CrazyBoards.org

Lost time after or during a trauma

I was diagnosed four years ago as having DID, but where I do not actually manifest different personalities. Is there anyone here like this who also loses time or gets amnesia like, for a whole week at a time, after a PTSD-type trauma, but not really during it?

Also, why don't meds help DID? Shouldn't anti-anxiety meds help to keep us from dissociating?

Thanks!

Hi MellowYellow, I have PTSD among other things, and I spend a good amount of time in the otherwhere. A lot of times my BF will come home from work and I will kind of "wake up", but not remember what I've done all day or anything. I don't cook at all any more or start water running because I can't count on myself to remember to turn things off, I guess my default self just never thinks to start anything like that. I hate missing my life...it's really annoying, but when I DO stay present, I have other problems. I don't drive due to site impairment, thankfully and I live pretty far from town, so don't have to worry about "waking up" somewhere else.

Trauma flash backs, panic attacks and suicidal attempts or strong ideation will often lead to a period of dissociation for me. I have been told that there isn't really a cure or medicine for it, that it is a defense mechanism for the mind from traumas that we couldn't deal with. One of my tdocs is trying to help me re-train my brain so that i won't just fade away like this, by being mindful and aware of everything around me and with me when I start feeling dissociated...so far it has limited success because I'm not often aware when I'm fading out. I'm curious to see what others post on this.

I asked my doc about meds and DID a long time ago, and I'm not sure I remember correctly, but apparently meds don't help DID patients because one med might be harmful to one alter, yet beneficial to another. Like for instance, if you take an anti-anxiety med, it might have an adverse effect on an alter that doesn't have anxiety.

That's why DID patients can't be helped with meds (usually), but I'm not sure about those who don't manifest personalities...

the majority of people with DID do not have multiple personalities.

dissociation is a coping mechanism to deal with trauma. in DID a person will dissociate when under stress (doesn't have to be stress related to the trauma, or even extreme stress.)

DID is not a chemical problem, it is a coping mechanism. As it is a psychological issue and not a chemical issue, it can only really be treated with talk therapy.

the majority of people with DID do not have multiple personalities.

Really? I always thought that all people with DID had multiple personalities, and those without just had a dissociative disorder NOS.

Diagnostic criteria for 300.14 Dissociative Identity Disorder

A. The presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states (each with its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self).

B. At least two of these identities or personality states recurrently take control of the person's behavior.

C. Inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

D. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., blackouts or chaotic behavior during Alcohol Intoxication) or a general medical condition (e.g., complex partial seizures). Note: In children, the symptoms are not attributable to imaginary playmates or other fantasy play.

Archived