CrazyBoards.org

Dysthymic depression....still

;) Have had depression for 28 yrs.  Have had numerous medications, several "cocktails" of medications.  I don't know what the final concoction could possibly be to make me feel like life is worth living and that I'm not just a piece of shit on the sidewalk.

Along with the depression is extreme anxiety.  I usually need something to trigger it, but it can be something really pretty insignificant.  Once I get the tears flowing, I can't stop.  I might be able to stop for a little while, but then it comes back.  I cry so much I'm just getting sick of it, but don't have any control over it.  Wondering how much longer I can keep my job if this goes on.

I have alot of weird symptoms that seem to be covered under "anxiety"--a panicked feeling, sensitivity to sounds, movements, people around me, I feel kinda like justs before you faint, where your hearing gets a little less sharp, and you feel light-headed.  Going back to my shrink AGAIN this afternoon.  I just want to feel even HALF-WAY normal again.

Hi beth, how did your doctor appointment go this afternoon?  I know well the feeling of not being able to stop the flow of tears.  It truly is a chemical imbalance I believe.  I'm on an anti-depressant now that's working somewhat, and I don't cry nearly as much.  Nothing has changed in my environment except that I'm taking this medicine, so I know that something has changed chemically.

Have you ever tried a beta blocker for the panicky feelings?  My doctor put me on a low dose of it years ago for migraine headaches.  Not only did it stop the headaches, but it also was very helpful for panic attacks.

Beth -

You said you were going to your "shrink" -- is this a psychiatrist (pdoc) or a psychologist (tdoc)?  I ask because Dysthymia needs specialized treatment that is different from an approach to Major Depression.  The cognitive process for Dysthymia is different, and the fact that Dysthymia has been found in studies not to respond well to the medications that are usually successful in treating Major Depressive Disorder suggest a different biological cause as well.  Because of this, Dysthymia is sometimes referred to as "refractive" or treatment-resistant, although I wonder if that's just because the wrong treatments are being used.

I recommend that you get a copy of The Half-Empty Heart by Alan Downs, PhD.  It's a good book on Dysthymia, and most importantly, addresses the specific cognitive causes, with a program of exercises.

Give it a look, and let us know how you get on.

Cerberus

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Dysthymia has been found in studies not to respond well to the medications that are usually successful in treating Major Depressive Disorder suggest a different biological cause as well.  Because of this, Dysthymia is sometimes referred to as "refractive" or treatment-resistant, although I wonder if that's just because the wrong treatments are being used.

So are we thinking this is more like cyclothymia, than MDD, and that is why the usual MDD treatments are not working?

Just a random thought.

Archived