CrazyBoards.org

Israel/Lebanon conflict

Heya HaloGirl66,

Oh I'm so glad your friend is okay.

Well, the news here is "the brink of all-out war in the Middle East."

Supposably relating back to the two kidnapped Israeli soldiers.

Who were apparently tranferred to Lebanon for holding.

Now the Hezbollah nutjobs in Lebanon are throwing bombs at Israel.

And nutjobs in Israel are lobbing missiles at Lebanon. The Beirut airport, and roads in and out of Lebanon, are destroyed. So, now noone can get out or in, effectively.

And we call *us* crazy.

This is Beirut, which when I was a kid was the "Paris of the Middle East," a tourists' expensive and exotic destination. I remember reading that.

The whole thing is freaking me out which is likely (although I *do* miss you guys in general, world crisis or not ;) ) what brought me back to the boards.

With the Americans in Iraq already thinking there's a war, and now with bombs flying all over the place, um.

Our own stupid Bush-lite PM called Israel's initial response (blowing up the airport) "measured."

That's not helping.

I have *no idea* what would help make this scary stuff go away. Maybe nothing. I just know I'm ... well, freaking out.

I'm just a doctor, not a diplomat.

--ncc--

Hello!!

I'm glad to hear your friend is OK, HaloGirl66. I hope you're not too worried about her, though it's understandable if you are.

This is just yet another example of Israel's reactionary aggressiveness, arrogance and stupidity. The worst thing is that Israel knows it can do this and get off without punishment because the USA, and therefore the UN, will back them and the other Arab states will not dare to declare war or help Lebanon.

I feel sad for all those innocent people in Lebanon that are suffering as a result of Hezbollah guerillas. I'd like to know at what point and why they think they can 'win'. Because they can't.

Take care!!

I don't flipping understand Israel's strategy. They aren't hurting Hezbollah. They are destroying Lebanon. Granted Lebanon still has Syrians occupying portions and have a rifle to their heads, but tearing down the shaky nation won't make them any stronger or more able to toss out the syrians or Hezbollah.

Destroy the airport runways and fuel farm? The damn thing was closed for over 10 years in the 70' and 80's. This will not hurt Hezbolah, just slaps the Lebanese and hurts their pride and ability to be connected with the civilized world.

a.m.

Heya fellow crazies,

I know.

What about regular people in Lebanon who might, I dunno, be *scared* and want to *leave?*

All this does is hurt *those* folks.

Wackos will be wackos and regular people are the ones who suffer.

OK I guess from my first post, as non-partisan as I try to be, it's apparent.

This is on the excuse of the two soldiers. It's a flashpoint. This was going to happen. Those two unfortunate guys are/were ("are," I fervently hope) a trigger.

And idiots like Bush-lite think it's okay, b/c it's Israel.

Just like we all think Saudi Arabia is okay, b/c Harvard grads have oil.

We're idiots.

With apologies to anyone who's been diagnosed as an "idiot" by an IQ test. This is different.

Fuck.

--ncc--

Hi All,

Im kind of nervous about what I want to say because i dont want to start ww3 on CB.

But this israel - lebannon stuff is a delicate subject for some people. It is for me even though I dont subscribe to either's political or religious views.

who is right? who is wrong? I dont know.

I couldnt settle this battle.

and if someone wants to kick my ass....go ahead, i'm already on the floor.

db

Hey deckbridge,

It's just scary.

There's ideology on both/all sides (I'm not sure this can be boiled down to side A/side B ).

Seems like here on CB, we're able to just be scared together without throwing ideologies at each other.

Which is kindof (ironic? maybe) almost *funny* b/c you and me are the crazy ones and the ones killing everyone are supposably WNL (within normal limits).

At this point, it's just.scary.

I hear you.

--ncc--

Heya HaloGirl66,

Exactly.

You and me, if we lived there, would be screwed six ways from sunday.

I know a few docs in Lebanon, and in Israel, and in Syria. I hope they're okay, but that's not the point.

;)

--ncc--

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lebanese

I'm scared, angry and sad.

I'm scared, because the war in my country might last even longer.

I'm angry, because people are fighting wars on my land without anybody in my country wanting it. Because the world is watching, without doing anything about it. Because whoever wants to do anything about it, keeps giving nonfeasible solutions that none of the fighting parties would agree to.

I'm sad, for the 1000 dead, 3500 injured, million displaced living in schools and gardens for a month; for the people who lost their homes, their jobs (75% unemployment at the moment), their children, their relatives, their parents, and they wanted nothing out of this war.

I'm in a part of the counry that's safe. So far. So don't worry about me. I'm still holding up.

But now I'm scared, because I thought the expected UN decision would solve it, but it seems like that wouldn't happen.

Fuck ideology. Fuck religion.

I'm a registered crazyboards member, but I'd rather keep my regular username secret.

Seeing the destruction in Lebanon is just stunning.

The realization dawned on me this week, that this exchange is but prelude to a greater and longer war.

Hopefully the diplomats can arrange a cease fire. Any peace is better than none.

The fact that what everyone expected to be a week long affair is now nearly a month long and only getting worse, serves to show how much more heavily armed and better trained Hezbolah is than in years past.

However, it is clear that too many forces aim to attempt to destroy Israel, even if they bring their own homes down on their heads. To me this looks inevitable, and it will only be worse.

a.m.

p.s. Lebanese, I"m glad you are safe. You are probably wise to guard your identity and location. Remember you can always post as a guest, or create a new username and profile.

Sorry if this sounds like a history lesson, but there is a point.

It appears that:

Hezbolla attacked Israel , something that they have been doing on a smaller scale for a while. Historically not a smart thing to do. Israel, rtificially created by the British at the end of WWII, surrounded by enemies, is understandably very reactionary in their politics and warfare. Remember that any nation's first and primary purpose is to ensure its own existence, by whatever means necessary. Ugly as that sounds, it is true.

This round of the fight goes back into the 1940's and 50's, when Israel was created by force. Their claim to the land is as reasonably valid as anyone else's. It escalated during the 1970's when countries such as Libya, Syria and others began large scale sponsoring of radical Islamic terrorism in response to the Arab states inability to win a conventional war (backed by the USSR) against the Israeli (backed by the US and western European nations) army.

In the 70

the destruction in lebanon is really terrible, but in contrast there have been tens of thousands of lives lost in iraq as well as thousands of US troops killed there. i dont mean to minimize the situation in lebanon but in comparison to the war in iraq it is a fairly small conflict. also, this situation is nothing new, just an extension of conflicts that ended in 2000. im not taking either side, i am pissed off at both the israelis and the hezbollah for bumming me out every time i turn on the news!

Seeing the destruction in Lebanon is just stunning.

The realization dawned on me this week, that this exchange is but prelude to a greater and longer war.

Hopefully the diplomats can arrange a cease fire. Any peace is better than none.

The fact that what everyone expected to be a week long affair is now nearly a month long and only getting worse, serves to show how much more heavily armed and better trained Hezbolah is than in years past.

However, it is clear that too many forces aim to attempt to destroy Israel, even if they bring their own homes down on their heads. To me this looks inevitable, and it will only be worse.

a.m.

p.s. Lebanese, I"m glad you are safe. You are probably wise to guard your identity and location. Remember you can always post as a guest, or create a new username and profile.

I don't see any of the West directly condemning Israel for their bizarre actions the past few weeks.

However, I find that we'll all find it a damn good excuse to plate-glass the Middle East should one or more national governments (and I don't mean gov't-supported terrorists) enter into large scale operations in Israeli territory.

Right now, the West's job is to sit back and watch, and wait for the correct moment to intervene, i.e., when Israel is attacked en masse.

My personal opinion about the whole situation would be: "WHAT IN SAM HELL DO Y'ALL THINK Y'ALL ARE DOIN'?!?!?!?!?!" Works on CB (occasionally), but I'd bet not so much on repressive governments and terrorist fanatics.

Now if the UN only made a douche that'd be good enough to get the massive amounts of sand present in all of the parties involved.

I'm scared, angry and sad.

I'm scared, because the war in my country might last even longer.

I'm angry, because people are fighting wars on my land without anybody in my country wanting it. Because the world is watching, without doing anything about it. Because whoever wants to do anything about it, keeps giving nonfeasible solutions that none of the fighting parties would agree to.

I'm sad, for the 1000 dead, 3500 injured, million displaced living in schools and gardens for a month; for the people who lost their homes, their jobs (75% unemployment at the moment), their children, their relatives, their parents, and they wanted nothing out of this war.

I'm in a part of the counry that's safe. So far. So don't worry about me. I'm still holding up.

But now I'm scared, because I thought the expected UN decision would solve it, but it seems like that wouldn't happen.

Fuck ideology. Fuck religion.

I'm a registered crazyboards member, but I'd rather keep my regular username secret.

Stay safe Lebanese

• 2 weeks later...

Dead is dead is dead. No matter what for. You'd think after all of this time of human "evolution" we'd be able to solve our differences without taking a steak knife to the gentleman next to us. But nope. On it rolls. Hopefully this ends soon but who knows...

Lilie

Dead is dead is dead. No matter what for. You'd think after all of this time of human "evolution" we'd be able to solve our differences without taking a steak knife to the gentleman next to us. But nope. On it rolls. Hopefully this ends soon but who knows...

Lilie

I know I'm taking your point too literally, lilie, but evolution is more "survival of the horniest" than it is survival of any particular trait we humans happen to find desirable. Whether or not horniness is desirable, of course, is up to you.

Like I said, we need a UN-sponsored douche. Straight to the Middle East.

Archived