CrazyBoards.org

anyone got some advice for me?

Here is my situation

After steadly putting on weight from my anti-depressant (or one of my cocktail meds) i decided to take my docs advice and exercise three times a week and eat right.

So i go to the gym to do a class, all i could focus on was how fat i was compared to the others, i kept getting distracted and making mistakes. the instructer came over to help me, so i burst into tears and ran out of the gym.

Drove around in my car crying and now i am here.

I hate this weight gain even though it is not that much for me. i just dont know what to do i am so emotional over everything so how can i train and exercise.

I thought exercise was meant to make you feel good not depressed, same with these meds.

Dear Iona,

It sounds like you feel under a lot of pressure. Going to the gym can be a daunting experience. I have had many gym memberships, and exercised in group classes for many years, but I just don't like it anymore. I have to go outside, or workout at home.

But that's me. What do you  like? Not being able to do a particular class (and I'm sure you could do it if you attended a few times) doesn't mean you can't derive benefits from exercise, or won't be able to lose weight. But as my friend (an impressive athlete himself) always reminds me, "patience".

You can't build endurance, and strength and muscle tone in one day. But you can over time. The only way you won't is if you give up.

First find something you like to do. It can be by yourself. Running is tough at first, but as you build endurance it's fun, and a great way to drop pounds. So is bicycling. It gets you outside and is a great lower body workout. Consider taking a spin class. Nobody has time to look at you, and you can set the bike to your own pace. If the music's good, it's fun, and you will burn a lot of calories. It might seem tough at first, but you'd be surprised how quickly you'll catch up.

Don't despair and give up this tremendous benefit to your mind and body.

I'm no triathlete, I can run a little, and I cycle indoors and out. I've been derailed by physical illness or injury many times. But I keep going back. I'm going to be 49 in a few weeks, and I'm in my best shape ever.

I'm on anti-depressants, asthma, and allergy meds. I've put on the lbs, and lost the lbs. More than once.

Start small. Add more a little at a time. If I can do it, so can you. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Runners and cyclists pass me all the time.

But I won't get faster if I stop moving.

You can definitely do this. I know it.

Cheers, Elaine

I tried going to gyms a couple of times and I really hated the whole gym experience. Instead, I found a water aerobics class at my local community center ($2 a class, pay as you go) and also take a belly dance class every Wednesday ($9 per class...no contract required). I am a big girl (no meds involved...I am not MI, but married to a bp) and these two setting have been the most accepting, positive, supportive environments I have ever been in. The total opposite of my gym experiences! I have managed to stick with the dancing for over a year and the water aerobics for 6 months. I always look forward to class and have made new friends.

There are more ways to get exercise without joining gyms. It might be tough to find them, but it is worth looking.

Iona,

How is it going? I hope you have given thought to giving physical activity a chance.

It is always tough when you first start out. Only do as much as you can handle mentally or physically so that you don't skip it. If it seems too hard or too time consuming you won't want to face it (I know).

As you get in the habit you will be rewarded when you see and feel your progress. Then you will be able to do more and more. Then you're hooked (in a good way).

I can't imagine life without it. Sure, it has been work, and I'm far from winning (or even doing) a 5K. Who cares? I can ride my bike for an hour, do 15 miles, and burn 700+ calories. I feel as good as anyone crossing a finish line.

And the toned body is a pretty good trophy. After all, I am a middle aged housewife. (And MI!)

Cheers,

Elaine

Even walking will be helpful to blow off steam and lose weight. The traffic scares me and I'm dealing with mild agoraphobia but since I've moved here I've needed to walk to get whatever it is I need and I've found that not only am I losing weight but I feel good even if I only walk a few blocks. If you want to go to the gym theres one called Curves that has a 30 minute workout and is for women that are overweight.

Lilie

Archived