CrazyBoards.org

hello all,

Topamax has helped me alot. It just hard to do stuff involving thinking and writing. I'm taking a writing course for college in 2 weeks. I take 100 mg of topamax right now. Has anyone had any experience lowering the dosage and recovering from the mental fog that comes from topamax? Life is a struggle. Its either have the ups and downs with no medication or medicated but have a hard time in school with work. urghh. Thanks.  ;)

Well, actually--sometimes you have to go UP to find your "sweet spot", but again, that's always assuming the Topamax is gonna be right for you.  Picky and strange, this med is.  Me, for instance--I felt smarter at 200, but the fog totally lifted when I hit 400 mg/day.  Ya just never know 'til ya get there.

On the other hand--I still have problems with the ol' word finding/switrching.  Thank God for dictionaries and thesauri.  (And yes, I pulled out the dictionary to double check on that one!)

Here's a good one for ya. I'm fairly certain that I'm better now at 100mg than I was at 300mg; but I'm not absolutely sure as my memory is so shot to hell! As a graphic designer and writer, I must needs be able to command the English (and sometimes other) languages. I am sure than my noun aphasia has diminished...or would that be improved? Crapola. Oh well, it's been a long day. At least I haven't gotten lost on the way home to my place of four years' residence in a really long time.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to increase my dose again if the agitation, mood swings, etc. began to return or increase. There's no point being clever if you're a wreck; though I don't think I would have agreed with that statement in my twenties. Of course, that's prolly why I was an emotional mess in my twenties who self medicated with alcohol becasue I had no insurance and little idea of my meds options. The Topa also took away all those wicked, little cravings but good.

How long have you been on it? Ultimately, we're all wandering alone in the desert, striving to find our own "sweet spots" with these meds, as cns termed it. No one can tell us exactly how a particular dose (or med) will affect us as we're all so different. Should you go up or down? What's your hunch, for starters? Were you better in the beginning, when you first began taking it at smaller doses? Who knows, something under 100mg may well do the trick, or you may find that you need to ramp it up over time. I certainly wish you luck. I know how difficult it is to regain your emotional well being at such a high price. Part of my price is that it takes me fuhevvvahhh to write anything. I no longer have the prolific nature I once did. I'm actually proud of a well thought out grocery list, not to mention a post of any length!

Good luck with your quest to smarten up on the Topa. I think it can be done...even if it's with trade offs. You might want to make sure that your diet and supplements are up to snuff as well, particularly essential fatty acids (EFA's), as they can aid with memory plus a host of other health benefits. And remember to drink lts of water! I'm always saying this; even though I'm sure everyone already knows it. I just want every one to do it. I feel so much better when I heed my own advice. ;)

I take 50mg and just started back on Topa after a couple months break. The problem with figuring out how you felt on different doses is that there are often other stimuli affecting how you feel. I'm bp so I'm up and down. Right now, major life events have me on a roller coaster that would send a 'regular' person into a spin. So, how do I tell what is working how and when?

Arrrghh...I originally started on 100mg and felt really dumb and went to 50mg. It may have settled a bit. Then, I was feeling worse than on it. I realized I needed it back. I felt like I did before I started it. Now I'm back on for about 3 weeks I guess. I do feel better but still have dumb and dumber brain. Forget where I'm going, my age, my social, just silly things. Perhaps, I need more...sigh...hard to say.

amers

I take 50mg and just started back on Topa after a couple months break. The problem with figuring out how you felt on different doses is that there are often other stimuli affecting how you feel. I'm bp so I'm up and down. Right now, major life events have me on a roller coaster that would send a 'regular' person into a spin. So, how do I tell what is working how and when?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say whenever you feel 'stable' for the longest period of time. I know what you mean as far as it being hard to tell. The trick is to stay at a consistant dose (when you can) and if you're still up and down like crazy, and feel you need to change it..ok..but then stay at that dose for at least 2 weeks....eventually, if you get to a 'sweet spot' where you are *less* up and down than before, I think it's safe to say you hit your mark. If it never happens..well, maybe the drug isnt' right for you.

I would say whenever you feel 'stable' for the longest period of time. I know what you mean as far as it being hard to tell. The trick is to stay at a consistant dose (when you can) and if you're still up and down like crazy, and feel you need to change it..ok..but then stay at that dose for at least 2 weeks....eventually, if you get to a 'sweet spot' where you are *less* up and down than before, I think it's safe to say you hit your mark. If it never happens..well, maybe the drug isnt' right for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for responding. Sometimes, I feel like I pour my guts out here and no one responds at all. I know its not all about me or anything but...dang...

Anyway, Italked to my pdoc last thursday but she isn't going to be changing anything right now. I'm in such a screwy turmoil changing Topamax just isn't happening. She just gave me Klonopin for a short term. I go back tomorrow.

Again, thanks for being  there.

amers

Archived