CrazyBoards.org

Good antidepressant for bipolar?

I have bipolar in addition to other things and I've been looking for an antidepressant that would be good for bipolar. I'm on Zoloft right now but it actually causes anxiety somehow and makes bipolar worse. Does anyone with bipolar know of a good antidepressant for this?

I would like to know the answer to this too. I am taking ( coming off) Wellbutrin- made me dyshoric. Pdoc wants to put me on Lithium. There is no way in hell I am going on Lithium.

You could try Paxil, if you're not too attached to your sex drive.

Paxil's also an SSRI, so there's a good chance it won't be better for him than Zoloft - I'm assuming the AD is for the

downward swings, preferably without causing a mixed state or mania.

Wellbutrin works for some folks, but even mild dopamine reuptake inhibition can be a boost to bad times.

Strattera is a fairly straightforward NARI, and a couple of TCAs (Norpramin, Vivactil) are more strongly

noradrenergic than serotonergic. NA doesn't always lead to happy/pleasant mood lift, and all of these are

capable of some unpleasant side effects.

Search on the anticonvulsants board a bit too - some of them when used as mood stabilizers have an AD effect,

if I recall what I've read correctly.

DD is bipolar with ongoing hallucinations......her AD is Effexor and it has worked quite well in combination with Geodon and Trileptal to stabilize her moods (until we added Abilify, that is, and she's off that as of today).

I am taking lamictal (along with seroquel), and it held me for several months, but I started rapid cycling down into depression again. I tried wellbutrin, but it made me hypomanic. I recently went on effexor, and what a miracle!! I haven't felt this good in months.

Good luck finding the right mix for you ;)

Effexor is another med. my pdoc suggested, but I've already been on and off cymbalta, which worked awesome for me for 6 wks. then it pooped out. Going off was not pretty. Would Effexor be the same way? It seems to hit the same NT's. I was thinking about giving cymbalta another try, It's been a year or more since i STOPPed taking it. But then again, I hear if you go off a certain med and then go back on, it doesn't work anymore. Would going of effexor be the same as going back on cymbalta?

I hope I'm not hijacking, if I am, I'm sorry, just tell me and I won't do it anymore. mel

I've heard mixed stories about going off Effexor. DD has been on it since last August and still is benefiting from it. At the time, the doctor said it is one of the most reliable drug choices and for teens (dd was 18) did not seem to have the suicidal risks associated with it. Not sure if it was that and finally starting to find some meds that worked or just coincidence but the suicidal ideations REALLY decreased to almost none.

The way I look at it is that we'll deal with going off of it when the time comes (if it comes) - in the meantime you have to take what works for you, right?

Ok this a question I also have if ANYONE can help....I am on 1000mg Keppra for BPII...and kolonopin for panic....now my PDoc wants to add lexapro in the mix...is this going to send me into a crazy spiral of Mania?? anyone know?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...my appt is next week and im scared ;)

Ok this a question I also have if ANYONE can help....I am on 1000mg Keppra for BPII...and kolonopin for panic....now my PDoc wants to add lexapro in the mix...is this going to send me into a crazy spiral of Mania?? anyone know?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...my appt is next week and im scared :(

I'm going to guess that Lexapro will make you tired and unmotivated, to the point where you will sit on the couch yawning all day.

However, I am not a psychiatrist and I could be completely wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

my pdoc said that the 2 ADs he swears by to give BP people are WB and Paxil, as they seem to not irritate as badly as some of the others, for most people.

personally, the first time i tried paxil i was drying out of lithium and suicidal, so my pdoc gave me an emergency fix of paxil. i was totally, completely manic. it is the only time my family has ever seen me so wired that i was literally jumping on the furniture and i stayed up for 10 nights (that was the 1st time i did that) cleaning the house.

I've been on prozac-20 mg. for 2 wks. and it has pulled me out of my "i don't want to get out of bed" funk. I also am getting stuff done, which is really good cuz I have alot of stuff to get done(new job).

• 2 weeks later...

I once thought I was Bipolar and my pdoc said the 'safest' antidepressants for a Bipolar person can be remembered by 'PEW'...being Paxil, Effexor & Wellbutrin. Take it for what it's worth.

Zoloft might work quite well with the right stabilizer(s). Lamictal is hot shit right now with a lot of folks. As it turns out, I was Unipolar with some ADD. All of the ADs I've been on have worked, those being Zoloft, Lamictal, Wellbutrin and Adderall (for ADD, helped mood with Zoloft).

The only thing I find is side effects vary for all of them.

I've been on various antidepressants (prior to bipolar diagnosis). Prozac sent me manic. Sertraline (which I believe is the active drug in Zoloft) is currently working well for me, in conjunction with Seroquel as a mood stabilizer.

That said, I'm one of those lucky people who seem to respond very well to these types of drugs! ;)

after having a lot of experience (for myself, with my own body chemistry, personally) with these meds, i like WB the most for not causing any manic reactions. i'm very prone to mania so this is saying a lot for me. paxil also did not cause mania, but i'm on 3 mood stabilizers (lamictal, topa, and risp, especially the combo of topa and risp are said to be super anti-manic substances), so i'm probably covered no matter what, at least i'd hope.

the first time i took paxil was without a mood stabilizer and i was higher than a kite.

Archived