CrazyBoards.org

people that use milder mi's as reasons to be assholes, suck.

quadrophenia

I really, really hate people with mild MI, who think it's funny to belittle my more severe conditions. Not only do I hate being offended and humiliated, but I seriously hate having my paranoia deliberately triggered, then dismissed and laughed at right afterwards. Especially when the bitch in question claims to be a therapist and a PsyD. student.

I'd love it if the bitch's OCD got bad for a day. Like, Howard Hughes bad. She needs a taste of empathy. She needs to get tenderized. And, right now, I don't care how immoral or horrible it is of me to wish that. ;)

And, no, it's nobody here on Crazyboards, just for the record.

I know. What pisses me off are all those kids with Hot Topic shirts that say things about how schizo or anti-social they are, when they obviously are not.

Someone I know used to go around saying "Oh, sorry I'm bipolar." That was her reason for everything. Then I had a manic episode and she thought I was insane and never came around me again. Geez...

Heya,

Yah I addressed that *exact feeling* on some Thread or another.

Everyone who's had a bad day wants to be bipolar.

--ncc--

Irritating as hell, isn't it? ;)

I know. What pisses me off are all those kids with Hot Topic shirts that say things about how schizo or anti-social they are, when they obviously are not.

Someone I know used to go around saying "Oh, sorry I'm bipolar." That was her reason for everything. Then I had a manic episode and she thought I was insane and never came around me again. Geez...

Serves her right. Poseurs... :)

;) This is the worst- my mom IS BP1 and STILL belittles me and makes fun of me for it and humiliates me for it! she makes it into an "i'm not strong enough" kind of thing, telling me that with the right natural concoctions and inner strength that i can "heal" bipolar disorder. uh, yeah, heal, as in if i don't take my meds i SI and overdose with the serious, psychotic attempt to commit suicide. heal, as in her constant manias and depressions are "healed"! like when i have to take her to the nut house and she refuses treatment!

Then there is the PTSD. I should "get over it" too. not only do i have missing memories that make my childhood seem like swiss cheese, my dad committed suicide 2 years ago, and i had to find him dead and make his final arrangements. when i'm psychotic i'm there with him, as if he were alive, and i want to just slit my wrists up and end it to be with him. it hurts so bad.

today the lady from SSA called me to clarify some of the job stuff on my claim. i told her that i got pregnant during a mania and had to end my pregnancy. i could hear the judgement. if she knew mania, and what a serious health risk it is, how i had no control over my actions and was a risk anyway to myself and my fetus (being psychotic and wanting to be with my dad)...

people are bitches. especially the little prost-a-tots from hot topic with those dumb shirts. i just want to show them what crazy really is. Niz, you're a good person to talk about it,because DID is a very serious illness, as is BP1 (and BP2- same suicide rate). THIS IS CRAZY!!!

crazy is having to take all these weird meds that make us lactate, make our hair fall out, make our hair change color, make our taste in our mouth change, give us shakes, keep us awake or make us sleep, take away our memory, and more fun stuff. if those kids had to take our meds, they'd decide pretty quick that they are NOT crazy. a teenage mood spell is not crazy, it is a teenage mood spell, and does not mean one is schizophrenic, bipolar, or DID.

RANT

Loon

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Why would anyone use their MI as a crutch? or Make fun of another poor soul with a worse disorder.. .

Hey, wouldn't they be surprised if they actually KNEW that MI"s can change and worsen and - MY GOSH-

actually have a misdiagnosis...and be like the person they are making fun of..

Sorry, guess just nasty today..Frosty (see it changes) ;)

crazy is having to take all these weird meds that make us lactate, make our hair fall out, make our hair change color, make our taste in our mouth change, give us shakes, keep us awake or make us sleep, take away our memory, and more fun stuff.

Let's see... stick seizures and diabetes under "shakes' , add some liver damage ...

Oh! And make us hallucinate! That's always fun ... unless someone really was burning coal on a July evening in Miami ;)

I'm so glad this thread was started. I hate it that like every person I meet (esp guys who want to pick me up) tell me that they're bipolar. No, just because you had mood swings at 14, that does not make you bipolar. Try having psychotic breaks and come back and talk to me.

I also hate when people compare having MILD depression that their gdoc prescribed a temporary baby dose of SSRI to my bipolar. I take three meds. Lithium makes me gain weight, I've been lactating for 5 months on risp, your 25 of zoloft isn't the same. Also just because you were depressed for a year in college, doesn't mean that you understand the lifelong undertaking of bipolar (or MDD for that matter.)

I also hate it that people freak out at the idea of mania. Most of the time I am a well-controlled normal person. I can't really help it when I flip out and your (those people) judgement doesn't help, now does it?

I also have chronic pain. I have been in constant pain for 9 years. I have seen over 50 doctors and lost 2 years of my life in bed. I have had 9 major surgeries and over 20 minor ones. Your sprained ankle does not compare to this. Anything that you had that healed in 6 months doesn't compare to this.

Yes, Pressmama! Here's some more-

As I previously mentioned, I LOVE IT when teenage angst becomes BIPOLAR DISORDER. Yes, try going through the typical line-up of the lovely meds we take, with their glorious side effects (for me including vaginal infections due to pH imbalances, and lactation), and then let's talk about BP.

And MDD? Let's talk about 2 months in the nut house. Feeling bad and sitting in bed for a day and eating some ice cream for a day or two a year, and taking that baby dose of Zoloft doesn't mean you have MDD. It means your gdoc thinks you have a psychosymatic issue and is treating THAT.

And PTSD? Visions that take you back. You are 7 and being raped. Tearing and bleeding. Not you feel bad because you were spanked a couple of times when you were a kid, and you did deserve it.

OCD? You bite your nails. They don't bleed, but you bite your nails. What about someone who MUST wash their hands until they bleed to clean germs off of them? Or check the windows and doors all night because they are convinced someone will break in?

There are obviously milder forms of these disorders that do merit looking into. But for the most part, there are just whining brats who make MI look like a joke, who make it look like some made-up concoction and a fake reason to play hookie from work and school to the rest of the world. Why do we have trouble getting people to believe us? I blame the fakers, or the people who just can't figure out that there are really people in pain out there.

I have some funny t-shirts that would be like the ones you're describing, except I have earned the right to wear them. Ex. If I snap, you are the first to go. I like that one. My dh was a little scared of that one.

How about someone who thinks they have OCD because they are fastidious house cleaners. How about bloody gross-looking cuticles from picking at the skin because it oh so slightly relieves your crippling anxiety.

I'd much rather have a clean house.

Loon- I hope things get better for you w/ your living arrangement(are you living w/ your mom?). If so, I can relate. My mother is one of those really crazy people who think that you are crazy, and drive you crazy-literally.

I like the people I used to work with who "understood" what I was going through because one of them took paxil once. This is the place where I had a mental meltdown at work and everyone wanted to call 911. My sister saved me from that(anohter story). I am sure I am their favorite gossip story(YOU wouldn't believe this one girl who worked here.....)

I have some funny t-shirts that would be like the ones you're describing, except I have earned the right to wear them. Ex. If I snap, you are the first to go. I like that one. My dh was a little scared of that one.

How about someone who thinks they have OCD because they are fastidious house cleaners. How about bloody gross-looking cuticles from picking at the skin because it oh so slightly relieves your crippling anxiety.

I'd much rather have a clean house.

Loon- I hope things get better for you w/ your living arrangement(are you living w/ your mom?). If so, I can relate. My mother is one of those really crazy people who think that you are crazy, and drive you crazy-literally.

I like the people I used to work with who "understood" what I was going through because one of them took paxil once. This is the place where I had a mental meltdown at work and everyone wanted to call 911. My sister saved me from that(anohter story). I am sure I am their favorite gossip story(YOU wouldn't believe this one girl who worked here.....)

I just had somebody on my blogroll 'joke' about how "all OCD" she was being, for checking her answering machine a couple of times that day, to see if her boyfriend had called, because, OMG, they'd been separated for four whole hours!

That's not OCD; that's pathological clinginess. And when I told her so, however politely, and requested that she not trivialize real OCD any further, guess what?

Yep. Banned from commenting priveleges. ;)

OCD? You bite your nails. They don't bleed, but you bite your nails. What about someone who MUST wash their hands until they bleed to clean germs off of them? Or check the windows and doors all night because they are convinced someone will break in?

The latter is NOT OCD.

Because they WILL try to break in!

It's not MY fault I can't remember if I locked the damn doors five minutes later.

And it's NOT paranoia I've got the police reports to prove that they ARE out to get me !

(well, my stuff anyway).

I hate the OCD thing too. People use it now to describe going to the bathroom 5 times a day (try 17-20 that's what I was doing), or washing their hands after touching something gunky (that's just normal, people).

My best friend had it so bad she couldn't function in normal society for a year. I have (had--I guess I'm in remission) it, and I don't think of my case as severe as I was only spending 1.5-2 hours a day doing shit. And null0-I was a checker--specifically a door, window, alarm checker among others.

And quadro--that blocking was totally uncalled for. ;)

I hate the OCD thing too. People use it now to describe going to the bathroom 5 times a day (try 17-20 that's what I was doing), or washing their hands after touching something gunky (that's just normal, people).

My best friend had it so bad she couldn't function in normal society for a year. I have (had--I guess I'm in remission) it, and I don't think of my case as severe as I was only spending 1.5-2 hours a day doing shit. And null0-I was a checker--specifically a door, window, alarm checker among others.

I think my point was pretty much the same as yours. If *I* check and recheck my front door before going to bed it's because

I have a real reason and because sometimes it just won't register in my memory. (If I understand correctly) If you are

checking it precisely 15 times on a set route among the various doors and windows, it's because you HAVE TO ... and

reasons have noting to do with it.

That's just a whole world of pain I'm glad *I* don't have to live with.

Please distinguish between those with mild MI who are annoying and those who try not to be. Not everyone with mild MI is a jerk, and not everyone even mentions their dx. I certainly don't talk about mine much in real life with people who are not close to me. Now, it's possible that I've annoyed someone because I think I understand more about really bad depression than I do, but I don't really have a meter to compare mine with other people's. It's true I resisted the dx for a while, and would prefer to think of myself as "normal", whatever that is. It's also true that I never really wanted to knock myself off very much, except when in really nasty physical pain for weeks. But I'd like to think I understand SOMETHING about it. Same with ADD. I know people who are MUCH spacier than I am. But it tends to look like something I know with the volume turned up or something.

BTW, I think some of my late teenage "angst" might well have been worth taking an SSRI, if we'd had them then. For the early teenage angst, would have given it to the folks. But that's another story...

Please distinguish between those with mild MI who are annoying and those who try not to be.

Please refrain from attempting to tell me what to think, and how to express it. Kthx. ;)

Isn't that exactly what you are directing ldo to do?

By the way, I consider his POV to be very much on-topic, as ADD is considered one of the milder MIs

and the set of misbehaviors that are usually associated with untreated ADD start at "annoying" and

can proceed well into "out of control". (Ya gotta love a situation where there's a hardwired positive

feedback mechanism for risk-taking and/or rage.)

Please distinguish between those with mild MI who are annoying and those who try not to be.

Please refrain from attempting to tell me what to think, and how to express it. Kthx. ;)

Isn't that exactly what you are directing ldo to do?

By the way, I consider his POV to be very much on-topic, as ADD is considered one of the milder MIs

and the set of misbehaviors that are usually associated with untreated ADD start at "annoying" and

can proceed well into "out of control". (Ya gotta love a situation where there's a hardwired positive

feedback mechanism for risk-taking and/or rage.)

I'm not here to talk about ADD. Please start a thread about it elsewhere. Again, :) ?

I'm not here to talk about ADD. Please start a thread about it elsewhere. Again, ;) ?

I don't recall asking if you were interested in talking about, or to, people with ADD.

But if you want to whinge and moan about people running around with "milder" mental illnesses who maybe

just don't "get it" , as in not living with something as debilitating as the broomstick shoved up your retentive

if not necessarily capacious backside, that will generally include people with ADD, Asperger's, Tourette

Syndrome, and a host of other interesting situations. If you can't cope with the blindingly obvious fact that such

people are not only also members here, but also quite capable of posting a response that isn't in line with

your limited concept of a painfully linear shadow of reality ... well kiddo, you know where you can stick

that "WTF" sign that you've grown so fond of of late. Sideways.

Archived