CrazyBoards.org

Do you pay for phone calls from pdoc?

I would check with your insurance.  My daughter's pdoc was charging us over $60 for phone calls to ask about tweaking meds or to consult with other doctors about her meds (neurologist, E/R doc), and the insurance wouldn't pay it.  We appealed it and they ended up deciding it was a service the doc should have included in the price of office visits , or something like that.  Since he was a participating provider, he ended up having to write it off.  (We switched pdocs right afterwards.) 

My husband had an actual "phone appointment" with our pdoc because he couldn't get in to see her in person.  Insurance doesn't cover it, and we're paying out of pocket, although he wasn't charged full office visit price.  That one seems OK to me.

I'm suprised to hear that you are able to speak to your Pdoc on any regular basis.

I lived in a moderately large city and worked in health care of 5 years and never spoke to a doctor (non-Pdoc).  It just isn't efficient for the doctor and as you mentioned, they can't bill for the call.  And the only thing doctors have of value is time. 

I've had plenty of doctors work me into the schedule for something urgent, but I don't expect to talk to them on the phone.        A.M.

I just talked to my pdoc on the phone today , as a matter of fact. I have also called her several times. I have never heard of any kind of pdoc charging. it's a good thing- I'd be broke!mel

I don't get charged to leave my pdoc messages,but he rarely calls me back.  Usually some orderly calls with my chart in front of her and asks if my symptoms have gotten better or worse or whatnot.  And no matter how much I persist that my symptoms have gotten worse, I can't get that pdoc on the phone for the life of me.

sometimes my pdoc calls back and sometimes she doesn't. I never get charged though. I think she calls back based on the urgency or something. Anyway, I speak to her and never once get charged. She did however charge me 15.00 to fill out some paperwork for me.

Erika

Maybe it was the frequency of the calls - As Air Marshall says I'm surprised you get the actual pdoc on the phone and not one of his supporting crew - nurse, orderly, etc.

As much as we hate to admit it, we are not the center of their universe and they do have other patients.  They are also human and may experience unwarranted frustration at people when that person (bp in semi-crisis but not full  blown) continues to call.  Just a thought. 

My new resolve is to try to see things from another perspective.  But I'm still liking mine the best.

No charge for pdoc calls here.  We only actually speak if there's an emergency and he can't see me right away; but he won't make med changes without seeing me in person, and he's not my tdoc, so it's very, very rare, only maybe twice in 5 years.  I believe any charge is included in his regular hourly rate.

On the other hand, I now communicate with him by email so he can read a long harangue and figure out whether he needs to see me.

My tdoc also doesn't charge for calls, but that's just emergency calls, and mostly messages on voicemail.  I did once have a telephone appointment with her when I was sick (she has weakened immune system from MS, so won't see me in person if I'm ill), and got charged the regular rate.

When I call my pdoc and leave a message for her, she calls me back.  She has even called just to check up on me.  I've never been charged for this.  I'm really greatful for her most of the time.

I can leave messages with pdoc A, who is leaving within the week.  Pdoc B does not give out his extension number.  I get to dial the psychiatric nurse coordinator, who makes listening noises and points out the time of one's next appointment.  Since I'm also... what qualifies as a semi-crisis?... going apeshit on trees and had a tantrum while leaving work today, she added that she'd see if something could be arranged with my pdoc for tomorrow.  Something about my spending a week in a small house with half a dozen small children in another province, starting Thursday....  I want to go, but oh god.  I think I'll go walk some more....

No, and she actually calls of her own accord every 2-3 days to see how I'm doing (I'm in the middle of some radical med cocktail changes).  She is the first doc who has ever done this without my having to leave a million messages to chase her down, but even the other ones (and I've been through some pretty awful ones) have never billed me for over-the-phone discussions.

I've had several emergency conversations with my pdoc via phone, and never been charged.  But, then again, my pdoc will sit with you for two hours and calm you down when you are losing it during an "emergency" (maybe an emergency for me, not so much for his other clients waiting around  ;) )

Jadegreendiva

I've never been charged for phone calls. I call when it is time for an emergency med switch or i'll go apeshit and into the nut house. He's mroe than happy to talk to me, and calls me back fast. He'd rather not have to see me as an inpatient!

I have only been charged a couple of times for phone calls, and I was never quite sure what the policy was. my insurance policies never covered it.

I have asked my various pdocs over the years, when was it considered OK to call them at home / on cell during the weekends or evenings.  They fairly consistently have said it was okay to call if it would prevent a hospitalization.

Archived