this huge inhaling noise. I've also clobbered her pretty good in my sleep, and I've always been a thrashing blanket hog.

It's a little better now, but when I'm really bushed, I usually sack out on the couch; safer for her that way.

I'm sorry the hypnotics aren't working out for you halo, and I wish I could say I knew of something that would help.

Just wanted to commiserate with you. At least hubby understands.

Take it easy,

~M

When I told my Doctor all the strange things I was doing on Ambien

He stopped giving it to me, I was glad!!!!!!!!

I think I have been off it for 3 months? (not sure)

But Ambien is a very, very, scary drug. Buying tons on clothes on the internet, Post messages on CB that I didn't remember. Calling my Boyfriend and telling Sexual things. Sending Sexual emails.

I don't remember *any* of it! I am only glad it was just that. Not something more like getting in my car and driving or something that would have harmed me or my daughter.

I told my doctor so he can hopefully tell his next patient what it might do to them.

It took a while to get to sleep after i was off it, but eventually I did.

Good Luck!!!

Wow!!! I had no idea hypnotics could cause bizarre behavior like that. I know that amnesia is on the PI sheet, but geez. Good thing you didn't get in your car!

Hypnotics didn't do much of anything for me. I quit them because they seemed like placebos.

Halo,

I'm sorry. I've told this story a million times, so I'm sure you've heard it, but I stopped taking ambien after biting my (then) boyfriend really hard on the arm and replying to his scream with "I'm sorry... I thought you were a blueberry muffin."

Ambien is le scary stuff.

I have no magical insomnia answers, sadly. I take tryptophan (which you can't since you're on zoloft, right?) and magnesium and they make me drowsy, but they don't pack an ambien punch and anyway I don't think you can take tryptophan because of that nasty seratonin syndrome hell.

Can you take restoril or something like that? Benzos aren't the best for sleep, but there are new meds in the pipeline that aren't z meds so maybe it could tide you over?

Insomnia sucks, I'm sorry.

Halo,

I'm sorry. I've told this story a million times, so I'm sure you've heard it, but I stopped taking ambien after biting my (then) boyfriend really hard on the arm and replying to his scream with "I'm sorry... I thought you were a blueberry muffin."

Ambien is le scary stuff.

I have no magical insomnia answers, sadly. I take tryptophan (which you can't since you're on zoloft, right?) and magnesium and they make me drowsy, but they don't pack an ambien punch and anyway I don't think you can take tryptophan because of that nasty seratonin syndrome hell.

Can you take restoril or something like that? Benzos aren't the best for sleep, but there are new meds in the pipeline that aren't z meds so maybe it could tide you over?

Insomnia sucks, I'm sorry.

Yep, on zoloft. Tonight will be my first night sans Ambien, so we will see what happens.

I am going to talk to the pdoc about a benzo solution, it seems to be my only option left.

(btw - the blueberry muffin story always makes me smile)

I've been plagued with insomnia all my life and one thing that worked for me (this was a few years ago) was Ativan. I didn't have an official prescription--my landlord got extras each week and gave me some of those. Those things were worth their weight in gold to me!

I take 50mg seroquel at night now. No more insomnia.

I am going to talk to the pdoc about a benzo solution, it seems to be my only option left.

I'd quite like to try Ambien. Sounds interesting.

You think amnesia sounds interesting???

You don't take prescription medications because they "sound interesting", you take them because you are prescribed them to treat a medical condition.

• 2 weeks later...

HaloGirl,

I know you said you've tried most of the herbals...but I take a powdered calcium/magnesium supplement that I mix with water at night (it tastes like tang).

One of the side effects listed is drowsiness, and I have found that I get really tired after I take it. I don't know if you've tried it before, but it may help some.

BTW, I spent two nights on ambien obsessively cleaning my apartment before I gave it up.

I hope you're able to get some rest.

Halo,

It took me around a few weeks or so........To finally fall asleep. I must admit. I used NyQuil a few nights (well maybe more than a few)

But, Ambien is some scary stuff. I did such crazy stuff on it.

I will keep wishing you good thoughts~~

So the night before last, flailing in my sleep, I gave my husband a bloody nose with an elbow to the face. This is after kicking him and stealing his blanket. When he shouted in pain and turned on the light I apprently mumbled incoherently and turned over and went back to sleep.

I don't remember this at all. That scares the shit out of me. I don't know what I am going to do for sleep, but I can't take Ambien (or any of the other z drugs) and be afraid that I will do something else horrible and not remember it the next day.

I really don't know what options I have left as I have been through all the TCAs for insomnia and rozerem and all the herbals and can't take sedating AP's.

I feel so horribly bad for hurting my hubby. He knows it was an accident but now is afraid to sleep by me.

I hate my fucked up broken insoniac ADD riddled brain.

Hope you'll forgive my poor memory, as I know I've read tons of your posts before. I notice the ADD dx. Have you tried just a tiny bit of Adderall (doesn't have to be XR, could be broken up generic pill), shortly before bed. I know it sounds backwards but for me 2.5 to 5 mg helps me fall asleep, tho more keeps me awake. I see you're taking a bit more, so maybe you'd need more to fall asleep, too. Stops my brain from flitting about so vigorously. Not a cure all, but definitely a help. Usually what's left over at the end of the day is enough, tho I'm guessing if you're taking only one XR in the morning you might not have much left at bedtime. I also sometimes get these strange but very helpful "power naps" on the full dose of Adderall. Like sleeping at double speed.

Have read a lot of strange Ambien stories while here on Crazyboards.

Archived