CrazyBoards.org

Hiya-

I've managed to be out on my own for about 14 months now. It has been great to be free and able to prove to myself that I can and am capable of doing it.

However, there are financial realities. My mom is also BP and hasn't worked in 2 years, so she receives every kind of aid on the planet. Then there's me. I'm better off with the BP (I at least accept it and take my meds), but the rent at my place is $525.

My credit is like the latest death report from Iraq it is so bad. No one would let me rent even if I begged, especially without a job. I know I can't stay where I am for long without a job.

My pdoc has treated myself and my mom, and recommends highly that I do NOT live with her and said we could find alternatives.

Maybe in today's tdoc session I can ask about alternatives.

What do you think thus far?

Have you at least had any promising interviews? We're in the same field so I know it can take some time to find tech work, sometimes a few months. It's not the booming market people think in most cities.

It seems like such a shame for you to have to give up your apartment especially if it will be tough to get a new one because of credit checks.

Do you not qualify for unemployment, welfare, something?

If you do have to give up the apt, the roomate idea is a pretty good one.

my place is small without room for anyone else, however last year i did get bunk beds and have a roommate. he was/is my best friend, so it was fine. except he has asperger's and drove me out of my mind. one day i just exploded (i'm normally very, very inward), screamed at him for letting the place look like shit while i was away on business, then kicked him out! now i need a roommate and want him back, but his treatment team is in MI and all...

yep dee, it will take a little while to find work. i mostly work at help desks and that is a tough one to get a job in, especially as your years of experience go up and people wonder why you don't go for mgmt. ah, well, stuff.

with such a small place though, i need someone i really, really like to be able to do it.

maybe moving in with people who already have a bigger place?

it would suck to give up my placel

I'm working on the whole job thing. several look promising.

loon

Sounds unlikely, but is there any chance your mom or another family member could loan you some money until you get back on your feet? Moving is hell, and it sounds like you may not be eligible anyway.

Another idea--you might check with your local United Way for organizations that might provide short term emergency financial relief for those in your situation. There are tons of non-profits out there....some may have loans or even direct grants that might help.

Other than that, I would just say work on those job leads and take one, even if it's not the best one. You can always keep looking on the side.

I'm sorry things are so bleak. My hubby and I are not in the best shape either and are talking about putting our house on the market. It would kill me, but one must do what they can. Then again, moving takes money too...and the thought of cleaning this place up to get it on the market is so daunting...I don't think I could do it.

Support group? Friends? You/I need help. It's time to call in those favors...and take a job. ANY job.

Thinking of you,

CB.

maybe moving in with people who already have a bigger place?

College town. Student ghetto.

'cept, all the minimum-experience jobs are taken usually

I'm working on the whole job thing. several look promising.

loon

2nd or 3rd shift temping - usually all nuts and misfits.

Hey, unless it costs you whatever aid you've got, "crappy temp assignments that change every few weeks"

beats "no job, no money"

hi loon

If living with your mom would make things worse, than it's probably not a good idea and there are some other alternatives..you could try a halfway house, residential treatment, etc. (there are some government funded ones out there) until you can get back on your feet. Do you have any other family or friends who might let you live with them for a while?

Have you concidered applying for disability benifits? I have applied once already. I was denied the first time (they always deny you the first time) and im going to try applying again soon. I live in an appartment with my boyfriend and he works and pays most the the rent.

Im unable to work and i am in school part time right now but barely able to manage with that. Right now i am taking money out of my college fund that my grandma saved up for me, but i feel guilty doing so...i need disability.

good luck to you. Sorry i dont have better advice

Archived