CrazyBoards.org

day light hours are going down...

I remember a thread about the sun coming out, and all of us going crazy. And there is a thread going about depression now, and I for now am bad bad low, and some posts I've seen are not so optimistic to say least...just wondering is this a pattern? I know it is for me, I go nuts in the spring and down bad in the fall more or less. But how many of us cycle in that pattern? maybe it has to do with dayligth hours.

I don't know, maybe this is a stupid topic. I was just curious.

I live reasonably far south enough (30*N) that I haven't noticed a huge difference in daylight since the solstice (yet, in any event).

Not that less sunlight is going to make me depressed, in any event. The decrease in sunlight heralds the eventual drop in temperatures, and I'd love to see a heat index below 100F (~40C). By default, I'm a nocturnal creature, so I couldn't care less about how much light we get during the day, as long as it stays under 14 hours. ;)

In any event, my parents in Indiana are probably downright euphoric at the amount of daylight decreasing. After adopting daylight saving time this year (putting them at the far western boundary of ET, the only points at its longitude in ET that are west of the EASTERN boundary of the state are northwards in Michigan). This means that sunset's significantly past 9PM, and daylight/twilight are visible well past 10 PM.

This frustrates DP, who tend to go to bed around 8:30PM and awaken around 4AM.

weirdo here.. I hate bright sunny days.. Why should everything seem so beautiful and I feel like crap

The more dismal, cloudy, dark, (not rainy) the happier I feel.. WTF

Frosty

I'm mostly depressed from October to February, hypomanic/rapid cycling/all kinds of crazy from February to May, and relatively stable from June to September. Of course, since I am a rapid cycler, I still have major mood fluctuations all year round, but the general trend is to be more depressed in the fall and winter, more hypomanic with even more periods of rapid cycling than usual in the late winter and spring, and more stable in the summer.

August through October, despite the fact that I can get more sleep, is my time to do outrageous things. Back in 1989 I left my then husband for another man whom I married. That marriage is over and I'm on number three. I met him in the fall too. October 2nd is a big day for me. I had my appendix out one year, lost my viginity another year, had my mother move away a different year ect. It seems every third year something happens then that sets the tone for the next year.

Yes I do know that I am nuts!

I feel manic in the winter, cycling through mixed and creepy episodes in the spring, go down in the summer, and mixed again in the fall. Overlapping these major moods are moods that vary from day to day, like I may feel depressed for awhile in the day, but overall the time is manic. hard to describe. But i'm basicallly an NOS.

I feel manic in the winter, cycling through mixed and creepy episodes in the spring, go down in the summer, and mixed again in the fall. Overlapping these major moods are moods that vary from day to day, like I may feel depressed for awhile in the day, but overall the time is manic. hard to describe. But i'm basicallly an NOS.

I'm not sure any generalizations apply to you, Loon, given that you live in a place which gets a constant marine layer of high fog/low clouds from November through January and never sees the sun during that period. Nor does it get above freezing for months at a time.

Then again, that might just be the east side,

--herrfous

I am very affected by the weather. I get more prone to manic or hypomanic spells in sunny, long-day summertime and I am way more prone to depression whenever it's cloudy, overcast, rainy, dreary or the days are shorter.

My life completely changed when I moved from the Midwest to Southern California, needless to say...

I always get more depressed in the summer. It's too damn hot and sunny. I live for the thunderstorms though. And I think Florida has the most beautiful clouds of anywhere I've ever been. I love the sound of thunder. But when one of those hellish Bermuda highs hit and there's no rain for weeks and the heat index is in the 100's with ungodly humidity, that is when I get really depressed. in the fall, when the weather starts to change0in Fla. that is Oct. It goes down to low 80's with low humidity and the air feels excited and fresh and everything seems new and possible and that is when I get pleasantly manic.

Now you see, I'm not as hestarical about my hating this Summer Season, because I know it has to be this way. But when I was hestarical about it being above normal, clear and sunny in December and Janauary. When I like to see it Winter and it's not being that way. Some here noticed my Hestaricalness Thread's and Post's back then.

I like the medium contrast of things. These extremes I hate. I like Gray Days. Not too bright or too dark. And I like the In-doors a bit brighter, with the right kind of ambient lighting. Not light beams and I hate the Sun's Rays. I like Cloudiness, the Fog and Rain. And cool temperatures. Temperatures that don't go above 75 degrees.

I'm hoping yet, to move to a climate like this, like up in the Washington State area or Northern Oregon.

Archived